Charlie Mcbride podcast on Big Red Cobcast

I.M. OLD

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In the few clips they showed, he seemed like a "ra ra" guy. Also, Diaco used big and/or vague words to make himself sound smart, and also had an intense (which we now know as crazy) way of speaking. I think there are some people who are good at being convincing when the speak even if they're not saying anything, and manage to B.S. their way through life. A lot of them are politicians.

I'll also add the theory I cam up with right now that even straight guys are probably more likely to respect a dude that's good looking as long as he's not also wimpy looking.

You confused people must not be into politics. People get duped all the time if someone can convince people they're smart. I think there were a lot of people who thought Diaco sounded smart when he first got here. This was merely a possible explanation on why Eichorst thought Diaco was the best coach ever, because I can't think of any other reason. Also, in my small amount of experience working for big companies, the head honchos tend to be tall and attractive males, unless they're old enough to be past that point, so that's where the last sentence comes from.

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In the few clips they showed, he seemed like a "ra ra" guy. Also, Diaco used big and/or vague words to make himself sound smart, and also had an intense (which we now know as crazy) way of speaking. I think there are some people who are good at being convincing when the speak even if they're not saying anything, and manage to B.S. their way through life. A lot of them are politicians.

I'll also add the theory I cam up with right now that even straight guys are probably more likely to respect a dude that's good looking as long as he's not also wimpy looking.

22 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You confused people must not be into politics. People get duped all the time if someone can convince people they're smart. I think there were a lot of people who thought Diaco sounded smart when he first got here. This was merely a possible explanation on why Eichorst thought Diaco was the best coach ever, because I can't think of any other reason. Also, in my small amount of experience working for big companies, the head honchos tend to be tall and attractive males, unless they're old enough to be past that point, so that's where the last sentence comes from.

Um...wait.

Did Moiraine just take her own quotation from yesterday and reply to it while thinking it came from someone else? 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Um...wait.

Did Moiraine just take her own quotation from yesterday and reply to it while thinking it came from someone else? 

giphy.gif

Um... no

33 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

No, she quoted her post in response to the people who gave the confused-face  response at the bottom.

thanks

• Plus1 2
On 12/6/2017 at 1:53 PM, BIG ERN said:

Cliff Notes:

• McBride talked to Parrella and he told Charlie that they didn't have any individual time during practice to "teach" techniques etc. He also said their D line technique was to bull rush and knock the ball down if they could, per Diaco
  • McBride also told Riley in a practice he visited that he didn't feel the scout team defense should go half speed. Riley said "I'll have to look into that"
  • He said this past staff was just more about running plays in practice and not working on technique, unity, work ethic etc. 
  • When McBride coached it was more about lining up and telling the offense to move the ball on them instead of trying to over think and confusing people
  • Charlie felt that Diaco tried to coach the coaches on every move. Said that Tom Osborne never did that in his career. Diaco blamed the players many times that they couldn't catch onto his defense
  • Good quote Charlie made "Players win. Coaches lose" 
  • Said Frost was probably the most competitive QB he remembers. Frost had a calm confidence that he thinks helps him in coaching 
  • He thought coach Cav was a pretty good coach, but wasn't impressed with the run blocking while he was here 
  • Talks about how he never made over $100k when coaching besides the time they got bowl bonuses 
  • Tells a story when Auburn had recruiting violations in front of his face 
  • All and all this last staff ran things like the NFL and had a soft mentality, ran easy practices without team cohesiveness 

I always thought cav was a bad coach, shows you what I know (which is little)

Interesting to go back and read thru this after Frost's first year. Good reminder of just how inept Riley and Co were, and how colossal of a rebuild this is. 

"Why is the scout team defense only going half speed and not trying to strip the ball?"

"I'll have to look into that"

Smgdh. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, Fru said:

Interesting to go back and read thru this after Frost's first year. Good reminder of just how inept Riley and Co were, and colossal of a rebuild this is. 

"Why is the scout team defense only going half speed and not trying to strip the ball?"

Smgdh. 

I coulnd't agree more....the more I hear about what was going on, the more I just gnash my teeth. 

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, mwj98 said:

I coulnd't agree more....the more I hear about what was going on, the more I just gnash my teeth. 

Same. It's one thing if he tried a system or style that just didn't work out. Riley and Co. were never putting forth an honest effort. 

McBride also told Riley in a practice he visited that he didn't feel the scout team defense should go half speed. Riley said "I'll have to look into that"

So...the scout team defense was told to go half speed against the starting offense?  WTF????

He thought coach Cav was a pretty good coach, but wasn't impressed with the run blocking while he was here 

I'm sure there were good assistant coaches in the program.  But, like this situation with Cav, it's pretty hard to be a good assistant when you're working within a scheme that does nothing to help your position group succeed and have practices that don't allow you to help the players improve.  He wasn't responsible for either of those.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 hours ago, Fru said:

Interesting to go back and read thru this after Frost's first year. Good reminder of just how inept Riley and Co were, and how colossal of a rebuild this is. 

Smgdh. 

No wonder so many players wanted to leave. :facepalm: Discipline isn't fun.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:41 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I feel really bad for the players the past 3 years.  Now, I know I have said that the players liked Riley because he was so easy on them.  But, I am sure there were a LOT of players that were annoyed and pissed off with the coaching staff.  Players of that athletic ability want to be coached, led, taught new things, and they want to win.

I know I haven't been high on Keith Williams, but his WR's liked him because he taught them a lot and made them better players.  It's great to see a guy like Brandon Reilly make it to an active roster in the NFL, based on what he learned from Williams.  I think that Williams was held in such high regard, because he seemed like an outlier to the rest of the Riley coaching staff.

It also means a lot when you have players like tyreek hill come to Lincoln for a week to work with Williams.  Williams is a great coach but had horrible coaching around him.

1 hour ago, huskerfan333157 said:

It also means a lot when you have players like tyreek hill come to Lincoln for a week to work with Williams.  Williams is a great coach but had horrible coaching around him.

Williams was a good coach and Nebraska benefited from having him here.  However, he was also very good at self promotion that aided in his reputation.  I'm not faulting him for that.  It helps in recruiting and respect from the players you're coaching.  Again, that isn't a bad thing.

However, there are a lot of other good WR coaches out there and I don't think we have seen a drop off in WR coaching since he left.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Williams was a good coach and Nebraska benefited from having him here.  However, he was also very good at self promotion that aided in his reputation.  I'm not faulting him for that.  It helps in recruiting and respect from the players you're coaching.  Again, that isn't a bad thing.

However, there are a lot of other good WR coaches out there and I don't think we have seen a drop off in WR coaching since he left.

Williams may have been thought of as a good recruiter, but the 2 best WR's the past few seasons were Morgan, who was a Pelini recruit who stuck around, and Spielman who Williams wasn't even in on, and was more of a Riley recruit (based on Riley's connections to JD's dad).  All of the other WR's recruited either never made it to campus, flamed out once they got to NU, or are still trying to find a spot in the WR rotation.

This is only looking at WR recruits.  I am not sure if Williams recruited other positions, based on a geographical area.

• Plus1 2