Offensive Line

I think we're all in consensus when I say the O-line was a (perhaps, the biggest) weak link last season.

How long do you think it will take Frost + staff to turn just this unit around?

It's of my personal opinion that the development was the biggest issue among the lineman; both, from a mental & (especially) from a physical standpoint. I look at clips from past great NU teams, and the o-line looks like big, yet lean, mean hombres... all 5. Our current o-line has some 'big' guys, but they kinda look like couch-potatos, for the most part (weight-room issues?). NO other B1G team has this issue.

Who are some young guys on this unit that can make an impact next season?

I'm not familiar enough w/ the depth to know who could potentially make an impact. Who do you guys think could step-up? I think Foster started the season strong then checked-out (like many other players). I think he may be an impact player if motivated by new staff. Jaimes looked solid at RT; could get even better w/ a proper off-season program. I liked what I saw from the few times we got to see Boe Wilson.

• Plus1 1

The good thing about O Line is it really seems to be all coaching. Either that or complete recruiting whiffs, but the point is we have talent (recruiting stars) and depth at O Line. There is alot of youth across the O Line and if Frost can coach em up better I see no reason why this unit can't be alot better. That said, I was saying the same thing before this season too. I think it is all going to come down to the kids. How will they respond? If they work hard and do what this staff asks them too I think we will see a major turn around from this group

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The good thing about O Line is it really seems to be all coaching. Either that or complete recruiting whiffs, but the point is we have talent (recruiting stars) and depth at O Line. There is alot of youth across the O Line and if Frost can coach em up better I see no reason why this unit can't be alot better. That said, I was saying the same thing before this season too. I think it is all going to come down to the kids. How will they respond? If they work hard and do what this staff asks them too I think we will see a major turn around from this group

I agree.  I think we have talent and depth on the O line to complete in the Big Ten West.  They just flat out played horrible though.  A new coach that Frost trusts has got to improve the situation.  The kids also have to change attitude and work ethic.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'll say the same thing here that was said in another thread criticizing the strength training program: this fan base has a history of lauding a strength and conditioning coach early on and then criticizing the slow, un-athletic look of the team years later. Several factors determine how well a line performs and strength/size can sometimes be one of the least relevant. I don't think any one of us here can fully qualify whether strength was a significant issue or not. We just saw a poor overall product on the field.

Nebraska flat out couldn't call protections this year, putting them out of position and thus putting their bodies in poor positions to make plays. They also leveraged their bodies poorly at times and had bad footwork. Those are coachable elements that didn't get fixed.

I don't want to totally put down that S&C might have been an issue, but, it was not the first thing that came to my mind when they were getting destroyed this year. A tackle out of position trying to arm block a defensive end is not a strength issue, nor is a guard raising his shoulders too high and duck footing and then getting bulled over by a defensive tackle.

Being stronger and faster than your opponent usually wins the day.

I'd like to point out something that I believe played a significant factor in the struggle of our O-line. Moving Nick Gates to LT, in my mind, was one of the poorest decisions made by the previous staff. He was completely out of position and it was incredibly unnatural for him. He is a guard and the emphasis on mobility and speed affected his physical development, hence why he never got bigger. I know this is one guy but it became a domino effect that really hurt everyone on the line. Gates could never settle in and it killed cohesion, the psyche of the line, and obviously production. I believe Gates was always frustrated because he felt out of place. Knevel was a better fit at LT despite being on the soft side. He had better feet and could cover more ground. 

Hopefully this staff puts him at his natural position so he has a chance to make up for the last two years. Nebraska has the guys to make the offense go. The young guys can move. Everyone just needs to settle in one position. No more swing guys throughout the year. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Plus1 6

2 hours ago, marko polo said:

Being stronger and faster than your opponent usually wins the day.

That's like saying being a good recruiter usually wins the day. As we all know it's always some combination of that and coaching.

People see players getting beat and immediately shoot from the hip about S&C when, in many cases, the player's S&C may not be the reason they're getting beat.

• Plus1 1