Climate effects

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

I've even heard people say it's because of "wind." As in, because it's typically windier on the plains than in any other part of the country. That just sounds ridiculous.

I say the answer to all of this is "no" and I'd present Ohio State - consistently the best team in the conference - as evidence. They run a spread offense, and even though it doesn't go as fast as Chip Kelly or do identical things it's still similar (and yes, I know they have a big emphasis on the power run as well in their scheme).

You don't think wind has an affect on a passing game?

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You don't think wind has an affect on a passing game?

I believe it has a measurable effect on passes of over 15 yards-ish, especially the higher the loft on the ball. For shorter passes I believe it's demonstrably negligible.

And if it's particularly windy on a given Saturday, you probably up your run ratio.

Do you think our wind factor should be cause for coach Frost to do things drastically different than the way he did them in Florida?

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

I believe it has a measurable effect on passes of over 15 yards-ish, especially the higher the loft on the ball. For shorter passes I believe it's demonstrably negligible.

And if it's particularly windy on a given Saturday, you probably up your run ratio.

Do you think our wind factor should be cause for coach Frost to do things drastically different than the way he did them in Florida?

No. I'm mostly playing devil's advocate to the idea that weather has a negligible affect. I think the idea that cold has a measurable impact on the game is overblown, but wind, rain, and snow can all have measurable impacts depending on the severity and the playcall. And we get a number of games each year with medium to strong winds.

34 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

'93 Oklahoma game is still the winner for me. Of course, I was sitting in the top of the west balcony with only one seat behind me from the very end of the stadium. That seat would now have the west stadium structure behind it so it wouldn't be exposed quite like it was.

I was at that game also. It was so cold our beer was freezing. We sat in first row of east balcony. Restrooms were froze up so we had to walk to ground floor south end of east stadium which wasn’t to handy. Think it was -10 at kickoff with 40 mph winds. 

17 hours ago, ZRod said:

Last home game with Kansas was pretty freaking cold.  Only in the low 30s but there was a breeze the wholetime that made it feel way worse. My feet were numb by the end of the game.

They ran out of hot chocolate at halftime of that game IIRC which was a major bummer. I also went to the Kstate game (@ Manhattan) that year and that was even colder. On the flip side I went to a couple of home Colorado games (One year I think was the year of Henery's kick) where the weather was pretty nice and fairly balmy.

This is the most rediculous excuse in the world. Its football!! The only reason it’s really come up is because of the recent “competition” with UCF players and coaches. Florida schools try to make it an argument. I’m in Ann Arbor. Lived in Gainesville. I’ll take Ann Arbor. But that’s me. I didn’t like having to change clothes twice a day in August because I sweated my ass off in all the humidity. If your in the middle of the state the humidity is unbearable. No ocean breeze. And the people.....that’s for another thread.

This is beyond foolish!

Kids are not choosing based on weather.

1. Am I gonna start? 

2. Who else is at my position

3.Am I gonna get the ball

4. Will I be on TV. night games? national TV

5. Who’s the coaches? Can they get me ready for the NFL?

6. Can we win?

7. Win championships?

8. Education? 

etc......

‘if you think any player with multiple P5 scholarships is thinking anything but getting to the NFL your fooling yourself. Weather is the last thing on their mind. Like I said before you always have your mammas boy who wants his mom at all the games. If she lives in Florida then he stays in Florida. But if mom sees a better route to the NFL from another school he’s gone.

Times are changing and players can make the NFL from the G5 but the P5 is more promising

i know I know someone will tell me it’s the education institution and it may be. My list up there is no particular order for everyone. 

My point.....weather? Weather? Come on!

• Plus1 1

bwahahaha.. watching the snow game that is Army vs Navy, temperature is 31 F.

The pretty blonde reporter on the sideline (I could not find any info on the cast/crew for the game) reported that both benches are rarely using the heaters, mostly to help dry towels or clean cleats of snow.  Paraphrasing: "The SEC would be using heaters at 65 F".   :LOLtartar    I take it she might have gone to an SEC school, or just taking a shot at the conference.

• Plus1 1

On 12/9/2017 at 1:42 PM, Redreign22 said:

Viewing some of the tweets coming from recruits on campus the cold is not helping. If Frost and Co. flip some of these kids it will be impressive.

It's all pretty irrelevant to me.  What B1G school has drastically different weather then Nebraska?   Weather you are home or away in the B1G, how is the weather that much different? If a team gets a chance to represent their side of the bracket, where are they going to play?  If you make it to a bowl, how is the weather different?

Finally, the kids that want to play in Florida or Cali ... hey, I get it ... bust most other places when you get to October, November or December, it's pretty relative.

Oh, by the way ... where are some of the greatest fans, facilities ... and Scott Frost?  :-)

Impact of the Frost offense in the cold is minimal.  How is that for a pun!!! 

Bad weather in terms of footing actually favors an offense during either the running and passing game. The offense knows where it is going, but the defense struggles  to make sudden, unexpected, cuts.

The weather element that factors in downfield passing more than anything is wind, regardless of temperature. 

We realize this, but getting these facts to high school players who have southern/western recruiters telling them the opposite is the real issue.  

Edited by HuskerPowerVA