ESPN-How Nebraska Got Scott Frost

I had a suspicion that he hadn’t decided until the very end.

If he had decided to stay with UCF it was okay with me.

I wouldn’t have liked it if he had signed with another program though.

We had discussed a number of good coaches if he had decided not to come.

I think this is the best outcome for everyone, but I don’t think it’ll be a cakewalk ....just nice to see things make sense for a change.

Edited by Hayseed

8 hours ago, Detasselingthehuskers said:

Is it not just weird as hell that the almost infamous game that Scott was booed at, was against UCF?

All of this is coming back full circle in so many different ways.  His first game in 97 was Akron.  His first game as HC will be ..... Akron.   This feels right on so many levels. 

I hope by some miracle we play FSU in the playoffs - esp the  NCG in the next few years to 'make right' that situation also.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:43 PM, zoogs said:

I think he knows how hard it is to succeed at Nebraska and grasps the enormity of the challenge before him. He would rock at UCF for a long time, perhaps however long he wanted. Nobody has been able to take Nebraska to the top for about two decades now, and the fallout if he flops here could be really ugly. He's right to be wary of it. 

Nebraska is now truly bringing the 90s back. Failure now can no longer be blamed on outsiders who don't get the culture, who don't respect the walk-on program, who don't play the style of play Nebraska should be playing, and so on. The pressure on Frost to deliver is enormous. I hope he is able to handle it with aplomb.

The bolded happens everywhere.  It really blossomed almost two decades ago.  It's the reason Jimbo left Florida State for A&M.  It's the reason NC winning coaches get fired or forced into retirement.  If Frost would have went to any other high profile program, the fallout for flopping would be just as ugly.  A lot of the shine for Harbaugh is quickly disappearing at Michigan.  Money has quickly eroded the college football landscape.  One really can't blame the coaches for taking the big money because quite frankly it might only last a few years.  With big money comes big expectations.  Year by year, college football is becoming a mirror image of the NFL.  Frost didn't come here for the money.  I hope he didn't leverage his entire career just for loyalty.  He can and will make this work if he's afforded the time. 

On 12/4/2017 at 2:43 PM, zoogs said:

Failure now can no longer be blamed on outsiders who don't get the culture, who don't respect the walk-on program, who don't play the style of play Nebraska should be playing, and so on.

As time has passed, I think there's significant acknowledgement that the root issue of the failure is tied to Perlman and his lack of desire for a football program to be a focal point of a university.