Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

MR salvaged a transition year class that was rated 30th by 247 Sports.  The 2015 class had 21 players in it.  Anyone have a good estimation how many we can offer this year?  Possible transfers would open up some spots and class size obviously has an impact on where a class is ranked,.  

Curious where everyone would like to see this years class ranked to be considered a success? 

On 12/4/2017 at 6:09 PM, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Look at these offers that have already gone out! These guys hit the ground running! :nanalama

Teshaun Smith *** DB

Will Honas *** LB

Bryson Williams *** DT

Javian Hawkins *** ATH

Jahmir Johnson *** OT

Jaron Woodyard *** WR

Greg Bell *** RB

Ayodele Adeoye **** LB

Joshua Fleeks **** WR

Derek Hunter **** DE

John Huggins *** S

Marcus Riley *** ATH

Trey Dean **** CB

Noah Banks *** OT

Jeremy Webb **** DB

Javontae Jean-Baptiste *** LB

Jashaun Corbin **** RB

Jerome Ford *** RB

Adrian Martinez **** QB

Katerian Legrone *** TE

Justin McGriff *** TE

14 3 stars;  7 4 stars.  0 5 stars.

If this is our recruiting class, where would it rank?    No 2 star guys is good, I assume but no 5 stars and mostly 3 stars.   Only 2 O line?  Only 1 D line?  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

14 3 stars;  7 4 stars.  0 5 stars.

If this is our recruiting class, where would it rank?    No 2 star guys is good, I assume but no 5 stars and mostly 3 stars.   Only 2 O line?  Only 1 D line?  

Dude, we've gotten 3 5-stars this century.

Lucky, Steinkuhler, and Aaron Green.

Calm down your expectations. Nebraska has pretty much always recruited "mostly 3 stars."

Frost isn't going to move our campus to California or Florida or Ohio or Texas or Georgia and suddenly start getting Top 5 classes.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
59 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Three guys that I hope Frost has re-contacted are:  Parsons, Bookie and  Craddieth (I know he has).

Parsons and Bookie are both 5* in my opinion.  I would like to see a bit of swag in some offers to some big time recruits ... but I get that they have to work smart.    

Sounds like Parsons is now off the table, at least that's what I saw late this last week. I believe he said it was too late in his process for Nebraska to get back into the fold.

Their strategy and execution have been very impressive, although I'm not sure how impressed I am by some of the prospects they are after (based on their star ratings). I'd expect that to change for the 2019 class when Frost and his staff have more time to work on those top-flight guys. I don't know what Scott's plan is, but  I'd keep this class on the small side since it's a "rushed" class. Save those schollies for 2019.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Their strategy and execution have been very impressive, although I'm not sure how impressed I am by some of the prospects they are after (based on their star ratings). I'd expect that to change for the 2019 class when Frost and his staff have more time to work on those top-flight guys. I don't know what Scott's plan is, but  I'd keep this class on the small side since it's a "rushed" class. Save those schollies for 2019.

It seems like he's leaning more towards a 'win now' mentality, 2018 and new coaches be damned. Or, at the very least, the mentality of 'let's do everything we can to cover our bases while we work to rebuild the program.'

I think it's a smart strategy overall because the reality is most 2019 recruits will redshirt, pushing back their playing days until the 2020 or 2021 seasons at the earliest. That's three-to-four years from now. There definitely has to be balance between now and the future though, no question.

I just look back at the last 15 years of Husker football and remember all the times I said 'just wait until next year when players X, Y and Z are able to contribute and we'll see the difference' or something along those lines. Under Callahan, things got worse. Under Bo, we hit a ceiling. Under Riley, things got worse. I don't think he wants to use time as an excuse and is hopeful they'll start winning ASAP.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It seems to me they're mostly (maybe exclusively) targeting the best players that they already offered at UCF. The players they're already familiar with. I think it's safe to say they will target players with more talent next time around, but right now they're trying to get the players they already have a relationship with.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You can't really do that when they limit the size a class can be.  Knowing we will have attrition in the spring, and that Riley left scholarships open in past classes, you need to fill this class. 

I don't care for the idea that you simply have to have a bunch of high rated guys, that was the Riley approach. There was talk that Riley was doing so well recruiting but I disagree.

You have to have a combination of role players who will work their tails off, and talented guys.  But most of all, the kids have to FIT. That is why you see Wisky do well with lower rated classes. Player development is a huge piece too.

The rankings are highly flawed beyond the top 50 and I don't put much stock in simply trying to sign all 4 star guys if they don't fit, don't want to work, and are not at positions of need.

I get the impression, albeit early, that Scott gets that and doesn't care what a guy is rated.

Edited by runningblind

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

It seems like he's leaning more towards a 'win now' mentality, 2018 and new coaches be damned. Or, at the very least, the mentality of 'let's do everything we can to cover our bases while we work to rebuild the program.'

I think it's a smart strategy overall because the reality is most 2019 recruits will redshirt, pushing back their playing days until the 2020 or 2021 seasons at the earliest. That's three-to-four years from now. There definitely has to be balance between now and the future though, no question.

I just look back at the last 15 years of Husker football and remember all the times I said 'just wait until next year when players X, Y and Z are able to contribute and we'll see the difference' or something along those lines. Under Callahan, things got worse. Under Bo, we hit a ceiling. Under Riley, things got worse. I don't think he wants to use time as an excuse and is hopeful they're start winning ASAP.

Sure. I'm on board with what they're doing, and I've always been a big fan of filling in your weaknesses through the JUCO ranks.  I get the same impression from Frost & Friends; they have every intention of making this a quick turnaround. It might take a while to star competing for championships, but I expect Nebraska to be competitive immediately. 

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't care for the idea that you simply have to have a bunch of high rated guys, that was the Riley approach. There was talk that Riley was doing so well recruiting but I disagree.

You have to have a combination of role players who will work their tails off, and talented guys.  But most of all, the kids have to FIT. That is why you see Wisky do well with lower rated classes. Player development is a huge piece too.

The rankings are highly flawed beyond the top 50 and I don't put much stock in simply trying to sign all 4 star guys if they don't fit, don't want to work, and are not at positions of need.

I get the impression, albeit early, that Scott gets that and doesn't care what a guy is rated.

Riley was in on top-flight recruits, he just couldn't close enough. But he was going after the right kind of guys.  Fit is very important, but the "role player who works hard" cliche is way overblown. Sure those guys are valuable, but if Nebraska is really trying to compete for national titles they're going to have to bring in elite recruits. They're going to have to do better than Wisconsin, because Wisconsin wasn't winning a national title this year. 

Recruiting will have to improve. It's a must. If Nebraska keeps recruiting in the 25-35 range we're not going to get where Frost says he wants to take us.

40 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Dude, we've gotten 3 5-stars this century.

Lucky, Steinkuhler, and Aaron Green.

Calm down your expectations. Nebraska has pretty much always recruited "mostly 3 stars."

Frost isn't going to move our campus to California or Florida or Ohio or Texas or Georgia and suddenly start getting Top 5 classes.

My point is that there are no offers.   We can't get them if we don't even try.  The numbers are basically the same as Riley, Pelini, Solich.   I understand he's just getting started this class but why so many 3 stars and not more 4s and 5s.   ?    If we are going to up grade the talent, we need to recruit better, not more of the same

If most of these guys are UCF offers - re-routed to Linoln - are now we recruiting at the UCF level instead of the top ten / elite target level?

33 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Their strategy and execution have been very impressive, although I'm not sure how impressed I am by some of the prospects they are after (based on their star ratings).

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel.

I was super impressed with how fast they started recruiting. The effort is top notch and I love it. The number of JUCO offers tells me they see some specific holes on the roster. The number of offers going out makes me think we have some sizable attrition coming?

I do think they have offered some players that other coaches would've been criticized for offering. Frost is going to get a pass on things for a while from the fan base I would guess. Maybe he should. I don't know.

If Frost was hired because he will be a recruiting 'star' himself, then he only has a very limited time/capital stock window when his gravitas will be high.  If he fails to reel in about 5 true difference makes (i.e. elite players away from the Bamas, Buckeyes, etc) in THIS CLASS, he probably never will.   This is when he is the 'rock star' and has the kind of household name connections to get him in the doors of the elite level recruits.   By 2018 December, he will be yesterday's news UNLESS he demonstrates his recruiting prowess NOW.   IN MY OPINION, as I said, we need to hire a recruit magnet that can coach the Xs and Os and hire the best staff possible.   

Thus far, I must ask you all:   Is this what Frost has done and is now doing?    Recruit magnet?      ???       Xs and Os>?    time will tell.     Best staff possible?     ????