Why Mike Riley Didn't Succeed @ Nebraska

BIG ERN

Riley brought a high turn over offense and non existent defense along with him as sadly that was his trademark at OSU.

I am also totally sick of Nebraska being Wisconsin's garbage dumping grounds for folks like Bill Callahan,  Kevin Cosgrove, Shawn Eichorst, & Gerome Stevenson. Now people even mention Bret Bielema as a possible candidate for the HC job.

• Plus1 3

I honestly think that Mike Riley missed his calling. Nevertheless, it is not too late, I personally think that he would make an excellent addition to the Bud Light commercial series "To the Pit of Misery....Dilly Dilly". I can totally picture him and Diaco in the Pit of Misery commercial talking how they scammed us out of our own BUD LIGHT MONEY.

• Plus1 1

What is puzzling to me is the idea that Eichorst worked under Barry Alvarez and knew the blueprint for success.  Barry duplicated the Husker formula started by Devaney and continued by TO.  Instead of using that pattern he went 180, following the path of the idiot Peterson,  and hired Riley (Callahan lite).  I'm not a huge conspiracy guy but it almost looks like Eichorst was brought in to put a stake in the heart of Husker football.  Did the academics (Pearlman) say to themselves that Nebraska football was too powerful and the only way to grow the academic side was to weaken the athletic dept and it's cash cow?  Did Barry want Husker FB to fail and make their path easier?  Did the powers that be in the Big 10 want to keep a boot on the neck of the Husker program?  Or were our admins and large donators a bunch of cluster dumps that couldn't pound sand in a rat hole?  This program has paid over and over for stupid decisions and hires that just never work out.  Time to right the ship and set a good course.

Edited by TonyStalloni
  • Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Melby said:

He brought subpar assistance with him, then let SE hire his assistance. Diaco is a cancer that turned an 8-4 team into 4-8.

Can't disagree. A Banker led defense likely gets us a few more W's. It doesn't matter now and in all honesty this staff may be doing us a favor if we land Frost, but I think the talent was there to have a better season, it just all fell apart at Oregon then the next week at home.

i think the biggest problem is that he seem enamored with the high star wr and qb recruits rather than the line recruits.      without protection the most talented players at qb/rb/wr won't be able to do their stuff.  make your line a priority and things will get better even if the star ranking at the skill positions drops.

• Plus1 2