Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

I wonder if it may go hand and hand with the traveling hat idea. It may be more just to get the brand out there. Get kids mentioning Nebraska in their high schools. Maybe they have no interest, maybe they aren't going to come here. But maybe that up and coming sophomore with distant ties that is coming into his own is more apt to listen next year when Nebraska comes calling? And maybe not, maybe we are just shotgunning offers and praying, but it seems this staff definitely has high valued "targets" that they spend a lot of time an resources on, so I do feel there are various tiers of value placed on the offers. 

This is probably part of it.

The best explanation I've seen is it's hard to get a lot of kids to be very interested and want to come on their own dime for an unnofficial visit if they don't have an "offer".  So we're mainly trying to get as much interest as we can and then pick from there.  Rising tide raising all boats and such.

We didn't have an attention grabbing season that gave any indication Nebraska is back and our coaches are the real deal.  I'm not sure if this makes sense but I was thinking it's possible the staff hasn't accepted a lot of commitments with the thought that if we can get off to a good start this season and make some noise then that could generate interest from higher rated recruits.  The offers are out to those higher rated recruits but we need to give them a reason to consider Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

To use a fishing analogy, it seems as though we are setting bank lines all over the lake and fishing with a boat load of poles with the thinking that the more hooks we put in the water, the better our odds of landing some keepers.   

I am also wondering if the thinking may be that there have been large areas and numbers of schools and high school coaches, players, etc. that the prior coaches going back a decade or more perhaps have simply ignored.   We are reintroducing Husker football and the current coaches and so on to places not recently connected with in any meaningful way.   Frost and his staff have been recruiting the west coast while at Oregon and then Florida/Georgia/Alabama most recently. 

With Nebraska's struggles on the field, we certainly have plenty of 'selling' to do.   Our brand was tarnished no doubt and needs a lot of polishing. 

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, GSG said:

A lot of funny quips. 

12:16 p.m. Husker coach Scott Frost takes the podium accompanied by his man-servant Matt Davison.

12:18 p.m. The University of Nebraska chancellor, dressed as a French maid, delivers a cup of coffee to Frost. The chancellor curtsies to Frost, then scurries away.

12:33 p.m. I note that Dantonio seems perpetually stressed like somebody who just quit smoking the day before, or the guy in the constipation commercial, or Johnny Depp’s accountant going over the books or...(write your own Dantonio joke here).

8:00 a.m. Central Time. Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz is up first. Putting Ferentz on early in the morning is a cruel joke on the world. You may as well crush Ambien pills inside the free bagels. Ferentz is the dullest human on the planet and I’m including trigonometry teachers, Cornhole analysts and Dick Stockton.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...