Quarterback

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Right but its a nice play to have in the back pocket and when they run it, it usually goes for a big play when they get to their 3rd option because of the way Mckenzie runs it. He is great at getting the defenders to commit to him and getting it out to his guy last second. There was a play in the championship game it almost looked like a bad or dangerous play by him, but he got it out to the pitch man for a big gain.

I understand.  My point is, a QB that doesn't run the option well isn't going to stop him from being the starting QB if he does the other stuff well.  Especially in a first year in transition.

And, they can be very effective.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  My point is, a QB that doesn't run the option well isn't going to stop him from being the starting QB if he does the other stuff well.  Especially in a first year in transition.

All I'm saying is if I have a faster guy who can't make good reads for the option and a slower guy who makes the reads well, I would probably go with the slower guy all other things equal.

I guess this would just be an extension of decision making which to me is a key factor. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Thanks.

I know it's a long shot, but I'm curious if Lee could do well in Frost's system. If the system could do well with both less mobile passers and dual threat QB's, it'd be impressive.

I actually thought Lee did pretty well rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run. Usually because if he stood in the pocket he was most likely getting blasted 

On 12/3/2017 at 3:13 PM, southernoregonhusker said:

I loved Tommie, but he was a terrible thrower and I was nervous everytime he went back to pass.  In today's game, a fifty percent completion rating won't cut it.  

.tommie....terrible thrower...? 

Yes his first 3 years he struggled at times..however look at his 95 stats..4 interceptions whole season ..compared to Lee’s 4 interceptions every 2 games...hum...?

4D52D1A8-F5A7-40AD-850A-C2FB9BF5ADD2.jpeg

Edited by Depressed Husker

1 hour ago, Depressed Husker said:

Yes his first 3 years he struggled at times..however look at his 95 stats..4 interceptions whole season ..compared to Lee’s 4 interceptions every 2 games...hum...?

Tommy was not terrible, but he also didn’t play against defenses that were not scared of a rushing attack. He was put in better situations. Not excusing a single pick Lee made, but it’s not apples to apples.

I will never forget that heisman Tommie was robbed of.

Edited by HerbieHancock

I know its probably just me being salty... but Id really like to see Lee just move on to the NFL. He's got a hell of an arm but his decision making and the interceptions were too much for me. POB has shown some light.. I don't feel like our players have really had an opportunity.. open roster type to get their chance. That will not be the case with Frost. 

• Plus1 1

Can't believe I'm saying this, considering I was one of his biggest critics the first half of the season; but Lee grew on me and I hope he gets a legit shot. Guy was extremely tough this year and always seemed to try and stay positive despite playing behind one of the worst (probably thee worst) NU o-line groups i've ever seen.

Obviously, I want to see the guy that gives us the best chance to win on the field, regardless of who that is; I'm just saying it wouldn't bother me if that guy is Tanner Lee. Wish him the best if he decides this Offense isn't right for him and decides to shoot for the NFL or transfers, though.

On another note; I think POB saw the writing on the wall and started working on his running capabilities during the season, because the POB we saw in the season looked in better shape and looked like a waaay better runner than the POB of the spring game. I wouldn't rule him out, at all.

2 hours ago, Depressed Husker said:

Tommie was not a great thrower. Just wasn't. None of our true dual-threat option quarterbacks were. Tommie was certainly a better decision maker, but throwing ~50% in our run heavy scheme where every PA usually has a player WIDE open is not evidence of good passing. 

Tommie only had 4 picks, but Tanner also threw the ball 250 more times and was playing from behind almost always. 

• Plus1 1

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but it doesn't seem like the staff is prioritizing QBs in their offers. They did offer Martinez, but I think you offer a guy of his caliber regardless of what is on the existing roster. So far they haven't offered a JUCO QB or any other freshman, so maybe they feel good with what is on the roster already. 

10 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Milton averaged roughly 8 carries/game and 41 yards/game this season.  I am sure POB, Gebbia or Bunch could handle that.  

That only counts the plays where he kept it. That doesn't remotely cover the number of plays where he could have kept it. You have to look at how many plays ran were premised on qb running ability. Between zone-read, speed-option, pass/run option, etc. the number goes up considerably.  I'm not saying we don't have a qb that can function in this scheme or that qb-mobility is the end-all but I wouldn't underestimate the importance of a dual-threat qb to Frost's scheme. 

10 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

In Frost's system I'd rather have a great passer/ok runner than an ok passer/great runner.

Especially the deep ball. That's what makes Milton so effective. He's an ok runner, but nothing special. Not big enough to bull people, not fast enough to outrun defenders, and not quick enough to elude. His runs, however, are very effective because he's doing it against a numerical advantage and that comes partly from having to respect his deep ball.

That's this offense, putting a defense into numerical disadvantages. With an accurate passer that can run even a little, it's very difficult to stop. Milton has a very good completion rate for how often they throw deep balls.

2nd in yards per attempt, 2nd in completion percentage, 2nd in QB Rating. All to Baker Mayfield.

That's elite. The vast improvement he made from year 1 to year 2 has to have any potential QB salivating. 

• Plus1 4