Honest Expectations (Frost and Co)

TAKODA

Has Frost ever said we’ll win championships?  That’s impressive to me because the last three came in promising big things and then didnt deliver. It was like being sold a bag of coal when diamonds were promised. 

for me, this program is so far down that success is going to be game by game for awhile. At this point the team just needs a sound process not a bunch of empty dreams

8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Has Frost ever said we’ll win championships?  That’s impressive to me because the last three came in promising big things and then didnt deliver. It was like being sold a bag of coal when diamonds were promised. 

for me, this program is so far down that success is going to be game by game for awhile. At this point the team just needs a sound process not a bunch of empty dreams

Or sold a bag of diamonds and coal was delivered.....or promised a date with the homecoming queen but getting hooked up with a literal pig with lipstick.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also think it's a great year to go through a transition year.  The schedule and the 2017 record will provide lower expectations from the fans.  I still think the schedule has a built in 6 wins (assuming Frost is the upgrade in coaching that we expect) so then if Frost wins 1-2 50/50 games and pulls off one upset, then NU is looking at 8-9 wins.

Yeah, my normally pessimistic gut is telling me he'll be more of a Pelini in his first year than a Callahan or Riley but I refuse to let my hopes up get out of control. 

• Plus1 1

UCF conference Rank / N's conference rank

1st in passing offense / 2nd in passing offense

6th in rushing offense / 13th in rushing offense

4th in rushing defense / 13th in rushing D

6th in passing defense / 11th in passing D

Installing entirely new systems on both sides of the ball with players who were not recruited to fit those systems is not an ideal formula for winning a lot of games.

I expect our run game to be a focus and our rank to improve and be among the top 8, passing to hold steady in top 3.  Rushing D improve to top 7, passing D to stay same.

I will trade wins next year for building a strong running game and rushing D foundation if that's what it takes.

I think some of us will be surprised by how fast he turns this around. This will be a fun thread to visit this time next year.

The last year of the big 12, going into the first year in the big 10 there was a lot of talk of "has anyone won a conference championship in two different conferences back to back?" Of course we didn't win either, but Frost's ceiling is higher imo. It won't take long for that narrative to pop up.

By the second year I expect every game to start with the announcers talking about the Big Ten West's new threat, with a heavy dose of hype up to our first loss.

I'm not really sure what my point is aside from our expectations will probably bounce up pretty high after a couple years of mediocre pelini-level success. "Next year" will be ours again!!

9 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

We got Frost as our head coach.

I am lounging back and sippin some Jack Daniels on the rocks the next 7 years just enjoying the ride.

Wild Turkey 101 for me, please.

Edited by Sparker
1 minute ago, Sparker said:

I think some of us will be surprised by how fast he turns this around. This will be a fun thread to visit this time next year.

The last year of the big 12, going into the first year in the big 10 there was a lot of talk of "has anyone won a conference championship in two different conferences back to back?" Of course we didn't win either, but Frost's ceiling is higher imo. It won't take long for that narrative to pop up.

By the second year I expect every game to start with the announcers talking about the Big Ten West's new threat, with a heavy dose of hype up to our first loss.

I'm not really sure what my point is aside from our expectations will probably bounce up pretty high after a couple years of mediocre pelini-level success. "Next year" will be ours again!!

Wild Turkey 101 for me, please.

Had a little too much of this during the Riley years, and it was no lounging and sipping going along with it. 

• Plus1 1

The situation that Riley is coming into is much different than Frost.  Riley took over a program that had won 9+ games 6 or 7 years in a row.  It wasn't supposed to be a rebuild, but Riley found a way to burn it all down.

Frost is now taking over a dumpster fire. I truly believe if we hired Frost instead of Riley, we don't lose a beat and continue winning 9 games a year with Tommy Armstrong manning the helm.  With that said, the 2018 schedule is tough.  Combine that with a whole new system being implemented, I don't think it is reasonable to expect much in year one outside beating the teams we are supposed to, and maybe stealing a few toss ups.  I hope the fan base can be patient, and I don't see why they wont.  We found our floor, and only expect us to trend up from here.  What that trend looks like, I have no idea, but it can't be any worse than the past 3 years.

• Plus1 1