Recruiting Tangent Thread

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't disagree, it's good to get some nearby projects and I think they're more likely overall to contribute. Aren't 3 of those guys committed as walk ons? They're willing to join the the team and work for a scholarship, a kid from SC isn't going to come halfway across the country without one. This way we get both.

There's also a difference between a project that could turn into a great tackle and a project who can only play Guard. Fritzche is athletic enough to be a great Tackle - obviously that's not guaranteed, but it's a possibility. Nothing against the walk-on commits, but who was the last walk-on Tackle who contributed in a big way? We've churned out some really good Centers and Guards, not any Tackles that I can recall.

Who was the last TE turned Tackle that contributed in a big way?

18 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Also...

When Robert Gallery was chosen 2nd overall in the 2004 NFL Draft, he was a rarity at that time, a high school tight end being drafted to play offensive tackle. Gallery may not have been the first ever, but he did seem to kick off a modern era where colleges look more for frame and athleticism than sheer weight and size when it comes to offensive line recruits. 

Joe Staley "cried his eyes out" over being moved from tight end to offensive tackle as a freshman at Central Michigan. He is now a Pro Bowl tackle for the San Francisco 49ers and due to make over 8 million dollars this year. The move is still met with some resistance from young men, but stories like those and the plentiful examples in the Big Ten should be enough to convince prospective tackles that the move is promotion, not a demotion.

COLE CHEWINS - Michigan State (6-8, 264 - Clarkston, Mich.)
BEAU BENZSCHAWEL - Wisconsin (6-6, 308 - Grafton, Wis.)
BLAKE HANCE - Northwestern (6-5, 300 - Jacksonville, Ill.)
COY CRONK - Indiana (6-5, 305 - Lafayette, Ind.)
IKE BOETTGER - Iowa (6-6, 300 - Cedar Falls, Iowa)
BOONE MYERS - Iowa (6-5, 300 - Webster City, Iowa)
CHRISTIAN DiLAURO - Illinois (6-5, 300 - Uniontown, Ohio)

THE NEXT GENERATION (2018 Class)
Ryan Hayes, Traverse City (Mich.) West - committed to Michigan
Jack Plumb, Bay Port (Wis.) - committed to Iowa
Julian Pearl, Danville (Ill.) - committed to Illinois

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Did you read any of the conversation or did you just jump in so you could try to show how you can prove someone wrong?

We were discussing NEBRASKA.  Husker in WI asked who was the last walk on to contribute as a tackle in a big way.  And that's when I asked my question.  

I don't understand. He posted an article that answered your question:

31 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Or are you trying to say that TE turned OT trends are only relevant for Nebraska under different coaches than we have today? That seems ridiculous.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Did you read any of the conversation or did you just jump in so you could try to show how you can prove someone wrong?

We were discussing NEBRASKA.  Husker in WI asked who was the last walk on to contribute as a tackle in a big way.  And that's when I asked my question.  

So if it's never happened at Nebraska it can't happen?  We can't try anything that's proved to work other places?

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I don't understand. He posted an article that answered your question:

Or are you trying to say that TE turned OT trends are only relevant for Nebraska under different coaches than we have today? That seems ridiculous.

I wasn't saying anything.  Husker in WI asked when was the last walk on to contribute significantly at Tackle at Nebraska.  I asked when the last TE converted to Tackle that contributed significantly at Nebraska.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So if it's never happened at Nebraska it can't happen?  We can't try anything that's proved to work other places?

Why aren't you posting names of players that were once walk on tackles at other places that did great things later to prove Husker in WI wrong?

Or is it you just pick and choose who you argue with?

And we ARE trying it here.  Remember?  We are taking one of the most athletic HS football players in recent history in the state of Nebraska and making him a Center.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Why aren't you posting names of players that were once walk on tackles at other places that did great things later to prove Husker in WI wrong?

Or is it you just pick and choose who you argue with?

You're the one who was arguing with him about that.  If you're going to argue, why don't you come up with your own evidence to show him that he's wrong?

It took me five seconds on Google to show that your little retort was just trying to be argumentative.  Then instead of admitting that it happens fairly often, now you've resorted to attacking the poster.  Good work.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You're the one who was arguing with him about that.  If you're going to argue, why don't you come up with your own evidence to show him that he's wrong?

It took me five seconds on Google to show that your little retort was just trying to be argumentative.  Then instead of admitting that it happens fairly often, now you've resorted to attacking the poster.  Good work.

HE asked ME when who was the last NEBRAKSA walkon tackle to contribute significantly.  Why would I think about any other college in my question back to him?

You just don't like it when people have an opinion that you don't like and choose to attack that person.  You didn't bother to read the discussion. You just like to try to own people. It's pretty sad that a mod behaves this way.

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

HE asked ME when who was the last NEBRAKSA walkon tackle to contribute significantly.  Why would I think about any other college in my question back to him?

You just don't like it when people have an opinion that you don't like and choose to attack that person.  You didn't bother to read the discussion. You just like to try to own people. It's pretty sad that a mod behaves this way.

Yes, he asked you.  Rather than answer his question, you just shot back one of your own.  You didn't want to have to actually defend your position, just argue with someone who was asking you a question.

I did not attack anyone.  I responded with facts to a question being asked.  The fact that you view that kind of a response as an attack on you says a lot about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

banhammer_forecast.gif

Just now, Mavric said:

Yes, he asked you.  Rather than answer his question, you just shot back one of your own.

I did not attack anyone.  I responded with facts to a question being asked.  The fact that you view that kind of a response as an attack on you says a lot about what you are trying to accomplish.

You offered zero facts about Nebraska.  Which was the discussion.  

And since you're a mod, you get to decide when you are attacking or trolling people and there's nothing that can be done.  

• Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread