Small-Town/Farm Kid Nebraska Huskers Tribute Thread

cheekygeek

Given Scott Frost's introductory press conference comments about getting the program back to where it used to be, and specifically on all of the Nebraska kids out there that grow up bleeding Husker Red and wanting to wear that "N" on their helmets, and how we need to make sure good Nebraska players are not going to other programs (etc.) I thought I would start this thread as a tribute to those Small-Town/Farm Kid Nebraska Cornhuskers of yesteryear. Scott Frost, from Wood River, NE (2016 population: 1354 ) is an obvious choice.

I'll let you decide the definition of "small town". Feel free to note any background you feel is relevant and links to their Bio pages on Huskers.com. Feel free to include YouTube videos, if you like. Commenters, feel free to quote the original post of the player and add more content (like YouTube videos) if you feel that more should be added.

To start things off, I'd like to give a tip of the cap to Husker brothers Joel and Jeff Makovicka, from Brainard, NE (2016 population: 320).

Jeff's Bio Page

In addition to devastating blocking as a FB, Jeff averaged 6.3 yds per carry and was on both the 1994 and 1995 Nebraska National Championship teams.

Article on Jeff: Nebraska Cornhuskers’ walk-on history proves that, in recruiting, there’s still one trait no metric can beat

Joel's Bio Page
Joel was on the last 3 Nebraska National Championship teams (94, 94, & 97), He averaged 5.9 yds/carry but more than doubled his older brother in TD production (6 vs 13).

Edited by cheekygeek
  • Plus1 1

Maybe not necessarily small town or farm boys I guess but Andy Janovich (Gretna) and Brandon Reilly (Lincoln ) are a couple recent ones ,  that went all the way from walk ons,  to great players here,  and on to the NFL . I look forward to seeing more stories like that under Frost . 

Edited by Big Red 40

I love to wax nostalgic as much as the next guy, but what about current walk ons that reflect the spirit of the program?

I'm biased, but this kid bleeds Husker Red, and is what the walk on program is about. Born, Bred, and Go Big Red.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/hometown-husker-conor-young/article_fa1f971e-0598-5612-84bf-3d8236816537.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook