How Scott Frost evolved Chip Kelly’s offense

Thanks for finding that, good read.

Kelly said, “I think the coaches that are the best, really what they do is make the simple seem complex to their opponents, but they make the complex seem very simple to their own teams."

This is really the key to both his and Frost’s offense. Though Frost has taken it to another level by adding additional layers of deceptions to his concepts, underneath it all are just the same base plays over and over again. And that’s the beauty of it all.

The article helps to understand why in the few UCF games I watched their offense made defenses look silly at times.  Usually they moved the ball with ease.  James Bond offense.

Back in the glory days of Husker football, we had so many schools within the state running the option (Turman old school and still does) and basically being a feeder program to Lincoln.

Things haven’t been the same for quite a long time now but Frost’s offense is very easy to run by high schools. Already see Huffman doing it and many others will follow imo. 

5 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Back in the glory days of Husker football, we had so many schools within the state running the option (Turman old school and still does) and basically being a feeder program to Lincoln.

Things haven’t been the same for quite a long time now but Frost’s offense is very easy to run by high schools. Already see Huffman doing it and many others will follow imo. 

I thought it was cool to see Huffman got the offense from IWCC who got the offense from Oregon (when Frost was there).

Chip Kelly changed the college football scene forever.  The majority are playing up tempo and some form of a spread offense.  The majority have implemented the perimeter passing game.

Defense has also caught up and the spread blur offense is being contained.

Cal first figured out how to contain it with a cover zero defense.  Most teams run a constant nickel package.  The good defenses today recruit hybrid defenders to stop this type of Offense.

Kids who can play inside and out. Linebacker and DB.   Many teams also utilize a walk LB or back in my  day we called it a monster back.

I'm glad coach Frost is tweaking it non stop and I believe as the years go on in the Big Ten he'll continue to adjust.  Football like all things is constant change, adaptation to have an advantage.

I'm still from school of thought that Defense wins championships and all tough games are won in the trenches.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

Chip Kelly changed the college football scene forever.  The majority are playing up tempo and some form of a spread offense.  The majority have implemented the perimeter passing game.

Defense has also caught up and the spread blur offense is being contained.

Cal first figured out how to contain it with a cover zero defense.  Most teams run a constant nickel package.  The good defenses today recruit hybrid defenders to stop this type of Offense.

Kids who can play inside and out. Linebacker and DB.   Many teams also utilize a walk LB or back in my  day we called it a monster back.

I'm glad coach Frost is tweaking it non stop and I believe as the years go on in the Big Ten he'll continue to adjust.  Football like all things is constant change, adaptation to have an advantage.

I'm still from school of thought that Defense wins championships and all tough games are won in the trenches.

FYI, UCF had 2 All-Conference o-linemen, 1 All-Conference d-lineman, and 1 All-Conference LB (First Team).  UCF had another 3 players from those positions that made 2nd team All-Conference.  I think Frost understands the importance of winning the battle in the trenches.

I ran into the owner of my son's baseball program.  He's a native Oklahoman, and played baseball at OU in the 1980s.  He said, "You know what made NU so great at their peak?  Their linemen would beat you physically, and the guys behind them were too fast to be caught.  NU would run through you and by you at the same time."  I look forward to Frost doing similar things at Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
34 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

Nail on the head. Hybrid, multiple front defenses will be the norm in a few years. Many, including our incoming defense, already are.

This natural counter to these defenses is to have a good downfield passing attack, which is why it's more important to throw accurately downfield in Frost's offense that it is to be a great runner.

I don't think you can scheme to beat Frost's offense, fwiw. He stretches you vertically, horizontally, and most important, diagonally. You have to make up numbers with dominant personnel, like Auburn possesses up front.

• Plus1 1