Moos Cautions Players to Be Patient

Mavric

2 hours ago, Woody Tressel said:

How long with Nebraska give the next coach to implement their system and succeed?  It takes time with players potentially leaving, changes in coaching staff, and philosophy/cultural change.  How patient with the Great Huskers be? 

For me, it depends on the product and the amount of improvement being made.  I don't think three years is enough, but the team had regressed so badly that the university had no choice but to fire this staff.  The higher ups asked to compete and this team gave them blowout loss after blowout loss.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

It's my understanding that they all cleaned out their offices beside Bray.  That doesn't mean they can't be brought back by the next coach but as of right now I'm pretty sure they are all not employed at Nebraska.

All except Bray were fired. They're free to reapply.

Again, I think Moos did the right thing. The next coach will have a clean slate to work with. He won't have to start his tenure firing Riley's leftovers.

Been off social media for a while and this is one of the reasons: we lose perspective.  20 years ago when a coach got fired this type of thing was being responded to in the exact same way.  The only difference now is that we get to hear about the knee jerk emotions of some 20 yo kids and now people are getting antsy.  Calm down, relax and enjoy SF as the next head coach.  Trust in the process and how it is all going to work out.  We will be fine.  The future is bright and all will be well.  Go enjoy the day people.

11 minutes ago, HIHusker said:

Been off social media for a while and this is one of the reasons: we lose perspective.  20 years ago when a coach got fired this type of thing was being responded to in the exact same way.  The only difference now is that we get to hear about the knee jerk emotions of some 20 yo kids and now people are getting antsy.  Calm down, relax and enjoy SF as the next head coach.  Trust in the process and how it is all going to work out.  We will be fine.  The future is bright and all will be well.  Go enjoy the day people.

So right you are.

• Plus1 1

I find it funny when fans say that kids need to toughen up and deal with it in terms of a coaching change.  You know who gets the raw end of it in college sports?  The players. The kids.  Coaches can come and go without consequences.  If they are fired they are usually entitled to their money from the contract. If a coach decides to leave for greener pastures and does not honor his contract that is called part of the business and his new employer takes care of the cost.   His coordinator or position coach will often leave if he has done a good job because they are hired elsewhere. These are still kids and they develop special bonds with these men, very much father figures at times.  Promises are made to the player that their coaches will be by them through thick and thin for four years.  For many reasons, that is not always the case.  The kids honor their scholarships 100 to 1 over coaches.  If a kid wants to leave he has to sit out a year. As for fans, we all want what we want, and when we want it, but really we have no skin in the game, besides feelings and emotions.  How dare anyone question a kid for having those as well.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA
  • Plus1 8

2 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I find it funny when fans say that kids need to toughen up and deal with it in terms of a coaching change.  You know who gets the raw end of it in college sports?  The players. The kids.  Coaches can come and go without consequences.  If they are fired they are usually entitled to their money from the contract. If a coach decides to leave for greener pastures and does not honor his contract that is called part of the business and his new employer takes care of the cost.   His coordinator or position coach will often leave if he has done a good job because they are hired elsewhere. These are still kids and they develop special bonds with these men, very much father figures at times.  Promises are made to the player they coaches will be by them through thick and thin for four years.  For many reasons, that is not always the case.  The kids honor their scholarships 100 to 1 over coaches.  If a kid wants to leave he has to sit out a year. As for fans, we all want what we want, and when we want it, but really we have no skin in the game,  Besides feelings and emotions.  How dare anyone question a kid for having those as well.  

So much truth in this paragraph.  While coaches do have immense pressure to produce a good product, most of us in the business world do also.  Solich, Callahan, Pelini and now Riley have all been let go with a sizable check for years to come.  Players have to decide if their talents fit the new system and whether they should transfer.  That would be especially hard on a young man who has two years left and has used his red shirt.  He must forfeit another year and sit out.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I find it funny when fans say that kids need to toughen up and deal with it in terms of a coaching change.  You know who gets the raw end of it in college sports?  The players. The kids.  Coaches can come and go without consequences...The kids honor their scholarships 100 to 1 over coaches.  If a kid wants to leave he has to sit out a year. As for fans, we all want what we want, and when we want it, but really we have no skin in the game,  Besides feelings and emotions.  How dare anyone question a kid for having those as well.  

Agreed and well said.

I've always maintained that when a head coach is fired, kids from that program should be allowed to transfer to another out-of-conference school, penalty-free, to make things fair and equitable for the kids. If anything, it would give programs some pause in firing coaches and maybe slow down the yearly roller-coaster the fire/hire cycle in college sports has become. 

• Plus1 4