Climate effects

So, the Oregon -> UCF -> Nebraska offense is wide open and based on speed.  We constantly hear about B1G football and the requirements of running the ball and controlliing the clock to account for the cold/bad/winter weather that affects the B1G more than other football conferences.

Is this really that big of a deal?  Is the weather going to be a serious obstacle for the Frost Offense?

If Coach Frost were headed to Laramie WY, Duluth MN, or Bozeman MT I can see a bit more reason for concern but it's not like Lincoln is really that cold.  Are Div 1 18-23 year old healthy men really that worried about a little bit of cold weather?  Do they cease to be fast when the temperature might suggest a hooded sweatshirt instead of tank tops for tailgate attire?

In reading the UCF boards, they seem to be under the impression that Nebraska residents are on the verge of hypothermia 13 months a year.  I know it's Florida, but I've never heard people openly and proudly talk about how soft they were.  I get it if you're old or sick, but for healthy adults I'm sort of embarrassed for them.

So, how big of a deal is the weather to the Frost offense?

Edited by 307husker
  • Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, 307husker said:

So, the Oregon -> UCF -> Nebraska offense is wide open and based on speed.  We constantly hear about B1G football and the requirements of running the ball and controlliing the clock to account for the cold/bad/winter weather that affects the B1G more than other football conferences.

Is this really that big of a deal?  Is the weather going to be a serious obstacle for the Frost Offense?

If Coach Frost were headed to Laramie WY, Duluth MN, or Bozeman MT I can see a bit more reason for concern but it's not like Lincoln is really that cold.  Are Div 1 18-23 year old healthy men really that worried about a little bit of cold weather?  Do they cease to be fast when the temperature might suggest a hooded sweatshirt instead of tank tops for tailgate attire?

In reading the UCF boards, they seem to be under the impression that Nebraska residents are on the verge of hypothermia 13 months a year.  I know it's Florida, but I've never heard people openly and proudly talk about how soft they were.  I get it if you're old or sick, but for healthy adults I'm sort of embarrassed for them.

So, how big of a deal is the weather to the Frost offense?

I'd be more worried about BIG defenses

This has always bothered me.  I have been too hot way more than I have been too cold at a Nebraska game.  Actually the only game I remember being really cold at was 2015 Iowa.  The only game I actually remember significant snow was the 2007 Texas game and it snowed hard but it didn't really stick.  The regular season ends in November well before the heavy snow and cold really hits Nebraska.  Even if the weather was bad, don't these Florida guys want to get a taste of it before playing in Green Bay, Chicago, or anywhere in the northeast in December/January?

You don't understand the native Floridian mindset.  Floridians are weak when it comes to the cold.  It gets down to 70 and THEY are putting on sweaters*.  I just laugh.  About 60 they're putting on coats and hats and some switch to long pants from shorts (many wear long pants all year long.. don't know how they put up with the heat).   I'll put on a sweatshirt depending if I'll be outside awhile, otherwise I'll have it in the car just in case when normally it hangs in the closet.    Those of you that can handle the cold better probably would still be going in short sleeves.  So yeah, anything north of the Mason-Dixon line is the frozen north.

* since women love to dress up in new clothes, I tend to overlook their sweaters (depending on how well they're filled out :D ) and the fancy boots they finally have an excuse to wear.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNBigD said:

Almost the entire south is waking up to snow. A&M even tweeted out a photo of Kyle field - yet it gets portrayed as negative for us. 

I read a post from a UCF fan claiming that Nebraska has 4 months of 6-degree weather or colder :lol:   Most of these southern people have no f'ing clue what they're talking about

• Plus1 2

I agree that the weather deal is a bit overdone,  also when living in Eugene it was  a local joke  "If never rains at Autzen" , they also have fog, ice and snow and crap rain in the Willamette Valley.   What I am saying is that a spread, fast, throwing offense, can win in Lincoln.  By the way if we get to the point that the team is 10 & 2  and we think the two loses are due to not having and offense that can win in crappy winter weather than that is a problem I am looking to address. 

1 minute ago, mnhusker said:

I agree that the weather deal is a bit overdone,  also when living in Eugene it was  a local joke  "If never rains at Autzen" , they also have fog, ice and snow and crap rain in the Willamette Valley.   What I am saying is that a spread, fast, throwing offense, can win in Lincoln.  By the way if we get to the point that the team is 10 & 2  and we think the two loses are due to not having and offense that can win in crappy winter weather than that is a problem I am looking to address

Go to plan B: run the damn ball?

Just now, BIG ERN said:

It is cold for 1-2 games a year at most. This is no different than the NFL, actually better. Even the Miami Dolphins have to travel yearly to Buffalo and New England. 

This x 10000000

If these high school kids want to play in the NFL they better get used to playing in all different situations: domes, heat, cold, rain, snow, etc. The whole s#!t and shebang!

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd be more worried about BIG defenses

From what I have witnessed, most B1G defenses have all kinds of trouble playing in space. That is exactly what this offense does.

Likewise, most B1G offenses have trouble playing from behind when having to throw the ball.

The idea that it has to be done a certain way is narrow minded and honestly plays right into other teams hands. 

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 2