Assistants Announced

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Man, even when he was young he was dorky.

josh_heupel_105.jpg

Dorky?  You bet.  That being said, Heupel was an absolute beast in college and should have instant cred with any recruits he talks to.  I think UCF is in really good hands.  I guess if anyone gives him guff he can also go through his list of college accolades:

Awards
Consensus All-American (2000)
AP Player of the Year (2000)
Walter Camp Award (2000)
Archie Griffin Award (2000)
Harley Award Winner (2000)
Quarterback of the Year (2000
Edited by Xmas32
13 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Interesting that they hadn't joined Scott until now.  I would guess they were waiting to see what UCF would offer $ wise and then said "How cold could it really be in Nebraska?"

I'm sure Walters was hoping he was going to get a HC job.  Perhaps even the UCF job.  And Beckton, being an Orlando/UCF guy was probably going to be retained by Walters had he been named the HC.  In addition, I doubt Walters would have wanted to stay for anything less than OC.  But since it didn't happen, they went elsewhere.  Kudos to Frost for not rushing to fill the spots.

7 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Dorky?  You bet.  That being said, Heupel was an absolute beast in college and should have instant cred with any recruits he talks to.  I think UCF is in really good hands.  I guess if anyone gives him guff he can also go through his list of college accolades:

Awards
Walter Camp Award (2000)

Yep, I know all that. But we're comparing him to Scott Frost, not some random dude.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

USF can't be too upset.  He kept two coaches there that could be on the road recruiting for us.  He is bringing his whole staff to coach the bowl game.  I am OK with it during the dead period., but it would be a nice time for rest and family time.  If you USF is so upset they could not let him coach the bowl game and let their new staff deal with it.  Things suck in these situations.  Take the 12-0 and renewed interest in your team and back your new coach.  He could do great things in Orlando.

i dont think USF is upset at all about UCF losing their entire coaching staff.  :B)

• Plus1 8

4 minutes ago, Keith.Wassung said:

Local Orlando Radio station reported that a fan rally was held last night on camp at UCF to protest Nebraska taking all of their coaches (and possibly a few recruits) but the auditorium was only half full 

b35dd785a2e95725471ed9a9f764dd685d48ccb7 

• Plus1 6
5 minutes ago, Keith.Wassung said:

Local Orlando Radio station reported that a fan rally was held last night on camp at UCF to protest Nebraska taking all of their coaches (and possibly a few recruits) but the auditorium was only half full 

Well perhaps they should be protesting outside their AD's office as he had a chance to hire Walters as the Head Coach, and in doing so may have kept Beckton and one or two more assistants.

• Plus1 1

I have good friends that are boosters at Northern Illinois.  They have lost a lot of coaches over that last decade and a half that have been successful and moved on to P5 jobs.  I asked how they deal with losing all of these coaches.  They told me they know the deal.  As long as they are good, people will take their coaches.  If we have bad teams we get to keep our coaches for years and we keep losing.  Which would you prefer.  Our role is to upset P5 teams, go to bowl games, and supply head coaches to bigger schools, who in turn pay us.  It is not a bad deal.

I think it is an interesting assessment of the how things are for these lower tier schools.

• Plus1 3

This discussion reminds me of a guy I know that's a CSU fan/alum.  He was so pissed off when Tim Miles left.  He instantly started bad mouthing him.  When I asked why, he said, "He didn't care, he just left for a bigger pay check".  Now......what that leaves me scratching my head about is how does he feel when a coach leaves a smaller school to go to CSU?  Obviously, THAT'S OK. 

The mentality fans have towards coaches and players many times do not have logic behind them.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Awards
Walter Camp Award (2000)

Well, yeah. Everybody knows that if you're a really good player, you're guaranteed to be a really good coach too.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

This discussion reminds me of a guy I know that's a CSU fan/alum.  He was so pissed off when Tim Miles left.  He instantly started bad mouthing him.  When I asked why, he said, "He didn't care, he just left for a bigger pay check".  Now......what that leaves me scratching my head about is how does he feel when a coach leaves a smaller school to go to CSU?  Obviously, THAT'S OK. 

The mentality fans have towards coaches and players many times do not have logic behind them.

Not to mention Frost played here and grew up here and his family lives here and were in a power 5 conference and we offered more money to him/his staff and we have a larger/more supportive fan base and we have a richer history. UCF fans seem pretty oblivious on how things work in the CFB landscape....

• Plus1 4