Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere on the board already and I've just missed the thread but I am wondering about the 2020 recruiting success or progress at this point.   With signing date in December (most sign by then anyway), it would seem that the numbers of commits would be above the historical norms generally for most programs.   I randomly looked up the 2020 numbers of offers and commits for schools such as Iowa, Georgia, Texas, Texas Tech, USC,  Michigan, Wisconsin and maybe a couple others, to compare to DONU.   Frost has offered a lot more than everybody else and have just three reported commits.

I am most curious as to what the recruiting approach for this staff is essentially?   Are we just offering virtually every possible player from around the entire country in hopes we will find enough interested prospects to get a good class?   Can we really do the best job of targeting the 'right' ones that really fit our system and so on, and then give the necessary time and personalized contacts and effort it will take to lure in those very best candidates?   I am not really second-guessing here as much as trying to just have a better feel for our recruiting philosophy or strategy and so on.   Did they recruit at UCF with this apparent 'shotgun' approach?  Anyone have any ideas on this ?    

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere on the board already and I've just missed the thread but I am wondering about the 2020 recruiting success or progress at this point.   With signing date in December (most sign by then anyway), it would seem that the numbers of commits would be above the historical norms generally for most programs.   I randomly looked up the 2020 numbers of offers and commits for schools such as Iowa, Georgia, Texas, Texas Tech, USC,  Michigan, Wisconsin and maybe a couple others, to compare to DONU.   Frost has offered a lot more than everybody else and have just three reported commits.

I am most curious as to what the recruiting approach for this staff is essentially?   Are we just offering virtually every possible player from around the entire country in hopes we will find enough interested prospects to get a good class?   Can we really do the best job of targeting the 'right' ones that really fit our system and so on, and then give the necessary time and personalized contacts and effort it will take to lure in those very best candidates?   I am not really second-guessing here as much as trying to just have a better feel for our recruiting philosophy or strategy and so on.   Did they recruit at UCF with this apparent 'shotgun' approach?  Anyone have any ideas on this ?    

Good question, I have no doubts that Frost can get his guys but the huge list of offers Nebraska has extended are puzzling. 

I wonder if it may go hand and hand with the traveling hat idea. It may be more just to get the brand out there. Get kids mentioning Nebraska in their high schools. Maybe they have no interest, maybe they aren't going to come here. But maybe that up and coming sophomore with distant ties that is coming into his own is more apt to listen next year when Nebraska comes calling? And maybe not, maybe we are just shotgunning offers and praying, but it seems this staff definitely has high valued "targets" that they spend a lot of time an resources on, so I do feel there are various tiers of value placed on the offers. 

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

53 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Good question, I have no doubts that Frost can get his guys but the huge list of offers Nebraska has extended are puzzling. 

It's very common. Nebraska typically gives out more than most though due to geographical difficulties.

https://m.herosports.com/college-football/2019-scholarship-offers-stanford-southern-miss-ahah

The SEC, ACC, and B1G all had about the same acceptance to offer ratio.  You cast a wide net to start, then narrow it down based on mutual interest.  If you're lucky you can be picky by the end of it all.

https://m.herosports.com/recruiting/sec-college-football-offers-2019-ahah

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1