Beyond the pale?

dvdcrr

18 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

So what I was getting at, ( it obviously has been taken too literally) is the principle or idea that you shouldn't take money for doing nothing, and the point it would make to him if he were asked to give back.

Former HCMR did not have win/loss on his contract.  No NCAA coach does, they may get a bonus for winning certain things but they are not contractually punished for losses.  He agreed to follow the NCAA rules, paint the program, University and State in a good light, encourage his players to fulfill their educational requirements and probably had some kind of "morals' clause.  MR upheld all of that.  We fired him for losing games, he didn't violate anything on his contract, he deserves that money, sorry if you are so angry you cant see that.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

See the disconnect here that you are refusing to acknowledge, out of blind love I suppose, is that if you display COURAGE, LOYALTY, INTEGRITY, and EXCELLENCE, HARD WORK, LEADERSHIP then you WIN.  And when you don't then you go 0 for October and November.  We have a scoreboard.

Therefore his job was to WIN.

At Nebraska we work hard to WIN. How long are you going to float this program at 4-8?  Not very long and you know it. 

I don't want to say the worst in a guy, but in no way is his tenure to be considered a success. 

No, the disconnect here is that none of what you're saying has anything to do with what UNL agreed to in a contract.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

See the disconnect here that you are refusing to acknowledge, out of blind love I suppose, is that if you display COURAGE, LOYALTY, INTEGRITY, and EXCELLENCE, HARD WORK, LEADERSHIP then you WIN. 

What you just typed is not true, at all. Great people finish further back than first all the time, all avenues of sport and life. Especially when so many others who don't display courage, loyalty, and integrity, and who blatantly cheat and get away with it are your competition.

100% of the people who have responded to this thread have thought that you're either not mentally okay, or you're an ass, or you've got screwed up priorities. How many people until you look in the mirror instead of scapegoating, obfuscating, distracting and going after a good man for doing his best? 

19 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What you just typed is not true, at all. Great people finish further back than first all the time, all avenues of sport and life. Especially when so many others who don't display courage, loyalty, and integrity, and who blatantly cheat and get away with it are your competition.

100% of the people who have responded to this thread have thought that you're either not mentally okay, or you're an ass, or you've got screwed up priorities. How many people until you look in the mirror instead of scapegoating, obfuscating, distracting and going after a good man for doing his best? 

Listen I don't know you, you could be a major ass, (your word) I don't know.

But I do know any man that fails to do a job and walks away with millions of dollars needs scrutiny.

As I said IN THE FIRST POST, I know we are contractually obligated.  All I am saying is it would make a point to this guy (Riley) that coming here ,not giving a damn ( and he did not give a damn, or he was completely incompetent, you pick) and walking out with millions is just insane.

You say he was a good coach and he tried.  BOGUS.  We were not COMPETITIVE AT ALL against Minnesota, and IOWA.  If we were at least competitive then I would believe.  Accountability much?

And I am not the only one who thinks so.  There might not be many in here, and those who are here are probably hesitant to put up with the abuse.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

Listen I don't know you, you could be a major ass, (your word) I don't know.

But I do know any man that fails to do a job and walks away with millions of dollars needs scrutiny.

As I said IN THE FIRST POST, I know we are contractually obligated.  All I am saying is it would make a point to this guy (Riley) that coming here ,not giving a damn ( and he did not give a damn, or he was completely incompetent, you pick) and walking out with millions is just insane.

You say he was a good coach and he tried.  BOGUS.  We were not COMPETITIVE AT ALL against Minnesota, and IOWA.  If we were at least competitive then I would believe.  Accountability much?

And I am not the only one who thinks so.  There might not be many in here, and those who are here are probably hesitant to put up with the abuse.

And then what happens when you're trying to hire the next coach and you've set the precedence that you don't honor your contracts and that the guaranteed money may not be guaranteed?

The reason that the university signed those contracts was to get the coach to come in the first place. You need to remember that the coaches are in high demand, which is why they're getting such large contracts with guaranteed money.

We offered Mike Riley a job. Mike Riley did not ask us for a job. He accepted what we gave him, which was a contract with included a buyout. Mike Riley is not unlike the rest of humanity in obviously accepting an offer of millions of dollars for trying to do a job but knowing he'll get the money either way. That's a dream scenario for your average American citizen. The only thing insane, if any, is on our end. 

Image result for beyond the pale history fence ireland

Just a bit of Irish history.

"The Pale" or the "English Pale" was the portion of Ireland controlled and ruled by the English King in the late middle ages.  The boundary was reinforced with fences or ditches.  The Latin "Palus" refers to either a stake or fence, and also came to mean any type of boundary.

You're welcome.

• Plus1 3