Big Ten Bowl Games

Excel

B1G Bowl Season  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is the key

How would you describe Fitzgerald then? I feel like I've discussed this with someone else on HB, it might have been you. I'm not sure what Husker fans have against the man, I've only heard this kind of talk from you guys.

2 hours ago, Excel said:

How would you describe Fitzgerald then? I feel like I've discussed this with someone else on HB, it might have been you. I'm not sure what Husker fans have against the man, I've only heard this kind of talk from you guys.

I mean ... there were two national guys I quoted saying the same thing.  So it’s not just Husker fans.

I don’t have anything against him.  I just don’t get why some people insist he’s such a great coach.  He’s done a very good job at NW.  But he’s in a win-win situation - if he wins he looks great, if he loses it’s all “it’s such a tough place to win”.  He hasn’t even won a division title.  And he routinely makes boneheaded decisions in games.  That’s an above-average coach at best.

In that Northwestern game the couple decisions mentioned above were real head scratchers, not punting on own 30+ and that over the top fake pass play instead of just running for a yard.

Fun fact, this was the first time they won 2 bowl games back to back. Gentlemen we were watching history in the making, 20 years from now you will remember where you were when you watched that game. I was on a couch.

Edited by Michiganball
  • Plus1 1

Bowl records are fun but the who idea of judging the strength of a conference on a neutral site game a month after the regular season seems odd to me. It would be more interesting if these games were played a week after the regular season at a true neutral site. Most of these games are so meaningless that I can't really get excited watching them. 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, jaws said:

Bowl records are fun but the who idea of judging the strength of a conference on a neutral site game a month after the regular season seems odd to me. It would be more interesting if these games were played a week after the regular season at a true neutral site. Most of these games are so meaningless that I can't really get excited watching them. 

Plus the SEC is experiencing this year what the Big 10 did in the past - When the two teams are in the playoffs then the other teams are competing against teams two notches higher than your team in the lower bowls. 

SEC #5 team vs Big 10 #3 team etc 

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... there were two national guys I quoted saying the same thing.  So it’s not just Husker fans.

I don’t have anything against him.  I just don’t get why some people insist he’s such a great coach.  He’s done a very good job at NW.  But he’s in a win-win situation - if he wins he looks great, if he loses it’s all “it’s such a tough place to win”.  He hasn’t even won a division title.  And he routinely makes boneheaded decisions in games.  That’s an above-average coach at best.

I'm with you on Fitzgerald.  He is an extremely overrated coach.  The BTN is in Chicago, so they like to pump up the "local team", not to mention the amount of national sports media members who are graduates of Northwestern.

What Fitzgerald has done is continued the success that Gary Barnett and Randy Walker had from 1995 to 2005.  Those two guys were the miracle workers.  Fitz pretty much has the same team and coaches them the same way every year.  They have a bunch of close games that can go either way.  That leads to peaks of 10-3 and lows of 4-8.  The average season for him is about 7 wins, which equates to his 88 career wins in 12 seasons.

Edited by ColoradoHusk