Any one heard if Strength coach fired yet?

11 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

Exactly.  I felt good when I read a few seasons back that Epley was back on board. I assumed that the conditioning of the team would improve with his return, when it seems to have slipped the last few years .

How much of that is the culture under RIley? Lack of accountability and lack of drive. Only so much he can do if the players aren't in the weight room.

6 minutes ago, Sparker said:

How much of that is the culture under RIley? Lack of accountability and lack of drive. Only so much he can do if the players aren't in the weight room.

If the players have been slacking off in the weight room that could take a while to correct.  It takes time to build strength.

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

If the players have been slacking off in the weight room that could take a while to correct.  It takes time to build strength.

Yeah but being demanding in the weight room and on the practice field is a great tool to weed out players who don’t want to commit to the new way of doing things. That’s a great way of opening up schollies for new recruits. 

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Absolutely.

And I'm not trying to make any statements, I've never been to the weight room. Not even sure what you do there.

I just wondered if the blame isn't more on the soft culture under Riley.

61584926.jpg

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah but being demanding in the weight room and on the practice field is a great tool to weed out players who don’t want to commit to the new way of doing things. That’s a great way of opening up schollies for new recruits. 

True.  My thought was that if most of the Jr & Sr linemen haven't been serious in the weight room, a single off-season won't get them to where they should be.  I'm not expecting to see noticeable improvements in that area for a few years.

4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I'm certainly no doctor, but I think our lineman being 45% body fat isn't exactly correct and may be off by a few percentage points.  Anatomically speaking, is 45% body fat even possible?

I’m pretty sure it’s possible lol.  But yeah this seems like a slight exaggeration

14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly do not understand how you can have Elliot and Phillip in this department and have troubles here. 

It baffles me. 

It's possible that part of the issue might have been not pushing the concept of off-season voluntary workouts and the amount of time spent on S&T during Spring/Fall camp, maybe not so much the plan inside the weight room. 

It seems evident that the work ethic just hasn't been there in all facets these last three years. 

Remember last season when we were winning games in the 4th quarter by pounding the rock and that was bc/ of strength and conditioning.

Funny how a losing season changes internet opinions of things that didn't really change.

Also, with every new staff, every fall we get new articles full of player interviews about how this summer was different. They worked harder, new programs, new accountability. They're stronger and more driven and in better shape.  I look forward to reading those in August of 2018.

• Plus1 1

I wonder how many players will realize that coach is in the weight room working out in the mornings and might be taking mental notes on who else is there.  The guy poked his old team mates about being out of shape and mentioned he's been busy but needs to work out.  Frost will get some sleep, then probably workout each day while recruiting, spending time with family, moving, adjusting to a new job, and getting another team ready to face Auburn.

What's the team's excuse for skipping a workout?  Studying for finals and visiting grandma's house over Christmas.  They don't have a game to worry about.  It might be a good time to take the initiative and talk to the new strength and conditioning staff about what they should be doing starting tomorrow.  It won't be easier if they wait and gain some unneeded pounds over Christmas break.

Excuses aren't going to fly anymore.

4 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Remember last season when we were winning games in the 4th quarter by pounding the rock and that was bc/ of strength and conditioning.

Funny how a losing season changes internet opinions of things that didn't really change.

The point you're making is well taken, honestly.

But what about this angle? The team we fielded in 2016 wasn't good enough to beat Wisconsin and got blown out by Iowa. So even that level of play isn't good enough. Actually, it's nowhere close to being good enough.

We need our players in the kind of shape where we're beating the top teams in the conference in all four quarters. That's the goal. So forget whatever 2017 or 2016 looked like; we're aiming much, MUCH higher than that now with Frost's work ethic at the helm.

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

The point you're making is well taken, honestly.

But what about this angle? The team we fielded in 2016 wasn't good enough to beat Wisconsin and got blown out by Iowa. So even that level of play isn't good enough. Actually, it's nowhere close to being good enough.

We need our players in the kind of shape where we're beating the top teams in the conference in all four quarters. That's the goal. So forget whatever 2017 or 2016 looked like; we're aiming much, MUCH higher than that now with Frost's work ethic at the helm.

I don't disagree. This team was soft as cookie dough. Wisconsin ran on us 17 straight time, or something like that, and we couldn't stop it. Ouyr running game was junk bc/ there were very few holes to run through.

My point was more about us, and the internets than anything else.

17 hours ago, Sparker said:

I think you nailed it.. Riley did not know first thing about accountably.. he was concerned with being “friends” with players ..

that doesn’t work in organizational leadership.. especially with 18-22 year olds .. I never heard a former Osborne and McBride player at the time they playing call coach O or McBride their “friend” ...

and im persuaded the second part of problem is the players themselves.. they have not mad

dog, lunatics like Peters Brothers and Zach Weigert who were known to “push”  the team.. literally if needed.. we don’t have a man that steps up as THE alpha as says this is what we WILL do....we WILL hit folks and get back to de cleating opponents .. 

It's also possible that part of the problem is that "Poor S&C" is an easy imaginary scapegoat to blame as inadequate under the old staff, and a good talking point for the new staff. It happens every single time you go through a coaching change. I've seen it happen on Huskerboard when Pelini, and Riley, and now Frost came in. 

• Plus1 1