Beyond the pale?

dvdcrr

He stated he was sorry he didn't do a good enough job. He never quit on Nebraska.  We owe him every penny.  He left like a professional, seems to truly like Nebraska an its fans.  I don't think there is anyone more upset about his failure than he is.  Just let him go.  I will say this though, it would not surprise me for him to do something for Nebraska.  He just seems the type to feel a responsibility to Nebraska.

He left in away we as fans should be proud of, saying nothing but great things about Nebraska.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Would or would it not be appropriate for someone from the University, and short of that just any Nebraska citizen, to ask Mike Riley to repay about 3 million to the University?

Wishful thinking.  My hero was Gary Anderson. "Coaching is not about the mighty dollar"

MR was a con artist ????  Honest John ????  You never know .............

Anyway, I hate buyout contract.   Usually 1-month or less severance

Riley is a very decent, honorable man and is not a bad coach.   He is not a great coach and in the circumstances that NU football is in, it takes a great coach to get the job done.   We better be hiring a GREAT coach because a good one is not good enough in my opinion.   We have a lot of things going for us but we are not on an equal footing with many of the 'elites' out there and never have been.   We have to excel and overachieve and we certainly can do it (we've done it before for many years).   Past results are no guaranty of future success BUT there are a very strong indicator!   We KNOW its quite possible although it is very difficult.   

I am even more pleased and impressed with Riley than ever with the respectful and sincere way he has left the program.   I wish, somehow, we could find a way to keep him in the program on some basis.   He might make a great press secretary (ala Don Bryant).  I am not even sure who our current one is?

This is a joke thread right?

Right?

We made a deal. We keep our side of the deal.

Simple as that.

Who among us would back out on an honest deal? Riley wasn't the right guy at the right time, but he may have BROUGHT us to the right place at the right time and therefore the right guy, Scott Frost, should he come home.

If anything, Riley should get a bonus if that turns out.

• Plus1 2

Say what you will, but Mike Riley was lobbying very hard to keep his job, right up to the very end, knowing full well how the tide had turned against him.

Lobbying for your job may seem like a no-brainer, but it also means Riley would rather fight that tide, take on the doubters and outright haters, double-down on everything from recruiting to revamping his staff, and commit to life in Lincoln, Nebraska, instead of simply taking the money he was owed and escaping the fishbowl. 

• Plus1 4
20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Say what you will, but Mike Riley was lobbying very hard to keep his job, right up to the very end, knowing full well how the tide had turned against him.

Lobbying for your job may seem like a no-brainer, but it also means Riley would rather fight that tide, take on the doubters and outright haters, double-down on everything from recruiting to revamping his staff, and commit to life in Lincoln, Nebraska, instead of simply taking the money he was owed and escaping the fishbowl. 

Yep. He fought in the face of adversity. Regardless of the results on the field you have to love that. We all heard Riley was a great man, we saw the smile and nice guy attitude, but nothing proved Rileys character more to me than how he has handled this season and his firing. Truly a great human being, and even though it was bad on the field I will always remember HCMR fondly. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

It has been suggested and I will pose for discussion this:

Would or would it not be appropriate for someone from the University, and short of that just any Nebraska citizen, to ask Mike Riley to repay about 3 million to the University?

As in " Hey Mike, you know since you are a caring, understanding guy with lots of love for this state and all, and since you really have not done your job for a year or so, how about leaving some money back for the honest hard working people of this state?  With that kind of lucrative money, isn't there some sort of expectation of performance, and was that expectation met?  

I mean we have kids who can't afford tuition, single parent homes, and this dough could really make a difference.  That is a LOT of money.  You could fund an entire academic department at the U or any of the State colleges for that and let kids in FREE.  This is not play money.

Now I know he doesn't owe us anything contractually.  But given what that money could mean for our state and our people, shouldn't somebody at least ask?

No.  Nobody should ask that.  Not even on a message board.  Ridiculous.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Flood said:

This is a joke thread right?

Right?

We made a deal. We keep our side of the deal.

Simple as that.

Who among us would back out on an honest deal? Riley wasn't the right guy at the right time, but he may have BROUGHT us to the right place at the right time and therefore the right guy, Scott Frost, should he come home.

If anything, Riley should get a bonus if that turns out.

What are you, his agent?  I agree that Riley should receive what he is contractually obligated to, but a bonus?  Not.  A.  Chance.  

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

It has been suggested and I will pose for discussion this:

As in " Hey Mike, you know since you are a caring, understanding guy with lots of love for this state and all, and since you really have not done your job for a year or so, how about leaving some money back for the honest hard working people of this state?  With that kind of lucrative money, isn't there some sort of expectation of performance, and was that expectation met?  

I mean we have kids who can't afford tuition, single parent homes, and this dough could really make a difference.  That is a LOT of money.  You could fund an entire academic department at the U or any of the State colleges for that and let kids in FREE.  This is not play money.

Now I know he doesn't owe us anything contractually.  But given what that money could mean for our state and our people, shouldn't somebody at least ask?

Um....

No 

No accountability.  NU sinking to the bottom was just a tragedy I guess?

He is a great guy.  It is not his fault.  It is no ones fault really.  

You've got two camps.  Those folks who think Riley is a great guy, and did his best and deserves every penny...

And those who believe he never really tried, never was worth the money, and never delivered on anything he said.

Growing up, right, I learned actions are much louder than words.  Riley sure has the right words.  His JOB though was to WIN.  That is what we are supposed to do at NU.  WIN.  

I am glad somebody has the cash to throw at these guys on the way out of town.  I know it is a little hard to come by in most parts of the state.

I personally feel he should apologize for his apathy, incompetence, lack of regard, and reverance for NU football.  I think he should apologize to all of his players and coaches for failing to motivate them, inspire, or teach them the right things to win at Nebraska.

I think he only EARNED what an average tenured faculty would get not a penny more.  High plains robbery.  

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

No accountability.  NU sinking to the bottom was just a tragedy I guess?

He is a great guy.  It is not his fault.  It is no ones fault really.  

You've got two camps.  Those folks who think Riley is a great guy, and did his best and deserves every penny...

And those who believe he never really tried, never was worth the money, and never delivered on anything he said.

Growing up, right, I learned actions are much louder than words.  Riley sure has the right words.  His JOB though was to WIN.  That is what we are supposed to do at NU.  WIN.  

I am glad somebody has the cash to throw at these guys on the way out of town.  I know it is a little hard to come by in most parts of the state.

I personally feel he should apologize for his apathy, incompetence, lack of regard, and reverance for NU football.  I think he should apologize to all of his players and coaches for failing to motivate them, inspire, or teach them the right things to win at Nebraska.

I think he only EARNED what an average tenured faculty would get not a penny more.  High plains robbery.  

I'm part of the Pay What You Owe camp. Everything you're saying is just an attempt rationalize the university reneging on a signed contract.

BTW, good call @knapplc

41 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

His JOB though was to WIN.  That is what we are supposed to do at NU.  WIN.  

No, it isn't.  Winning has never been the stated purpose of Nebraska.  That's what YOU expect, but it is not what Nebraska athletics is about.

The Nebraska Athletics Mission Statement

The mission of the University of Nebraska Athletics Department is to serve our student-athletes, coaches, staff and fans by:

Displaying INTEGRITY in every decision and action

Building and maintaining TRUST with others

Giving RESPECT to each person we encounter

Pursuing unity of purpose through TEAMWORK

Maintaining LOYALTY to student-athletes, co-workers, fans and the University of Nebraska

It seems like you're completely forgetting the words engraved into the four corners of Memorial Stadium, too: 

Northwest: "Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."
Northeast: "Their Lives they held their countrys trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."
Southeast: "In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nations Wars."
Southwest: "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

The last one may be the most famous, but the first one could have been written specifically about Mike Riley, and what he teaches. 

Yeah, winning is great.  But the lust for winning should not overpower someone so much that they embarrass themselves and the team they root for in this manner. 

This thread embodies everything Nebraska Athletics stands against.  It's shameful, greedy, and dishonorable. 

Edited by knapplc
  • Plus1 9