Charlie Mcbride podcast on Big Red Cobcast

I.M. OLD

1 minute ago, Undone said:

Un-*******-believable. Seriously.

This goes back to the assumption that I put together as this season unfolded - It was a top-to-bottom deficiency of both work effort and focus on competition.

I grow tired of having so many discussions on this board revolve back to a comparison against our program to the nineties, as their are umpteen other great examples to compare against...but just get your head around all of this. This is nothing like the program that McBride & Tenopir were involved with. 

A complete failure to compete.

No wonder all the players loved Riley and his assistants, they didn't make them work at all.  They went through the motions, running play after play.  But, there was no competition done on the practice field, and the starters were given their jobs based on skills and attributes rather than actual, on-the-field production.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

No wonder the defensive assistants wanted nothing to do with Disco Bob.

How did Eichorst think that Diaco was the best coach at the University?  I would really be interested in hearing Eichorst's go into detail on what he did at NU.

Maybe he saw Diaco leading the defense to various spots to presumably line up in different formations. That looked like a colossal waste of time to me given that there was no offense to line up against. 

Glad he's gone since it gets real old correcting Disco to Diaco when pecking away on a phone.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Maybe he saw Diaco leading the defense to various spots to presumably line up in different formations. That looked like a colossal waste of time to me given that there was no offense to line up against. 

Glad he's gone since it gets real old correcting Disco to Diaco when pecking away on a phone.

That made me chuckle.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

No wonder all the players loved Riley and his assistants, they didn't make them work at all.  They went through the motions, running play after play.  But, there was no competition done on the practice field, and the starters were given their jobs based on skills and attributes rather than actual, on-the-field production.

Speaking of going through the motions, all you have to do is watch us during the Tunnel Walk.  I don't know how anyone could tell the difference between heading out to the game and going to a Tuesday practice.

• Plus1 8

Just now, Mavric said:

Speaking of going through the motions, all you have to do is watch us during the Tunnel Walk.  I don't know how anyone could tell the difference between heading out to the game and going to a Tuesday practice.

By the middle of October this year, the players were done and ready for the season to end.  Most of the guys who were actually playing were just trying to make it through the season without a serious injury.  The guys who were backups, were probably just standing on the sideline wondering if they were ever going to play, but they had no idea what it took to actually get on the field.

The rotation of back-ups always made me think of "what exactly is the staff doing?"  Whenever there was an injury to a starter, it was anyone's guess at who was actually going to get the playing time behind that starter, and many times the backup ended up playing way better than the starter.

Cav's quote about only having to get 5 guys to play just irritates me to no end, and the way he was so pompous about his coaching philosophy makes it even worse.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

listening to that convinces me we can do much better next year just on effort alone.   add in some coaching and fire and who knows...could be much better than anyone could fairly expect.

I feel really bad for the players the past 3 years.  Now, I know I have said that the players liked Riley because he was so easy on them.  But, I am sure there were a LOT of players that were annoyed and pissed off with the coaching staff.  Players of that athletic ability want to be coached, led, taught new things, and they want to win.

I know I haven't been high on Keith Williams, but his WR's liked him because he taught them a lot and made them better players.  It's great to see a guy like Brandon Reilly make it to an active roster in the NFL, based on what he learned from Williams.  I think that Williams was held in such high regard, because he seemed like an outlier to the rest of the Riley coaching staff.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, GSG said:

I'm hoping we don't see a bunch of transfers in the spring. Hard work might scare some of these guys away after having 3 seasons "off"

Guys transferring is a good way to get rid of players who aren't going to work hard.  Those aren't guys you want in the program anyway, because they try to bring other guys down to their level, rather than lifting themselves up to the level of the hard workers.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, I am sure there were a LOT of players that were annoyed and pissed off with the coaching staff.  Players of that athletic ability want to be coached, led, taught new things, and they want to win.

I know I haven't been high on Keith Williams, but his WR's liked him because he taught them a lot and made them better players.  It's great to see a guy like Brandon Reilly make it to an active roster in the NFL, based on what he learned from Williams. 

+1. 

And as to the bold, it's just like you mentioned with Reilly and it's what I was going to say - There are guys that know that if their abilities get developed the right way they'll be millionaires someday.

So frustrating. 

• Plus1 1

One thing that caught my ear and maybe I'm listening too much into it is McBride said something about how Disco would make adjustments during practice on the fly for some plays similar to what Bo would do. Makes me think their schemes weren't very solid if responsibilities weren't already clear against 98% of formations and plays.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Guys transferring is a good way to get rid of players who aren't going to work hard.  Those aren't guys you want in the program anyway, because they try to bring other guys down to their level, rather than lifting themselves up to the level of the hard workers.

But you still have to field a team! :lol:

I don't expect many, but reading about the s#!t that has been going on really pisses me off

Edited by GSG
  • Plus1 1
Just now, GSG said:

But you still have to field a team! :lol:

That's what walk-ons are for!!!

Actually, I think you won't see a lot of attrition.  There will be a few guys that will leave, and that happens with any coaching transition.  However, you could see the excitement in so many of the players that were interviewed after meeting Frost on Sunday morning.  As I said above, most players want to be led, taught, and pushed to reach their best, which I think the new staff will excel at.

• Plus1 1