Honest Expectations (Frost and Co)

TAKODA

Honestly, I just want to be relevant in college football. Top 10 every year And every 3 years be in the conversation of getting into the college playoffs. A great example of this would be Oklahoma; top 10 program every year and every three years they're in the conversation in being in the playoffs. Not to unrealistic with our division and our resources.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You do know sports are a competition, with winners and losers, right?

I get what you are saying but records can be deceiving.  By year 3-4 i want to compete in every game.  I want to have a realistic chance of winning with 5 minutes left in the 4th of every game.  It's been a while since we could say that.  

That being said if we in every game but only winning half of them that's not good.

• Plus1 1
Just now, melscott62 said:

I get what you are saying but records can be deceiving.  By year 3-4 i want to compete in every game.  I want to have a realistic chance of winning with 5 minutes left in the 4th of every game.  It's been a while since we could say that.  

That being said if we in every game but only winning half of them that's not good.

I understand that records can be deceiving, but I was just commenting on the poster's general comments about not caring about wins and losses.  Why even follow sports teams if you don't care about wins and losses?

22 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

I know people say that...then come Saturday we all start thinking of ways that NU can win the game when they are 21 point dogs.  That is the fun of being a fan!

• Plus1 1

I'll be happy if next year...

1.  I'm excited for each game and think we at least have a shot at winning each game.

2.  I can stomach to watch the second half of each game.

My advice is to try to keep your expectations low.  It's the key to happiness.  :)

• Plus1 2

I am impressed with the thought process by all here in this thread. Much appreciated as I was hoping that would be the case, rather than the same old rhetoric  being repeated that we have heard from past leadership (titles, championships, will not gravitate towards mediocrity). We all listened to that hype with each coach an AD, and hoped they would have the answers and results they touted. However, deep inside of us all,  most of us felt that our previous coaching selections wouldn’t know the ‘Nebraska Way’ if it bit them in the bum. Carry on with your thoughts. Like someone said, it will be interesting to revisit this thread next year at this time. Wish there was a way to +1 a large group here.

The comments so far, are much more rational than those in our previous or should I say recent, coaching changes. 

Therefore, SF has already had a successful impact on Husker Football. GBR!

Quick edit: I am not saying we shouldn’t have high expectations, just rational ones in a timely manner!

Edited by TAKODA
See Quick edit remark!

I'm late to this thread, so I won't have much new to add.

Year one: I think just making a bowl should be the expectation. Anything better is gravy. I think Nebraska could realistically win more than six games in the regular season, but the first year is more about implementing the system than wins and losses. As we all know, the schedule is tough too.

Years two and three: In one of these two seasons, I expect a big jump. Not necessarily a playoff or national title jump, but a dramatic increase in on-field performance. By the end of year three, you generally know how good or bad a coach can be. There are exceptions, but there aren't many coaches winning seven or eight games a year that have a huge jump in year six or later.

5 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

There are exceptions, but there aren't many coaches winning seven or eight games a year that have a huge jump in year six or later.

And by huge jump, I mean being consistently good after that. Not one 10-win season, then going back to winning seven or eight games for another decade. 

8 hours ago, TAKODA said:

I am impressed with the thought process by all here in this thread. Much appreciated as I was hoping that would be the case, rather than the same old rhetoric  being repeated that we have heard from past leadership (titles, championships, will not gravitate towards mediocrity). We all listened to that hype with each coach an AD, and hoped they would have the answers and results they touted. However, deep inside of us all,  most of us felt that our previous coaching selections wouldn’t know the ‘Nebraska Way’ if it bit them in the bum. Carry on with your thoughts. Like someone said, it will be interesting to revisit this thread next year at this time. Wish there was a way to +1 a large group here.

The comments so far, are much more rational than those in our previous or should I say recent, coaching changes. 

Therefore, SF has already had a successful impact on Husker Football. GBR!

Quick edit: I am not saying we shouldn’t have high expectations, just rational ones in a timely manner!

This thread got me thinking about what SF's incoming strategy should be.  Maybe this would be better as the start of a new topic.

Should he do everything he can to win next year by adapting his system to the players on the roster even if that means delaying the longer term development of his system/program?  Or should he keep an eye on the longer range goal of winning the division and conference and with that in mind not waste a season holding back on the full implementation of his system even if the players he has don't fit it right now.  Should he put all other considerations aside and get it off the ground and running right off the bat so when he does bring in his guys, everything is already in place and set to blast off.

Personally I think this was MR's biggest mistakes.  I think he tried to bridge the gap with the older players and limiting the full implementation of his system.  When he could have thrown a bunch of the young guys out on the field instead right from the get go, taken a lot of heat for it, but then in year three had a veteran group of players in his system who likely would have had a lot of success and going into the 4th year the buildup and excitement would completely override all the criticism he would have received gutting it out the first two.