Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Watch the tape and tell me where you see any resemblance of Wisconsin, besides big white guys on the offensive line.

No you look at the tape and tell me the differences you think you see. And don't tell me about X' and O's because that's not what makes a program. 

Anyone who has spent even a little time reading up on Wisconsin is immediately struck by how much of an influence we had on it. That influence being mostly from Devaney.

Alvarez couldn't get the Nebraska job, so he took what he learned form Devaney/Fry and went to a team with colors like ours and made his own little mini Nebraska. They are a poor mans version of us. Us before Bob and Tom won it big.

What makes a program is culture, and theirs is based heavily on ours. And that culture is why they succeed still to this day with programs that have triple the blue chippers they do. 

Just now, husker98 said:

No you look at the tape and tell me the differences you think you see. And don't tell me about X' and O's because that's not what makes a program. 

Anyone who has spent even a little time reading up on Wisconsin is immediately struck by how much of an influence we had on it. That influence being mostly from Devaney.

Alvarez couldn't get the Nebraska job, so he took what he learned form Devaney/Fry and went to a team with colors like ours and made his own little mini Nebraska. They are a poor mans version of us. Us before Bob and Tom won it big.

What makes a program is culture, and theirs is based heavily on ours. And that culture is why they succeed still to this day with programs that have triple the blue chippers they do. 

:lol::facepalm: 

We're not talking about program culture. We were talking about the need for talent. So as it's related to what we were discussing, you're delusional (still) if you think Wisconsin resembles what Nebraska used to be on the football field.

And whether we agree or not on Nebraska/Wisconsin similarities, it isn't up for debate on whether Wisconsin is good enough to compete for National Championships. They are not. They lost to the only real team they played this season.

• Plus1 1

Frost will do fine recruiting. He known what he wants to do on both sides of the ball and will recruit to a specific system from day one something our last two coaches didn't which will be a huge advantage.

He'll sign a bunch on jucos this class maybe next year as well to stabilize everything.  then in year three in four when all the jucos have used up their time and frost has established Nebraska as the power in the west he'll sign a class of 25+ guys that are top 15 quality.

It's gonna be fine.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I think we can and should expect championships every single year. Stars dont play football. 

No, but @The Scarlet Pimpernel is right - current trends suggest you need to be an elite recruiter if you want to win a national championship. I don't think it does anybody any good to stick their feet in the dirt and suggest the recruiting rankings don't matter because they do to a degree.

They're just not the end all be all. Coaching, culture and scheme play a significant role, as well. Nebraska has always been a school that needed to get the most out of presumably 'less' talent and that's what Frost is going to have to do if he wants to win a conference championship (let alone a national championship) at Nebraska. NU will likely never consistently recruit at the level of tOSU and Michigan. But, they never have to begin with.

• Plus1 5

I think some of you are underestimating Frost. He's one of the hottest names in CFB right now, and if he comes to Nebraska and is able to WIN next year and the buzz continues, players will start to come.  Just think: if Nick Saban was our coach, do you still think we wouldn't get a Top 10 class? I think we would. Kids are willing to go wherever the coach they want to play for is.

• Plus1 4
57 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

:lol::facepalm: 

We're not talking about program culture. We were talking about the need for talent. So as it's related to what we were discussing, you're delusional (still) if you think Wisconsin resembles what Nebraska used to be on the football field.

And whether we agree or not on Nebraska/Wisconsin similarities, it isn't up for debate on whether Wisconsin is good enough to compete for National Championships. They are not. They lost to the only real team they played this season.

Man that sounds familiar, where have I heard that before? Didn't we used to go 11-1 and 10-1 and lose to somebody? I can't remember who.................... Oh yea! People said the same thing about our program in the 80's and Early 90's when we got plowed by OU and the florida schools every damn year.

They said we had the talent to win the CCG, but not enough for that NCCG. We don't have the speed, the athletes, we are to far away from the talent epicenters.

Thank god for that 15th ranked recruiting class, that got us over the hump to win 3 NC's.

Like I said they are us before we won the titles in 94 and minus the other NCG appearances. The difference is will they get over the hump? I don't think so IMO.

On a final note regarding the second bolded part lets not kid ourselves, Wiskey lost 27-21. They weren't blown out, or out classed by the OSU, a team that has guys who have NC rings and talent to win more.

They picked off JT twice. And most of OSU's scoring came in the first half, they only had 6 points in the second half.

Wiskey wins that game if they had some balance on offense with a QB that doesn't go 19-40 with 2 INT's.

They have weaknesses, but correctable ones.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Wisconsin has already proved the bolded part false.

Not this argument again. People need to realize this is an unreliable metric due to small sample size and causation vs correlation.

Wisconsin may have but teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State, ect. get exposed in playoff type competition. 

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Wisconsin may have but teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State, ect. get exposed in playoff type competition. 

This is your quote he's replying to:

"The only way we will be winning this conference multiple times in a decade is if we are consistently pulling top 15-18 recruiting classes. "

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You are aware this isn't really a debatable topic. right?

Wisconsin is the leper in that group, they last won the conference in 2012 because the top two teams in their division at the time were ineligible. Go take a look at the rankings of the teams in the playoffs and get back to this topic.

23 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Wisconsin has won the B1G three times in the last decade; therefore, the statement "The only way we will be winning this conference multiple times in a decade is if we are consistently pulling top 15-18 recruiting classes." is provably false. I guess @Dr. Strangelove is right, not debatable.

• Plus1 1