Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

I see Bo much differently than Riley.  Riley 'retired' essentially to his 'home town' and it seems unlikely he would be interested in another big time job elsewhere.   Bo is younger and surely wants to coach beyond his 50s.   Once his big bucks salary finally ends from NU, he will be either getting that 'deferred' salary from Youngstown State that he should have been getting all along, or he will want to seek another job.   If he doesn't like the pressure (this I doubt is a consideration in his mind), then he will stay and be happy with a 400K a year YSU long term contract.   But, if he is truly a big time program HC that has offers waiting out there, why on Earth would he not want to make a few more million bucks to shore up that retirement play fund balance?   

No, Bo and Tressel stuck it to NU and I feel confident he'll get a nice pay bump when NU stop sending those big monthly checks. Riley will likely be content to keep on being a true Beaver man and work for a minimal check just to hang out in Corvalis with all his friends and family, etc.   I recall Riley saying he wanted to give big time coaching 'one more try' before he retired.  He did.  It didn't work out the way he probably hoped although the cash was dam good.  

I don't believe Bo ever really was a "Husker" and never would have been.  He is a Buckeye from Ohio.   

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I see Bo much differently than Riley.  Riley 'retired' essentially to his 'home town' and it seems unlikely he would be interested in another big time job elsewhere.   Bo is younger and surely wants to coach beyond his 50s.   Once his big bucks salary finally ends from NU, he will be either getting that 'deferred' salary from Youngstown State that he should have been getting all along, or he will want to seek another job.   If he doesn't like the pressure (this I doubt is a consideration in his mind), then he will stay and be happy with a 400K a year YSU long term contract.   But, if he is truly a big time program HC that has offers waiting out there, why on Earth would he not want to make a few more million bucks to shore up that retirement play fund balance?   

No, Bo and Tressel stuck it to NU and I feel confident he'll get a nice pay bump when NU stop sending those big monthly checks. Riley will likely be content to keep on being a true Beaver man and work for a minimal check just to hang out in Corvalis with all his friends and family, etc.   I recall Riley saying he wanted to give big time coaching 'one more try' before he retired.  He did.  It didn't work out the way he probably hoped although the cash was dam good.  

I don't believe Bo ever really was a "Husker" and never would have been.  He is a Buckeye from Ohio.   

I'd be willing to guess that stress and pressure is a major consideration in his mind.  He had that health scare on the sidelines and I remember hearing of a few other issues that seemed stress related.  He may want another try at a higher level at some point but to say he is purposely sticking it to Nebraska by going back home to be the head coach of a pretty good program is a bit overcritical.  There are a lot of reasons why he is a good fit at YSU without factoring in his buyout.

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

Not sure if this is worse but Tennessee is paying Butch Jones millions to be an analyst at Alabama who is paying him $35K.

It's not worse. At least his pay is a lot closer to what it should be. That might be the normal pay for an analyst. Not sure what it is but it has to be a lot less than the norm for what Riley is doing.

I think we would be stupid to not at least have someone looking into the legality of what Riley is doing, but that doesn't mean we'll ever find out about it.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
On 3/7/2018 at 3:02 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

That is the most bogus statement I have ever read.   Bo tried his damndest to win here.  He gave seven years, if you don't think he is a "HUSKER" then you surely aren't either. 

• Plus1 8
2 hours ago, KingBlank said:

That is the most bogus statement I have ever read.   Bo tried his damndest to win here.  He gave seven years, if you don't think he is a "HUSKER" then you surely aren't either. 

sorry I should have included that bogus statement you quoted- you missed the fact that he actually compared Bo salary, $214K (which at the time in line with the market amount) to Smiley Mike's- Smiley is the criminal, $50k for a job that is typically $450k+?? of course Bo will deserve a raise for what he's done at Youngstown, Smiley should be happy to get a job at McDonalds let alone another coaching job- however giving him a job that typically pays over $450k and only paying him $50k is what is called sticking it to Nebraska. the Dude is a fraud and a weasel and the Beavers deserve him at whatever price  

3 hours ago, KingBlank said:

There is no need to question anyone's fandom and be a jerk.

In all of this, I now blame Scott Frost because he's closed practices off and we now have nothing to talk about.  #Sarcasm

Seriously though, maybe just drop this argument about Bo vs Riley, who was, or wasn't a "Husker", etc because it is all water under the bridge.  Let the past die, kill it if you have to."

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Mavric changed the title to Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not