Assistants Announced

5 hours ago, ATS Knight said:

Until/unless some new details emerge, it might be time for me to leave HuskerBoard. 

Here's what I know: people don't root for the coaches that leave them. It's a business decision, nothing personal on both sides (though people make it personal). With Frost, UCF fans could root for him because he's SUCH a nice guy and he loves UCF SO MUCH. But here's what else I know:

1. Frost didn't have to talk to other schools during the year. It would be better for him to do so and position himself well for any opportunities, but better for UCF if he told schools, I'll talk to you after the season is over. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

2. Frost didn't have to accept an offer from another school during the season. He could have said, "I'm interested, I'll only sign after the season". Better for Frost that he does what the new school wants, better for UCF if he waits. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

3. Frost didn't have to take the whole staff, there are numerous ways that he could make sure the players had some continuity (find a different TE coach). Maybe even someone that knows how to recruit Nebraska/the midwest. Better for Frost that he keeps every staff member he feels like (including admin asst's), better for UCF if Frost leaves somebody somewhere still in place. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

4. Frost doesn't have to take recruits. He went to Nebraska early so that he could get a jump on recruiting, even if it puts UCF behind the 8-ball. UCF is putting a staff together from scratch, but at least Frost's staff got a good start on recruiting, right? Better for Frost if he sets himself up as well as possible and tries to flip all the recruits that were committed to UCF, better for UCF if Frost doesn't take the whole staff AND try to take all the recruits right before signing period. Decision: in the best interests of Frost

5. Frost doesn't have to take transfers from UCF. But it's in his best interest to take everyone and everything he wants. Decision: we don't know yet

Then there's stuff that isn't as definitive, but doesn't look good in context:

1.  The leak during the championship game. Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

2. The coaching staff clearly started checking out once the decisions started to be made and the team started looking worse and worse. The lower margin of victory was one of the reasons the CFP listed for ranking UCF so low.  Looks like either Frost wasn't careful on his side or he carelessly dealt with an AD that didn't give a crap. I'm not sure how Frost comes out well in this scenario unless he was fuming about it, but made sure to keep his rage from becoming public. 

I'm willing to wait and see if some new information emerges, but it seems like Frost is not the loyal guy I thought he was, or perhaps, loyal to one school instead of two. We'll see. I think the preparation put in the bowl game (if he coaches), the recruits flipped, and the transfers will paint a picture of a loyal Knight and kindly Huskers AD who handled the transition as ham-handedly as possible, or two guys who aren't incompetent and just like playing nice guys on TV. 

If it's the latter, there's no reason for me to be here if I'm actively rooting for bad things to happen to Frost and Moos. 

I could be everyone's favorite UCF troll?

Frost was universally praised for the way he handled this whole thing. So you're really going to be upset when the next successful coach at UCF leaves (and he will), because it isn't likely to be handled as respectfully, and thoughtfully as Frost handled it.

I'm not exactly sure what more UCF fans expected from Frost in this scenario. I'd say, that deep down, you all know he handled it as well as possible. Right now you're all just to butthurt to admit it.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 3

UCF fans should be unhappy.  They will go from a perfect season to something less with a new coach.  Can’t blame Frost- needs to get a fast start due to recruiting demands.  Coaches will follow their guy for more money.  Recruits are usually attached to the coach who got them to commit.

Heupel will likely bring in his own guys and will probably want his kind of athletes for his offense and defense schemes- not necessarily the same guys that Frost wanted.  

Nebraska could have tslked privately to Frost and held off until the bowl game but the gossip was rampant in the news media and sports news.  

I wish UCF well but I want the Huskersbsck to our traditions.  Frost is the guy and we will be/are the bad guys in UCF’s eyes.  

4 minutes ago, URSS said:

UCF fans should be unhappy.  They will go from a perfect season to something less with a new coach.  Can’t blame Frost- needs to get a fast start due to recruiting demands.  Coaches will follow their guy for more money.  Recruits are usually attached to the coach who got them to commit.

Heupel will likely bring in his own guys and will probably want his kind of athletes for his offense and defense schemes- not necessarily the same guys that Frost wanted.  

Nebraska could have tslked privately to Frost and held off until the bowl game but the gossip was rampant in the news media and sports news.  

I wish UCF well but I want the Huskersbsck to our traditions.  Frost is the guy and we will be/are the bad guys in UCF’s eyes.  

You really can’t wait that long to make a coaching change with recruiting and especially with early signing period.  

• Plus1 1

I've got like two dozen notifications, so I'll try to address as much as I can in a general response:

There seems to be this idea that UCF fans (and me) are going through these unrealistic stages of grief and that if we want to play "big boy" football, we just need to suck it up. 

First, there are fans that are going through the stages of grief and might be for a while. For most of us, we had plenty of time to figure out that Frost was leaving. It's been weeks, y'all. Most of us got over it. Coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football and there was decent chance of him going back to Oregon or Nebraska from the start. Most of the fans are over it. 

Second, coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football. Everyone experiences it at some point. I actually think it happens less at higher levels of football. 

So this idea of "don't try to rationalize with butthurt UCF fans"... well, that's actually probably accurate. But not for the reasons you think. 

Frost left, boo hoo. Hard to complain when we just went undefeated. Guy doesn't owe us anything. Flipping recruits, taking transfers. Everyone does that. Taking coaches? Common. Taking all the coaches? Not so common, but that speaks more to Frost's leadership ability than anything else (that piece is probably irreplaceable. I'll admit that stings that we'll probably never find another coach like that). 

The issue is that Frost presented himself like he wasn't like other coaches. Like he was torn about the decision. If he had said, "UCF was great, smell you later" (or something cooler), we would have said, "Thanks for the championship. We're mad that you screwed up our bowl, but you got us there." And we would have gotten over it. 

But Frost has talked a lot about how much he loved UCF, and the leadership, and the team, and the fans, and how he wishes us well and wants to come back and coach because he loves everyone. And the UCF have mostly bought into that. 

THAT'S the part that we're upset about. Not the coach leaving, but the coach wanting good things for us and decimating us as thoroughly as seemingly possible. 

2 questions for Nebraska fans (serious questions looking for examples):

1) Have you ever heard a coach talk about a school they were leaving the way Frost has talked about us? I know some coaches that have said some nice things on the way out, but nothing like this. 

2) Have you ever heard about a coach taking as much from a school on his way out? I know some coaches that have taken some things, but nothing like this. 

It's the contrast between the two that has UCF fans feeling betrayed. 

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

I've got like two dozen notifications, so I'll try to address as much as I can in a general response:

There seems to be this idea that UCF fans (and me) are going through these unrealistic stages of grief and that if we want to play "big boy" football, we just need to suck it up. 

First, there are fans that are going through the stages of grief and might be for a while. For most of us, we had plenty of time to figure out that Frost was leaving. It's been weeks, y'all. Most of us got over it. Coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football and there was decent chance of him going back to Oregon or Nebraska from the start. Most of the fans are over it. 

Second, coaches being poached happens at all levels of college football. Everyone experiences it at some point. I actually think it happens less at higher levels of football. 

So this idea of "don't try to rationalize with butthurt UCF fans"... well, that's actually probably accurate. But not for the reasons you think. 

Frost left, boo hoo. Hard to complain when we just went undefeated. Guy doesn't owe us anything. Flipping recruits, taking transfers. Everyone does that. Taking coaches? Common. Taking all the coaches? Not so common, but that speaks more to Frost's leadership ability than anything else (that piece is probably irreplaceable. I'll admit that stings that we'll probably never find another coach like that). 

The issue is that Frost presented himself like he wasn't like other coaches. Like he was torn about the decision. If he had said, "UCF was great, smell you later" (or something cooler), we would have said, "Thanks for the championship. We're mad that you screwed up our bowl, but you got us there." And we would have gotten over it. 

But Frost has talked a lot about how much he loved UCF, and the leadership, and the team, and the fans, and how he wishes us well and wants to come back and coach because he loves everyone. And the UCF have mostly bought into that. 

THAT'S the part that we're upset about. Not the coach leaving, but the coach wanting good things for us and decimating us as thoroughly as seemingly possible. 

2 questions for Nebraska fans (serious questions looking for examples):

1) Have you ever heard a coach talk about a school they were leaving the way Frost has talked about us? I know some coaches that have said some nice things on the way out, but nothing like this. 

2) Have you ever heard about a coach taking as much from a school on his way out? I know some coaches that have taken some things, but nothing like this. 

It's the contrast between the two that has UCF fans feeling betrayed. 

1.  No.  I think most coaches don't feel that attached to the smaller program they are leaving.   

2.  I think it takes a special coach for everyone to want to follow him.  Esp Walters and Belton.  He gave them time and opportunity to stay, they found the best for their career was to follow SF.  Recruits are not anyone's until NSD

15 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

1.  No.  I think most coaches don't feel that attached to the smaller program they are leaving.   

2.  I think it takes a special coach for everyone to want to follow him.  Esp Walters and Belton.  He gave them time and opportunity to stay, they found the best for their career was to follow SF.  Recruits are not anyone's until NSD

Welcome to the hell that UCF fans are going through. 

Frost: I love UCF. I'm so loyal to you, I'm just more loyal to Nebraska. 

UCF: We understand. That means that you'll be nicer than all those guys that callously used their programs as stepping stones?

Frost: Nope! I'll treat you much worse. 

UCF: Worse? I thought you had a special attachment...

Frost: I do!

UCF: But you're going to ravage our program worse than coaches that hated their last school?

Frost: Yup! Go Big Red!

• Plus1 1

There's competing loyalties (staff, friends vs employer, university) here and either way Frost isn't going to come out a winner for both sides. I think UCF has solid ground to be upset, I think any program that had just went 12-0 would feel the same way. In time, I think this anger will fade away, especially if UCF continues to have success next season and the season after that.