Big Ten Bowl Games

Excel

B1G Bowl Season  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... there were two national guys I quoted saying the same thing.  So it’s not just Husker fans.

I don’t have anything against him.  I just don’t get why some people insist he’s such a great coach.  He’s done a very good job at NW.  But he’s in a win-win situation - if he wins he looks great, if he loses it’s all “it’s such a tough place to win”.  He hasn’t even won a division title.  And he routinely makes boneheaded decisions in games.  That’s an above-average coach at best.

In all honesty, and I know I'm in the minority, but both of his decisions were correct.

Going for a touchdown to go up two possessions vs kicking a field goal to go up 6 points is the right move. Not to mention, even going for it on that point on the field and failing is still better than kicking a field goal, from a mathematical standpoint.

The same with trying to gain one yard to win the game vs trading field position at the end. From a moneyball perspective, he's right. 

My point is, I like him as a coach and find him perfect for Northwestern, the same way Mike Leach is perfect for Wassu.

Edited by Dr. Strangelove

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Raking on FieldTurf was more dangerous than asbestos.   Time to replace it ....... from crappy FieldTurf to beautiful, sweet-smelling, softer natural grass w/ heater pipes underneath the surface.  Please avoid FieldTurf salesman pitch !

Edited by Hooked on Huskers
3 hours ago, huKSer said:

Plus the SEC is experiencing this year what the Big 10 did in the past - When the two teams are in the playoffs then the other teams are competing against teams two notches higher than your team in the lower bowls. 

SEC #5 team vs Big 10 #3 team etc 

I think our match ups with the PAC 12 this season are pretty good....and we are killing it!

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... there were two national guys I quoted saying the same thing.  So it’s not just Husker fans.

I don’t have anything against him.  I just don’t get why some people insist he’s such a great coach.  He’s done a very good job at NW.  But he’s in a win-win situation - if he wins he looks great, if he loses it’s all “it’s such a tough place to win”.  He hasn’t even won a division title.  And he routinely makes boneheaded decisions in games.  That’s an above-average coach at best.

The difference is that they're talking about one particular game while you're talking about the entirety of his career. I only see criticism of Fitzgerald in this sense from Huskers, that's not to say others don't do it - I'm sure that they do, but I've only seen it, and it's especially prominent, from you all. I get it, he's beat you all a couple of times, he's beat Wisconsin and Iowa as well and it's annoying as hell. 

He hasn’t even won a division title

You're thinking like a Nebraska fan. A 10 win season is success for Northwestern. 

Fitzgerald is a great coach. What he's accomplished at Northwestern proves that.

- Most total wins at 87, next closest is 49. 

- Most bowl wins at 3, next closest is 1

- Most bowl games coached at 8, next closest is 3

- Highest win percentage in the modern era (since 1945)

- Highest win percentage by an HC to have coached more than 3 seasons

- Fourth highest win percentage behind W. H. Bannard (coached 1898 team), Alvin H. Culver (coached 1895-1896 teams), and Walter McCornack (coached 1903-1905 teams).

He hasn't had a Gary Barnett, Rose Bowl type season, but his record has been impressive. Is he Nick Saban? No, but he's got to be among the top 20 active coaches in the country.

Edited by Excel

Becomes a lopsided score.  28 to 7.  Good chance 6-0 ....

BTW, I'm sick and tired commercial after commercial dominate on Datsun and cellphone service.  I will gladly pay extra fee on commercial-free channels .... just aimed stadium fans, discussion on sidelines, cheerleader stunts, old history videos/replays, etc, etc, etc.

Edited by Hooked on Huskers
  • Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Michiganball said:

I want to say something movie trailer like. Like "Miami, Wisconsin is coming and so is winter" or, No more hurricanes, just Frost(that one would be for Huskers playing). But cant get to cocky with those wanks playing at home.

Yea I don't feel good about this game at all, I wouldn't get that cocky.