Predict 2018 Recruiting Ranking

19 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm going to be a little nit picky here and say that Wisconsin became Nebraska 2.0, and I want to be NEBRASKA 3.0.

I'd say Scott Frost is making us Nebraska 2.0, version 1.0 being Tom Osborne's Husker teams.  Wisconsin is Wisconsin and they have basically been that same way for decades.

So we have 210 pts

If we add the following which is very possible and more likely than not in my opinion 

Cam'ron Jones **** S

Maurice Washington **** RB

Jarrett Bell **** OL

Matthew Tago *** ATH/QB (or another 3 star prospect if we end up with someone else.)

The calculator says 221 but I don't understand how that is possible given that Jones is worth well over 11pts by himself. Is it just my computer not liking the 247 site or what am I missing? 

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

So we have 210 pts

If we add the following which is very possible and more likely than not in my opinion 

Cam'ron Jones **** S

Maurice Washington **** RB

Jarrett Bell **** OL

Matthew Tago *** ATH/QB (or another 3 star prospect if we end up with someone else.)

The calculator says 221 but I don't understand how that is possible given that Jones is worth well over 11pts by himself. Is it just my computer not liking the 247 site or what am I missing? 

I'm not sure exactly how the formula works but I think when you add him in it changes the value of other players. Looks like they are weighted on varying factors and adding in new players decreases how much the guys below them are worth.

Edited by spurs1990
1 minute ago, spurs1990 said:

I'm not sure exactly how the formula works but I think when you add him in it changes the value of other players. Looks like they are weighted on varying factors and adding in new players decreases how much the guys below them are worth.

I noticed that after looking more closely. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....looking at teams behind us and ahead of us I think we finish between 20-25. 

29 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I noticed that after looking more closely. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me....looking at teams behind us and ahead of us I think we finish between 20-25. 

They give the most weight to each team's highest-rated recruit and it drops off from there.

• The Formula
  • Team Ranking Explanation
  • where c is a specific team's total number of commits and Rn is the 247Sports Composite Rating of the nth-best commit times 100.
  • Explanation
  • In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.
  • Each recruit is weighted in the rankings according to a GAUSSIAN DISTRIBUTION FORMULA (a bell curve), where a team's best recruit is worth the most points. You can think of a team's point score as being the sum of ratings of all the team's commits where the best recruit is worth 100% of his rating value, the second best recruit is worth nearly 100% of his rating value, down to the last recruit who is worth a small fraction of his rating value. This formula ensures that all commits contribute at least some value to the team's score without heavily rewarding teams that have several more commitments than others.
  • Readers familiar with the Gaussian distribution formula will note that we use a varying value for σ based on the standard deviation for the total number of commits between schools for the given sport. This STANDARD DEVIATION creates a bell curve with an inflection point near the average number of players recruited per team.
  • Below is a graphical representation of how our formula works. You can see that the area under the curve gets smaller both as the rating for a commit decreases and as the number of total commits for a school increases. The y-axis in this graph represents the percentage weight of the score that gets applied to an overall team ranking.
  • team_rankings.gif

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nice info,  it seems like it is kinda of saying that the more kids you already have in the class the harder it is to more the needle on the ranking.  Not sure why they also add weight based on the ranking in the schools class, it would seem to inflate the value of the #1 kid in the class but at least it also limits the impact of a low rated kid.  I wonder then what the value difference is between Alabama's 22nd 4-star and the final 2 star they get down in Kansas based on this formula.  I guess the method can smooth out the numbers and also reduce the impact of rater bias based on the stars bump kids may get if they sign with an Alabama.  

58 minutes ago, mnhusker said:

Nice info,  it seems like it is kinda of saying that the more kids you already have in the class the harder it is to more the needle on the ranking.  Not sure why they also add weight based on the ranking in the schools class, it would seem to inflate the value of the #1 kid in the class but at least it also limits the impact of a low rated kid.  I wonder then what the value difference is between Alabama's 22nd 4-star and the final 2 star they get down in Kansas based on this formula.  I guess the method can smooth out the numbers and also reduce the impact of rater bias based on the stars bump kids may get if they sign with an Alabama.  

Yeah, it's kind of interesting.  It definitely helps to have at least a couple guys who are really highly-ranked.  And it helps adjust for varying class sizes - anything over 14 commits doesn't matter a whole lot.

I don't think it's quite accurate to say the more you have the harder it is to move the needle.  It's somewhat true.  But it would be more precise to say after you have 12-14 commits the guys you add have to be some of your higher-rated guys or it's not going to change much.  

So getting Martinez would have made quite a difference.  Adding Bell won't really change things that much.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, it's kind of interesting.  It definitely helps to have at least a couple guys who are really highly-ranked.  And it helps adjust for varying class sizes - anything over 14 commits doesn't matter a whole lot.

I don't think it's quite accurate to say the more you have the harder it is to move the needle.  It's somewhat true.  But it would be more precise to say after you have 12-14 commits the guys you add have to be some of your higher-rated guys or it's not going to change much.  

So getting Martinez would have made quite a difference.  Adding Bell won't really change things that much.

That makes sense, I like the info a ton, it is interesting how they put it all together.

So if we add, Palmer, JBB, Washington, Jones, and Bell, that puts us at ~231 points on 247 and ranked 17th currently, but probably closer to 20th after the other classes sort out.  Our class last year(Riley's best?) was 216 points and ranked 26th, and that included 2 4 stars that never even put on pads.  That just seems insanely good for a transitional class that he took over with like 7 recruits and coached a NY6 bowl at the same time. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

So if we add, Palmer, JBB, Washington, Jones, and Bell, that puts us at ~231 points on 247 and ranked 17th currently, but probably closer to 20th after the other classes sort out.  Our class last year(Riley's best?) was 216 points and ranked 26th, and that included 2 4 stars that never even put on pads.  That just seems insanely good for a transitional class that he took over with like 7 recruits and coached a NY6 bowl at the same time. 

It is.....now give them 12 months and watch the magic happen. Frost will sign a top 10 class to NU in the next couple of years.