Honest Expectations (Frost and Co)

TAKODA

I love all the suggestions so far.  What I would add is:

>Establishment of relationships between coaches and players AND between players and players.  Since the coaching staff is already a cohesive unit, they can concentrate on bringing this team together as a team and not just a few star players. Teach them the importance of looking out for the guy in either side of them and being committed to the team overall.

>Coaching this team with regards to football fundamentals

>Establishing discipline! No more sloppy playing or those endless 'delay of game' or 'personal foul' penalties.  

>Making sure these players know the plays!  Our boys looked so lost so much of the time this year especially on defense.

If we can get the above going during the first year we will win game or at least be competive.

Lets hypothetically say Frost coaches Nebraska the next 20 years (very possible IMO). The records of the teams will take care of themselves. I think fans also have to be mindful that we haven't won a conference title in 19 years and a national title in 21 years come the 18' season.

I would be very happy if he could do the expectations below. Some might say lofty, some might say not good enough. The B10 is a good conference with solid tradition, and very good coaches right now. Wisconsin has proven consistent winning, MN has row the boat, Purdue has improved with Brohm, Ferentz can pop up at any season, Fitz also a sneaky good coach. Then you have Meyer, Harbaugh, Franklin, and Dantonio in the East. 

Years 1-5: Win the West 2/5 years. 1 B10 Title 

Years 5-10: Win the West 3/5 Years. 2 B10 Titles 

Years 10-20: Win the West 5/10 years. 3 B10 Titles. 1 National Championship before retiring 

• Plus1 2

I'm hoping to be able to beat Wisconsin and Iowa in year three and compete well in the conference title game.

Long term, I'm hoping to win our division 50% of the time and win the conference every 1 in 4 years.

If either of the above doesn't happen, but our team has unity and competes without the drama and headcase nonsense that we've seen at times by the last three regimes, I won't be upset. I won't be on here or anywhere else disparaging coach Frost. I'll be proud of us again.

• Plus1 1

I don't know what my "expectations" are, but I'm just excited to have a coach that I think will do a great job.  I could be wrong on that of course, but this is the first coach I have been excited for since Osborne.  There were times where I liked Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and even Riley, but I didn't have the excitement about the future that I do now.  

Year one, 8 wins max.  It's a gauntlet of Big Ten powers.  Maybe we have a better unit than we think and knock off a couple.  But he's taking over a team that mostly gave up, a team that had very little guidance we are finding out and most importantly a team that got used to losing games it shouldn't.

Year two, win the division.

• Haha 2

Just now, RunMickeyRun02 said:

We knew next year would be rough years in advance. Not a bad year to hit the reset button. 

I expect improvement. All he has to do is win five games to do that. What I want is a bowl game which would be two more wins than last year. 

I also think it's a great year to go through a transition year.  The schedule and the 2017 record will provide lower expectations from the fans.  I still think the schedule has a built in 6 wins (assuming Frost is the upgrade in coaching that we expect) so then if Frost wins 1-2 50/50 games and pulls off one upset, then NU is looking at 8-9 wins.

#1.  Change the culture back to Nebraska values.  This includes turning boys into good men.   Coaches should be mentors.  I want to be proud of our program off the field, too.

#2.  Make improvements in play.  Win when we should.  Lose with grace, at least be competitive.

#3.  Bowl game would be nice.

#4.  Make Nebraska respected in college football again.

#5.  Within 3-4 years, we should be back in the thick of it for conference championships, national playoffs.  At least be close.

• Plus1 2