Returning talent level

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Bo fixed Cally's mess in year 1. Frost >>> Bo. The Huskers will have a winning season in 2018, maybe not 9 wins, but 9 wins would not surprise me. The preparation and coaching the last 3 years has been as bad as the schemes.

I think Frost's preparation and game plans are what made UCF so tough to beat this year.  UCF scored points in the first quarter in 11 of 12 games this year, and averaged 12.9 points in the first quarter this season.  They also led after the first quarter in most of their games this year.  That's getting the team ready from the opening kickoff, which NU struggled mightily this year under Riley.

• Plus1 1

One addendum to my above post:

Our talent ranking for 2018 will probably be down a notch or two.  I still think it will be similar compared to our schedule - behind Ohio State and Ohio State, similar to Michigan State, maybe Wisconsin is right with us - but we'll probably slide into the low- to mid-30s overall.  A couple factors - first, we'll have two transition classes on the roster.  The 2015 class and the 2018 class will be down because of transition coaches.  Second, Riley has shorted us numbers the last two years - we have probably the fewest scholarship recruits that we've ever had this year because of not filling our classes. 

So I would still say that our talent level is better than what a lot of people think.  But we'll probably be at a low-water point for 2018.

51 minutes ago, Mavric said:

One addendum to my above post:

Our talent ranking for 2018 will probably be down a notch or two.  I still think it will be similar compared to our schedule - behind Ohio State and Ohio State, similar to Michigan State, maybe Wisconsin is right with us - but we'll probably slide into the low- to mid-30s overall.  A couple factors - first, we'll have two transition classes on the roster.  The 2015 class and the 2018 class will be down because of transition coaches.  Second, Riley has shorted us numbers the last two years - we have probably the fewest scholarship recruits that we've ever had this year because of not filling our classes. 

So I would still say that our talent level is better than what a lot of people think.  But we'll probably be at a low-water point for 2018.

Because of MR's small classes, I am hoping we go heavy on Jucos and get some talent there.

14 hours ago, billdozer15 said:

Both lines are God awful. Fix that and we will be much better, get a QB that can run Frosts offense with a line and we could do some damage.

The Dline was doing EXACTLY what the DQ was telling them. The offense can't continually go 3 and out over and over and expect the Dline to hold the whole game. There is a NW post game interview with the Dline, and all 4 of the kids interviewed said that they graded out very good, on film. The scheme made them look far, far worse than they were.

2 minutes ago, I.M. OLD said:

The Dline was doing EXACTLY what the DQ was telling them. The offense can't continually go 3 and out over and over and expect the Dline to hold the whole game. There is a NW post game interview with the Dline, and all 4 of the kids interviewed said that they graded out very good, on film. The scheme made them look far, far worse than they were.

I don't see how the 3 & outs had any impact. Many teams scored on their first 5 possessions. Di we set a record for fewest punts against?

Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

I don't see how the 3 & outs had any impact. Many teams scored on their first 5 possessions. Di we set a record for fewest punts against?

When they are on the field 80-90% of the time, they were getting gassed, just like we did to almost everyone we played in the 90's. Warren Sapp got gassed, along with everyone else.

• Plus1 1

I expect we'll see several players put in better position to succeed and our talent level will look 5 times better. Similar to Burkhead in Cincinnati and Burkhead in New England. Not expecting miracles, but bowl eligibility shouldn't be a problem and 7-9 wins isn't out of the question. 

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, I.M. OLD said:

Exactly. I don't mind the new coaches but I couldn't stand people trashing Parellas work. His group played very well all things considered.

10 minutes ago, I.M. OLD said:

When they are on the field 80-90% of the time, they were getting gassed, just like we did to almost everyone we played in the 90's. Warren Sapp got gassed, along with everyone else.

But are they already gassed on the first possession? And the 2nd possession? I could see getting tired in the 4th quarter, but our guys must have been gassed at the end of the tunnel walk. By the way, in 2009, the offense was pathetic, but the D held over and over. Imagine how great that D would have been with an offense that could get a few first downs.

15 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I feel our overall talent level is behind much of the B1G.  The lack of NFL drafts doesn't lie...  We do have some good players but are any off them truly great?  Maybe one or two get drafted with different coaching but I feel we need a big recruiting boost to get back on a nationally competitive level.  

This^  The OL is slow and weak overall. bottom third of the big

LB same

DL slightly better bottom half

DB average

WR good to excellent

QB- for this system  ?

You never want to badmouth your current talent. And we definitely have some Big 10 and nationally competitive talent. 

It's just the old "chain only as strong as its weakest link" argument. If you have one lockdown cornerback and one outmatched cornerback, opponents will just pick on the weak link. Two solid offensive lineman can't fill the gaps of the two lesser linemen, and every opponent will have scouted this out. Injuries are a given and we haven't been deep in talent.

Scott Frost can a should coach the talent we have better than the previous coach. That's why you hire new coaches. But he's here to start a major talent upgrade, too. I don''t mind missing a conference championship or two as long as we're having fun getting there. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You never want to badmouth your current talent. And we definitely have some Big 10 and nationally competitive talent. 

It's just the old "chain only as strong as its weakest link" argument. If you have one lockdown cornerback and one outmatched cornerback, opponents will just pick on the weak link. Two solid offensive lineman can't fill the gaps of the two lesser linemen, and every opponent will have scouted this out. Injuries are a given and we haven't been deep in talent.

Scott Frost can a should coach the talent we have better than the previous coach. That's why you hire new coaches. But he's here to start a major talent upgrade, too. I don''t mind missing a conference championship or two as long as we're having fun getting there. 

Yeah that’s the real key. It’s not losses. It sloppy play and lack of resiliency that’s driven me nuts the last few years. I believe so much in SF philosophy and what he’s been able to get out of the players he’s coached that I’ll wait as long as it takes. 

• Plus1 1