Charlie Mcbride podcast on Big Red Cobcast

I.M. OLD

20 hours ago, commando said:

listening to that convinces me we can do much better next year just on effort alone.   add in some coaching and fire and who knows...could be much better than anyone could fairly expect.

It's incredible to think they even won four games after listening to this podcast. I don't like to harp on different coaching styles because something can fail one place and work in another. But, it always comes down to the coach, the culture and their ability to each. It sounds like, from everything we're hearing, it was a complete cultural and teaching failure. And just think - two of our wins were a couple of plays away from being losses.

It seems like a lot of things were done to enable a lack of passion, focus and effort. A change there alone could make a huge difference.

It's really sad that coaches like Parella and Williams weren't allowed to coach their craft and show what they could do. Even if the players had been taught they weren't playing in a scheme that fully utilized individual techniques. It explains why players like Lamar didn't improve that much. The lack of player development that we're learning about makes the hole the previous staff put us in that much deeper. No wonder we're pursuing so many JUCO recruits. What a mess mismanagement created.

• Plus1 1

Not going to make excuses, but put yourself in their shoes.

How much effort would you give at your current job, if you knew you were without a doubt going to be fired in 2 months, and then collect 2 years worth of pay after getting fired?  I'm guessing not much effort would be given.  

There is a reason we didn't hear about a lot of these problems until this year from this staff.

2 hours ago, soup said:

Not going to make excuses, but put yourself in their shoes.

How much effort would you give at your current job, if you knew you were without a doubt going to be fired in 2 months, and then collect 2 years worth of pay after getting fired?  I'm guessing not much effort would be given.  

There is a reason we didn't hear about a lot of these problems until this year from this staff.

I have pride, so......Let's also remember that they knew for sure the were going to be fired after the loss to Northern Freakin' Illinois.  They had already poisoned the season.  

Anonymous observations from players during this past season:

• Wanted the coaches to be harder on them.
  • Didn't like the way practices, film sessions or game days were run
  • Wanted to be more physical in practice
  • Didn't like the culture the coaches pushed
  • Some players were almost hoping Riley would get fired since the Ohio State game
  • Players generally really excited about Frost 
  • Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...

• 10 months later...
On 12/6/2017 at 3:14 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

No wonder the defensive assistants wanted nothing to do with Disco Bob.

How did Eichorst think that Diaco was the best coach at the University?  I would really be interested in hearing Eichorst's go into detail on what he did at NU.

And I am going to enjoy every story that comes out.  Hearing this inside information, even after the fact is so interesting to hear.

I think it had something to do with being the best "yes man"

On 12/6/2017 at 3:14 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

How did Eichorst think that Diaco was the best coach at the University?  I would really be interested in hearing Eichorst's go into detail on what he did at NU.

In the few clips they showed, he seemed like a "ra ra" guy. Also, Diaco used big and/or vague words to make himself sound smart, and also had an intense (which we now know as crazy) way of speaking. I think there are some people who are good at being convincing when the speak even if they're not saying anything, and manage to B.S. their way through life. A lot of them are politicians.

I'll also add the theory I cam up with right now that even straight guys are probably more likely to respect a dude that's good looking as long as he's not also wimpy looking.

• Plus1 2