Assistants Announced

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

UCF is simply unfamiliar with the business side of football. It can bite you in the ass and sting sometimes but there's really not a lot you can do about it.

Hell, they weren't even selling out their stadium during this past season.

They've got a lot to learn about being a mob too. I heard there were no pitchforks at their pity party.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, Sparker said:

Are you breaking up with us?

Until/unless some new details emerge, it might be time for me to leave HuskerBoard. 

Here's what I know: people don't root for the coaches that leave them. It's a business decision, nothing personal on both sides (though people make it personal). With Frost, UCF fans could root for him because he's SUCH a nice guy and he loves UCF SO MUCH. But here's what else I know:

1. Frost didn't have to talk to other schools during the year. It would be better for him to do so and position himself well for any opportunities, but better for UCF if he told schools, I'll talk to you after the season is over. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

2. Frost didn't have to accept an offer from another school during the season. He could have said, "I'm interested, I'll only sign after the season". Better for Frost that he does what the new school wants, better for UCF if he waits. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

3. Frost didn't have to take the whole staff, there are numerous ways that he could make sure the players had some continuity (find a different TE coach). Maybe even someone that knows how to recruit Nebraska/the midwest. Better for Frost that he keeps every staff member he feels like (including admin asst's), better for UCF if Frost leaves somebody somewhere still in place. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

4. Frost doesn't have to take recruits. He went to Nebraska early so that he could get a jump on recruiting, even if it puts UCF behind the 8-ball. UCF is putting a staff together from scratch, but at least Frost's staff got a good start on recruiting, right? Better for Frost if he sets himself up as well as possible and tries to flip all the recruits that were committed to UCF, better for UCF if Frost doesn't take the whole staff AND try to take all the recruits right before signing period. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

5. Frost doesn't have to take transfers from UCF. But it's in his best interest to take everyone and everything he wants. Decision: we don't know yet

Then there's stuff that isn't as definitive, but doesn't look good in context:

1.  The leak during the championship game. Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

2. The coaching staff clearly started checking out once the decisions started to be made and the team started looking worse and worse. The lower margin of victory was one of the reasons the CFP listed for ranking UCF so low.  Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

I'm willing to wait and see if some new information emerges, but it seems like Frost is not the loyal guy I thought he was, or perhaps, loyal to one school instead of two. We'll see. I think the preparation put in the bowl game (if he coaches), the recruits flipped, and the transfers will paint a picture of a loyal Knight and kindly Huskers AD who handled the transition as ham-handedly as possible, or two guys who aren't incompetent and just like playing nice guys on TV. 

If it's the latter, there's no reason for me to be here if I'm actively rooting for bad things to happen to Frost and Moos. 

I could be everyone's favorite UCF troll?

5 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

Until/unless some new details emerge, it might be time for me to leave HuskerBoard. 

Here's what I know: people don't root for the coaches that leave them. It's a business decision, nothing personal on both sides (though people make it personal). With Frost, UCF fans could root for him because he's SUCH a nice guy and he loves UCF SO MUCH. But here's what else I know:

1. Frost didn't have to talk to other schools during the year. It would be better for him to do so and position himself well for any opportunities, but better for UCF if he told schools, I'll talk to you after the season is over. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

2. Frost didn't have to accept an offer from another school during the season. He could have said, "I'm interested, I'll only sign after the season". Better for Frost that he does what the new school wants, better for UCF if he waits. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

3. Frost didn't have to take the whole staff, there are numerous ways that he could make sure the players had some continuity (find a different TE coach). Maybe even someone that knows how to recruit Nebraska/the midwest. Better for Frost that he keeps every staff member he feels like (including admin asst's), better for UCF if Frost leaves somebody somewhere still in place. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

4. Frost doesn't have to take recruits. He went to Nebraska early so that he could get a jump on recruiting, even if it puts UCF behind the 8-ball. UCF is putting a staff together from scratch, but at least Frost's staff got a good start on recruiting, right? Better for Frost if he sets himself up as well as possible and tries to flip all the recruits that were committed to UCF, better for UCF if Frost doesn't take the whole staff AND try to take all the recruits right before signing period. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

5. Frost doesn't have to take transfers from UCF. But it's in his best interest to take everyone and everything he wants. Decision: we don't know yet

1.  The leak during the championship game. Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

2. The coaching staff clearly started checking out once the decisions started to be made and the team started looking worse and worse. The lower margin of victory was one of the reasons the CFP listed for ranking UCF so low.  Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

I'm willing to wait and see if some new information emerges, but it seems like Frost is not the loyal guy I thought he was, or perhaps, loyal to one school instead of two. We'll see. I think the preparation put in the bowl game (if he coaches), the recruits flipped, and the transfers will paint a picture of a loyal Knight and kindly Huskers AD who handled the transition as ham-handedly as possible, or two guys who aren't incompetent and just like playing nice guys on TV. 

If it's the latter, there's no reason for me to be here if I'm actively rooting for bad things to happen to Frost and Moos. 

No one here should feel bad for UCF. You guys just went 12-0. We went 4-8. End of story. It's business.

PS, really? The coaches checked out and still went 12-0? That's called delusion.

Edited by ScottyIce
  • Plus1 8

1 minute ago, ScottyIce said:

No one here should feel bad for UCF. You guys just went 12-0. We went 4-8. End of story. It's business.

No one is asking for pity. Most coaches are d-bags. The ones that aren't usually get results like Riley. The question is: is Frost the kind of guy that UCF fans can root for or is he just as selfish as the majority of coaches?

Just now, ATS Knight said:

No one is asking for pity. Most coaches are d-bags. The ones that aren't usually get results like Riley. The question is: is Frost the kind of guy that UCF fans can root for or is he just as selfish as the majority of coaches?

Most coaches are d-bags? Idk, we just fired a whole staff and I wouldn't call any of them d-bags. I also don't consider any of the coaches we just hired d-bags.

Scott Frost took you on a ride to 12-0. Why wouldn't you root for him? You guys are GROUP OF 5, you're just not on the same level as P5 schools at this point in time. I guess I'm frustrated that you really are failing to see the big picture here.

Frost and company literally gave you guys everything they had. End of story.

• Plus1 8

The timing of things was dictated by the business of college football.  There's no way you wait until after the season.  That would be extreme incompetence on the part of the AD.  We've already seen how that works...

Unless you can pin the leak on Frost, I can't imagine holding it against him personally.  Hell this board and the national media was pretty vocal about the situation long before that game.

"Taking" recruits, I can see this point, but reasonably, if Frost was recruiting kids for his system, and his system is moving, it's not hard to see how that was going to go.  He could have left them for UCF, for a unannounced staff that may have run a completely different system, but CFB isn't kindergarten.  

As for staff leaving with Frost, they're grown men fully able to make their own decisions.  Even the most loyal and longstanding member of that staff left for Nebraska.  I don't think that's as much about Nebraska/Frost as it is about business, and perhaps the limited opportunities at UCF.

• Plus1 2

@ATS Knight - i value and respect your opinions and hope you stay.  But, how do you know that the staff clearly checked out?  That's not something you can tell by margin of victory.  Do you know how hard it is to go undefeated?  It's damn near impossible.  Look at the losses of some of the teams in the playoffs, or on the cusp of them-- they weren't to juggernauts.  What was the rank of the teams where you believed the staff began checking out?  Even our last national championship year had a memorable game where it could have easily been lost to a lesser team.  Instead it went to OT.  Sound familiar?

Also - your team went undefeated without a break.  That is FREAKING HARD AS HELL.  No one checked out, I promise you that.

7 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

He's both a guy you could root for and he's selfish (how that compares to other coaches is up for debate). But I think a lot of this angst for the UCF fans, while understandable, is just not looking at the coaching profession realistically. If Frost was actively trying to get players to transfer away from UCF, then you'd have a beef. But offering recruits is no big deal - those guys might have been snatched away by other teams before they signed anyway. And the timeline of hiring coaches demands that the basics are hammered out before the end of the season - definitely before a CCG.

Personally, I don't want Frost to go back to UCF and would rather he stays in Lincoln to stay focused on the Huskers. So I'm hopeful the UCF fan angst causes that to happen. But if I was a UCF fan, I'd really want to beat Auburn, and having Frost come back is the best chance for that to happen.

Edited by RedDenver
  • Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

He’s not selfish; he picked UCF over Florida; it’s not about money; he had a childhood dream of coaching at Nebraska, and it was no doubt, hard for him to leave UCF. 

You’re not a troll, and we like you.  We’d like you to stick around, but if it’s too hard for you to do, I’m sure the majority would understand.

Edited by Truth in Ruin
  • Plus1 4

Frost is doing what anyone would do and he is trying to do it with dignity. There is no easy way but the truth of the matter is Scott Frost has likely been dreaming of this moment since he entered coaching and maybe even before. Now that he is here he has to do the best possible job he can for Nebraska. 

11 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

He didn't talk to just "another" school.  It was HIS school.

He didn't accept an offer from just another school.  It was HIS school

He offered jobs to the whole staff that helped him.  They chose to leave.  They could have stayed and tried to catch on with the new HC.  But there is no guarantee.

He hasn't taken 1 single recruit from UCF.  Has he offered?  Yes.  But what if the new coach comes in and rescinds the UCF offer?  Then what?

He hasn't taken 1 single transfer from UCF.  Could he?  Sure.  What's to say that a player will fit in the new offense and be left out anyway?

Leaks happen.  It's the nature of the business.

The coaching staff checked out to the tune of a conference championship, undefeated regular season, and an invite to the Peach Bowl.  You're welcome.

• Plus1 8