Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not

TGHusker

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Not sure you're reading the context of my post correctly. If I was Riley I'd want a fair salary from OSU, but I most certainly wouldn't be worried about saving Nebraska any money in the process. If anything I'd take the low end of a "fair" salary so they could put that money towards the salary pool for the rest of the OSU assistants on staff.

Still, to me, it wouldn't have any bearing.  Here's why:

I would think I would always be looking at a job as long term.  So....let's say Riley would walk in and say...."hey...if you're willing to only pay me $100,000 per year, I really don't care because Nebraska is still paying me".

Now....let's say Nebraska's contract runs out and you're no longer getting money from them.  Sure, you could go and ask for a raise....but what if they say....no....we're happy where we are at. Are you really gaining anything by lowballing it in the beginning?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Still, to me, it wouldn't have any bearing.  Here's why:

I would think I would always be looking at a job as long term.  So....let's say Riley would walk in and say...."hey...if you're willing to only pay me $100,000 per year, I really don't care because Nebraska is still paying me".

Now....let's say Nebraska's contract runs out and you're no longer getting money from them.  Sure, you could go and ask for a raise....but what if they say....no....we're happy where we are at. Are you really gaining anything by lowballing it in the beginning?

Yeah, I get that. Again, I'd want a "fair" salary from them, but would have zero concern about saving Nebraska money in the process. Also, assistant contracts are usually 2 years at best, but I hear what you're saying.

"Current and former players thriving in the NFL and in life are proof of Coach Riley's tremendous ability to recruit outstanding young men," Smith said. "He understands what it takes to win in this conference, and how to evaluate and develop student-athletes. There is no one better to have represent OSU in the homes of recruits as we build this program."

Sounds eerily like Eichorst's introduction of Riley....

Except Riley wasn't supposed to "build this program", he just supposed to start winning championships.

Edited by funhusker

45 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Looks like one busy beaver figured it out. http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7686/mike-riley-named-assistant-hc?page=3

What's great about the events of this season.  GA walked away from millions thus helping us tremendously.

Now Nebraska will be paying for our Assistant Head Coach.  You couldn't ask for a better scenario from a financial perspective.  LOL this is great.

Nebraska could pay their entire coaching staff's salary and they'd still be a s#!tty football program.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

This brings up a thought - I wonder how Nebraska fans will remember Mike Riley in the future?

Will he be despised like Bill Callahan - a swear word in some quarters  or will he simply be forgotten like Bill Jennings and many others before The BobFather came on the scene? 

My gut feeling is that he won't be despised like BC - even thought he (MR) had a worse record.  BC was our first real taste of what NU football was like pre 1962.  He was the first of the Non-Husker coaches and is seen as the one that started to migrate us away from NU traditions and culture.  My guess is that MR will be seen as the bridge we had to cross to get back home (continuing the homecoming theme of this thread) - getting us back to the Nebraska Way.  So, if SF is successful, & I believe he will be, I think MR will be soon forgotten and otherwise seen as a nice guy that was the wrong fit for NU.   I wish him well back at OSU

I agree it will be the latter. I don't see him as a bridge, he wasn't keeping the seat warm for SF, he's just a coach that didn't succeed. 

Yes, the (at the time) shockingly bad records helped BC become disliked, but his smug and condescending attitude is what really drove the "hate".

2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Grrrh. At least Pelini goes off the dole soon.

I’m sure part of OSU thinking was that they could get Riley cheap. If he wants to coach it wouldn’t make sense for him to demand a lot of money. If he takes the job for 200K or whatever it’s not being done out of maliciousness. It’s in the best interest of his current program. 

Edited by olddominionhusker
  • Mavric changed the title to Mike Riley, Ore State Assistant HC .... or not