Poll: Who Starts at QB in 2018?

Poll: 2018 Starting QB  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First off, I apologize if this has been asked already. I tried searching for a poll and couldn't find one.

Secondly... I know, I know... it's early and nobody has nearly enough information to come up with a confident answer to this question. But just for fun, let's see what everyone's thinking. Who do you think will start at QB in 2018?

I'm going with Gebbia for now. The two options that I don't find very likely are Tanner Lee and a True Freshman. Anything else wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by ThroughTheseGates
  • Plus1 1

Of the existing QBs, I think it would lean towards Gebbia over O'Brien.   However, to make a quick splash, I could see Frost going the JUCO route, or a 5th year senior (if one exists that would fit - like Wisc did a few years ago- which had no small impact on their season).  So I lean towards a JUCO overall - someone who has proven himself with playing time.  Gebbia hasn't proven himself yet. 

3 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I say Tanner Lee gets a chance.  We have a staff that could actually challenge/develop Tanner.  I also read that Tanner is really psyched about Scott and has watched some of the UCF games.  So, I say he at least gets a chance. 

I like Lee in some ways, but I don't think he gets it for three reasons. Maybe I'll be wrong:

1. After reading about and watching Frost's offense, I think the QB needs to be a threat to run. Lee just seems too slow to me.

2. QB is a position where confidence is huge. The best QBs just have that "it" factor. Russell Wilson is a great example. He overcomes his size and weak arm because he's just always in the moment. Go watch an interview with him. He's 100% engaged. When I see Lee being interviewed, he seems nervous, self-conscious, not engaged. That's how most people are, which is why the Russell Wilsons of the world stand out. Scott Frost had the "it" factor, and he identified it in McKenzie Milton down at UCF. He knows what to look for, and it sounds like Gebbia might have "it".

3. Lee is a combine / QB camp stud. He'll get drafted simply because he'll impress some scouts.

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Of the existing QBs, I think it would lean towards Gebbia over O'Brien.   However, to make a quick splash, I could see Frost going the JUCO route, or a 5th year senior (if one exists that would fit - like Wisc did a few years ago- which had no small impact on their season).  So I lean towards a JUCO overall - someone who has proven himself with playing time.  Gebbia hasn't proven himself yet. 

It'll be interesting to see if we hear some names come out in the coming weeks. The transfers that I listed could all be fits IMO:

- Patterson is a dual threat and is allowed to transfer from Ole Miss without sitting out a year. He was the #3 recruit in the nation a few years ago.

- Burrow was close to picking NU out of high school. He's been a backup his entire career at tOSU and could consider doing a grad transfer to NU (his dad played here also). I'm not sure how the grad transfer rule works... but I think NU has to have a program that tOSU does not offer, and Burrow would have to enroll in that program as a graduate student. He also needs to be graduated from tOSU to do this.

- Wilson also was close to picking NU out of high school. I think he even attended Oregon after Frost recruited him, but quickly left for the JUCO route. I've heard bad things about his passing down there, though.

39 minutes ago, ThroughTheseGates said:

- Patterson is a dual threat and is allowed to transfer from Ole Miss without sitting out a year. He was the #3 recruit in the nation a few years ago.

Only seniors to be are allowed to transfer w/o sitting out from Ole Miss.  Patterson will only be a Jr this coming fall.