JUCO RB Greg Bell [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

60 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Bell commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/11/2018 at 12:40 AM

36 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No one HAS to sign a letter of intent.  They can just show up an enroll.  They are taking the chance that they won't have a scholarship when they get there but that's usually a pretty small risk.  It doesn't happen very often - maybe one or two guys a year - but it's possible.  

High school early enrollees have always had to enroll in January even though they couldn't actually sign until February.

Correct, this would be no different than early enrollees from the past.  But, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't they sign some type of financial aid agreement?

41 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No one HAS to sign a letter of intent.  They can just show up an enroll.  They are taking the chance that they won't have a scholarship when they get there but that's usually a pretty small risk.  It doesn't happen very often - maybe one or two guys a year - but it's possible.  

High school early enrollees have always had to enroll in January even though they couldn't actually sign until February.

I've referenced this before but this is absolutely correct. Daniel Hamilton was a top 50 or so kid in high school basketball that committed to UConn and for whatever reason didn't want to sign a LOI. Never wound up signing one and enrolled as normal and on scholarship. The LOI is really just a contract that binds the school and the player to the scholarship and standards associated with it but if you're a top level kid there isn't an overly huge need to sign one as you will always have a scholarship if you want one. 

Edited by seaofred92
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Correct, this would be no different than early enrollees from the past.  But, correct me if I'm wrong, didn't they sign some type of financial aid agreement?

For the last couple years kids have been able to sign the financial aid papers which obligates the school to hold a scholarship for the player but doesn't bind the player to the school.  So, yes, I believe they could sign that paper but not sign an LOI and they would eliminate the risk of the school not holding a scholarship for therm.

I haven't heard much about those financial agreements this year for whatever reason.

Just now, Mavric said:

For the last couple years kids have been able to sign the financial aid papers which obligates the school to hold a scholarship for the player but doesn't bind the player to the school.  So, yes, I believe they could sign that paper but not sign an LOI and they would eliminate the risk of the school not holding a scholarship for therm.

I haven't heard much about those financial agreements this year for whatever reason.

probably because 1. with the early signing period they're totally unnecessary and 2. they don't really mean anything (see Stringfellow, Damore'ea)

Just now, seaofred92 said:

probably because 1. with the early signing period they're totally unnecessary and 2. they don't really mean anything (see Stringfellow, Damore'ea)

I wouldn't say they're totally unnecessary.  They can sign them earlier than December 20th I believe.  They don't mean anything to the school but they do for the player - not binding them but protecting them from having an offer pulled.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I wouldn't say they're totally unnecessary.  They can sign them earlier than December 20th I believe.  They don't mean anything to the school but they do for the player - not binding them but protecting them from having an offer pulled.

right but if a school doesn't want to offer a position on a football roster to a kid then the whole point is moot. The financial aid is still awarded but its not necessarily football related right?

10 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

right but if a school doesn't want to offer a position on a football roster to a kid then the whole point is moot. The financial aid is still awarded but its not necessarily football related right?

I guess I'm not sure how that would count.  They would definitely still get the financial aid.  I would think the school would still have to count it as one of their football scholarships.  Otherwise they could over-sign and only pick the ones they actually wanted to count towards the football limit.

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO RB Greg Bell [Nebraska - Signed LOI]
  • seaofred92 pinned this topic