Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

I am not going to blame a kid who was committed to the former staff to look elsewhere and I am not going to blame the new coaching staff for not being able to keep the Riley commits in this year's class.  That's the way it goes with recruiting.  I would love to have kids commit to the school, rather than their position/head coach, but that's a realistic point of view anymore.

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There aren't any problems with my post, seeing as I wasn't claiming it was a direct comparison to Michigan. I didn't even talk about Harbaugh. I just gave his class rankings in response to someone else's post.

I said (didn't imply) we lost recruits due to a crappy season. Your reply doesn't refute that. There were rumors of Riley's firing because of the crappy season.

If you've ever topped a ball badly in front of a lot of people on the tee, you know how I feel right now.  I misread sorry.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

If we only got kids committed to the school and not to the coaches they built a relationship, we would have almost zero non Nebraskan players.

That's not 100% true.  Yes, the initial relationship with the assistant coach recruiting the player is important, but I hear a lot of time from players in the 80s and 90s that they were committed to playing for Nebraska, not necessarily that assistant coach.  The relationships with the assistants are a bonus.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's not 100% true.  Yes, the initial relationship with the assistant coach recruiting the player is important, but I hear a lot of time from players in the 80s and 90s that they were committed to playing for Nebraska, not necessarily that assistant coach.  The relationships with the assistants are a bonus.

That might be what they're saying but there tend to be quite a few decommits from schools when they lose a coach.

25 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

If you've ever topped a ball badly in front of a lot of people on the tee, you know how I feel right now.  I misread sorry.

np

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thats easy for them to say when they came to a dominant program and very seldom had a coaching change even with the assistants. 

Looking back at UCF recruiting numbers, they always did pretty well before Frost, but Frost definitely took their recruiting to another level. He had the #1 class in the AAC for 2017 and was closing in on another. The AAC isn't the BIG but there is strong competition in recruiting in that league no doubt.

I think he will do well here eventually, and he will do well to salvage whats left of this class. If we can end up #1 in the West that will be a victory. I wouldn't call it extremely impressive, but definitely a victory.

33 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Looking back at UCF recruiting numbers, they always did pretty well before Frost, but Frost definitely took their recruiting to another level. He had the #1 class in the AAC for 2017 and was closing in on another. The AAC isn't the BIG but there is strong competition in recruiting in that league no doubt.

I think he will do well here eventually, and he will do well to salvage whats left of this class. If we can end up #1 in the West that will be a victory. I wouldn't call it extremely impressive, but definitely a victory.

Nebraska has pretty much always been the top recruiter in the West since joining the B1G. The issue in winning the West has been more about development and coaching. I think SF and Co need to take a step forward over current recruiting results to put them in position to win conference and/or national titles, but the talent to win the West was already being brought in.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Nebraska has pretty much always been the top recruiter in the West since joining the B1G. The issue in winning the West has been more about development and coaching. I think SF and Co need to take a step forward over current recruiting results to put them in position to win conference and/or national titles, but the talent to win the West was already being brought in.

I agree but I was just talking about the '18 class. We aren't going to take a step forward this cycle with this much time left. The idea is to not take a step backwards.

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I agree but I was just talking about the '18 class. We aren't going to take a step forward this cycle with this much time left. The idea is to not take a step backwards.

But, the new coaching staff isn't to blame if it is a step backwards.  Starting to recruit for a class in December is pretty difficult, especially with the new December signing date.

We knew one of the fallouts with the coaching change would be a diminished 2018 class, but we need to focus on the long-term viability of the program, rather than one small recruiting class during a coaching transition.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

But, the new coaching staff isn't to blame if it is a step backwards.  Starting to recruit for a class in December is pretty difficult, especially with the new December signing date.

We knew one of the fallouts with the coaching change would be a diminished 2018 class, but we need to focus on the long-term viability of the program, rather than one small recruiting class during a coaching transition.

Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. Frost would be a little to blame if we don't finish with the #1 class in the west. Our star rating is higher than the rest of the west and we have more 4 stars than any other team, we just lack the number of commits. I expect Frost to finish around 30 or so and atop our division. If he can't do that it is still mostly on Riley but that is also a failure for Frost.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ehhh, I wouldn't go that far. Frost would be a little to blame if we don't finish with the #1 class in the west. Our star rating is higher than the rest of the west and we have more 4 stars than any other team, we just lack the number of commits. I expect Frost to finish around 30 or so and atop our division. If he can't do that it is still mostly on Riley but that is also a failure for Frost.

disagree