Recruiting Tangent Thread

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Not to take notice of who was on those teams is equally shallow

notice was taken and they didn't compare to what you stated earlier

After those guys graduated and went to the NFL they were that caliber - not when recruited

4 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

notice was taken and they didn't compare to what you stated earlier

After those guys graduated and went to the NFL they were that caliber - not when recruited

Do you have proof or is this another blanket statement that Osborne only fielded walk ons from Mead, NE?

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Do you have proof or is this another blanket statement that Osborne only fielded walk ons from Mead, NE?

You have shown recently the ability to look things up fairly quickly - i'm confident with what i have stated and don't need to look it up / go check for yourself.

I didn't even know we fielded a walk on from Mead, NE - thanks for the info.  Do know that i have NEVER stated or heard anyone state anything close to that.

The silliness of this last post from you leads me to drop out of this conversation because i understand that reality has left...

1 minute ago, GBRFAN said:

You have shown recently the ability to look things up fairly quickly - i'm confident with what i have stated and don't need to look it up / go check for yourself.

I didn't even know we fielded a walk on from Mead, NE - thanks for the info.  Do know that i have NEVER stated anything close to that.

The silliness of this last post from you leads me to drop out of this conversation because i understand that reality has left...

So I ask you for proof of your claims and you ask me to look them up for you?  Lol.  You probably shouldn't have stepped onto this if you weren't prepared.

I think the most relevant information is the oregon recruiting classes. Because they ran a similiar system to what we will be running. Between the 2 NC appearances by oregon over what appears to roughly be a 10 year recruiting period is that oregon recruited on average between a recruiting class of 16-28. That is totally in line with how Scott Frost is recruiting at the current moment, and I fully expect it to get even better over the next few years with on field results. So it is entirely relevant to look at that and say if we continue to recruit at this level and better- and recruit the speed Frost and (Chip Kelly) would. Then this system will allow us to recruit at this level and win 10-12 games a year and compete for a national title every few years. Keep in mind over that time period Oregon was winning 10-12 every year and killing everyone 70-10. So if we can duplicate that success for the next 10-20 years sign me up.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think the most relevant information is the oregon recruiting classes. Because they ran a similiar system to what we will be running. Between the 2 NC appearances by oregon over what appears to roughly be a 10 year recruiting period is that oregon recruited on average between a recruiting class of 16-28. That is totally in line with how Scott Frost is recruiting at the current moment, and I fully expect it to get even better over the next few years with on field results. So it is entirely relevant to look at that and say if we continue to recruit at this level and better- and recruit the speed Frost and (Chip Kelly) would. Then this system will allow us to recruit at this level and win 10-12 games a year and compete for a national title every few years. Keep in mind over that time period Oregon was winning 10-12 every year and killing everyone 70-10. So if we can duplicate that success for the next 10-20 years sign me up.

Hear what you are saying and it sounds great!!!!  but some around here will remind you that isn't a top 5 recruiting class and NC recipe :(

5 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Hear what you are saying and it sounds great!!!!  but some around here will remind you that isn't a top 5 recruiting class and NC recipe :(

For the last 20 years at least, a 16-28 recruiting ranking is not a recipe for a NC winner.

It has been the recipe for 2 NC losers and 2 CFP losses.

But at least they got there so they had a shot.  Just came up short

8 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

For the last 20 years at least, a 16-28 recruiting ranking is not a recipe for a NC winner.

It has been the recipe for 2 NC losers and 2 CFP losses.

But at least they got there so they had a shot.  Just came up short

I think it is worth noting the dominance the ducks had during that period and the fact they had a shot at 2 titles with that talent. It says this system gives you an edge with lesser star ratings. Sure they lost 2 titles- but so did Osborne for 20 years. NU in most of 70s and 80s pounded people 70-10 just like Oregon. We had lots of shots at titles but lost. Many thought Osborne peaked and couldn’t win the big one. 

My only point being I think we can expect much greater results with this staff and this system compared to the last staff. Even though so far their classes are rated about the same. If we can get 10-20 years of old Nebraska or recent Oregon success I call that a win. If your that close to a title then I think eventually u will break through- unfortunately for Oregon they never got to find out because all their great coaches left. Imagine if chip kelly and Scott frost stuck around for 25 years instead of only 10? I would guess they had a natty in their future 

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think it is worth noting the dominance the ducks had during that period and the fact they had a shot at 2 titles with that talent. It says this system gives you an edge with lesser star ratings. Sure they lost 2 titles- but so did Osborne for 20 years. NU in most of 70s and 80s pounded people 70-10 just like Oregon. We had lots of shots at titles but lost. Many thought Osborne peaked and couldn’t win the big one. 

My only point being I think we can expect much greater results with this staff and this system compared to the last staff. Even though so far their classes are rated about the same. If we can get 10-20 years of old Nebraska or recent Oregon success I call that a win. If your that close to a title then I think eventually u will break through- unfortunately for Oregon they never got to find out because all their great coaches left. Imagine if chip kelly and Scott frost stuck around for 25 years instead of only 10? I would guess they had a natty in their future 

I agree that they certainly out played their rankings.  Worth noting is that leading up their 2nd shot, their rankings were mostly higher than 15.

So there is history on the side of Frost if he can duplicate.  Just hope if it happens the results are better.

38 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I agree that they certainly out played their rankings.  Worth noting is that leading up their 2nd shot, their rankings were mostly higher than 15.

So there is history on the side of Frost if he can duplicate.  Just hope if it happens the results are better.

I agree and hope they can do it. On field success should only make recruiting easier and the classes creep up into that 10-15 range 

• Plus1 1

I think expecting Nebraska to have recruiting classes ranked around 15 is pretty reasonable. If Nebraska could land more of the 4 stars from kansas and Missouri instead of having them go to Ohio state and Oklahoma would bump Nebraska up a few spots. That and this staffs ties to the south top 15 classes dont seem unrealistic.

2 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think expecting Nebraska to have recruiting classes ranked around 15 is pretty reasonable. If Nebraska could land more of the 4 stars from kansas and Missouri instead of having them go to Ohio state and Oklahoma would bump Nebraska up a few spots. That and this staffs ties to the south top 15 classes dont seem unrealistic.

I'm expecting an average of 20, trending better as we win more.

24 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm expecting an average of 20, trending better as we win more.

I agree because I see them taking a fair amount of low to mid three star guys they really like.  That will keep the overall yearly rankings lower. It will still be the best in the west most every year.

• Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread