Other QB prospects?

do you think that we are still trying to get a JUCO QB this year?

yes. a mid-term juco guy that can come in during the spring. We wont be completely shutting down the HS QB recruitment, just out of anxiety from Freeman last year, but we pretty much got our guy with Patrick Witt. Witt has excellent character, maturity, and is smart enough to know (unlike Freeman) that NEBRASKA is one helluva opportunity.

I agree we are probably done with HS this year but who knows may be able to grab another decent gem out there. I do expect a JUCO this year but recruiting for them doesnt really start until August. Expect one this year. That will give us three guys to go into Spring with. :thumbs

I agree we are probably done with HS this year but who knows may be able to grab another decent gem out there. I do expect a JUCO this year but recruiting for them doesnt really start until August. Expect one this year. That will give us three guys to go into Spring with. :thumbs

nope, we get another HS kid and probably a JUCO......Cally needs another HS product to develop.....maybe Washington, maybe someone else...IMHO, the guys behind Beck just don't measure up....good kids, not enough raw talent

hunter

I agree we are probably done with HS this year but who knows may be able to grab another decent gem out there. I do expect a JUCO this year but recruiting for them doesnt really start until August. Expect one this year. That will give us three guys to go into Spring with.  :thumbs

nope, we get another HS kid and probably a JUCO......Cally needs another HS product to develop.....maybe Washington, maybe someone else...IMHO, the guys behind Beck just don't measure up....good kids, not enough raw talent

hunter

could be, but sean callahan on sports nightly the other night said that NEBRASKA is pretty much finished with High school QBs and are now looking into the jucos.

i really hope that is not true, i think we need to get "in the habit" of taking 2 good HS QBs every year, the old guarantee of taking only one HS QB each year should have been discarded by now......just not a good practice......if you look at where most of the top guys (this year's most highly recruited kids) went, they will have to wait at least a year if not 2 before they can start......we need depth at the QB spot too......

hunter

i really hope that is not true, i think we need to get "in the habit" of taking 2 good HS QBs every year, the old guarantee of taking only one HS QB each year should have been discarded by now......just not a good practice......if you look at where most of the top guys (this year's most highly recruited kids) went, they will have to wait at least a year if not 2 before they can start......we need depth at the QB spot too......

hunter

:dis

I don't think we need to bring in two HS QB's a year. We need to bring in one good QB, and determine what the needs of the class are for the scholarship. This year, we definately need 2 if not 3 QB's. But I think giving 2 scholorships away each year on a QB is a waste. You could have 10 schollies used up in a year. I thought it was rediculous a year or two ago (can't remember) when NU had 7 (I think) qb's on schollie.

hunter

hey nothing is set in stone. Fact of the matter is that we have way too many QBs on scholarship, even though some will never see the field, we cant waste too many scholarships when other positions have needs as well. A good JUCO and Witt will suffice for me, especially if Witt redshirts and masters the offense. The juco QB is a necessity, and if he is a warrior like Zac Taylor, i think we would be better off.

fact of the matter is, we have no depth at qb.......until you get there you need to recruit more than one HS kid with raw talent.....having established some depth, yes then you could fall back to taking one kid a year, but we are not there yet....in fact we are pinning our hopes entirely on Beck, who appears to be prone to injury at this point.....not a comfortable position to be in right now.....chances are neither Ganz nor Davis will ever see the field, unless Beck goes down next year or thereafter......remember, we took no one last year........after Freeman skipped out, that leaves us one year or one more kid behind.....the fact that Ganz and Davis are on schollies as qb's is a matter of "forced history"...nice guys, but neither were brought in with any real expectations.....that's the reality of the siutation IMHO........

hunter

fact of the matter is, we have no depth at qb.......until you get there you need to recruit more than one HS kid with raw talent.....having established some depth, yes then you could fall back to taking one kid a year, but we are not there yet....in fact we are pinning our hopes entirely on Beck, who appears to be prone to injury at this point.....not a comfortable position to be in right now.....chances are neither Ganz nor Davis will ever see the field, unless Beck goes down next year or thereafter......remember, we took no one last year........after Freeman skipped out, that leaves us one year or one more kid behind.....the fact that Ganz and Davis are on schollies as qb's is a matter of "forced history"...nice guys, but neither were brought in with any real expectations.....that's the reality of the siutation IMHO........

hunter

if they werent brought in without any real expectations, then why were they brought in?

but in regards to the rest of the post, thats why we are going the juco route. We dont want to hand out a scholarship to a kid that isnt that good just because we need another QB. He will have to be good, and there are some good ones out there still. We are a little behind in the QB recruiting cycle, and with that much ground to make up, it will be awfully hard to convince another QB to sign in a class that will have 2 qbs, 1 highschool and 1 juco.