Recruiting Tangent Thread

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

So does Frost get a pass or does he get admonished like Riley did with Fant and Bryson Williams?

Remains to be seen but I have a lot more confidence this staff will get a player equally as good or better, than I did with the last.  Which I think was one of the biggest knocks - not only did they miss, they also failed to bring in anyone else.

Edited by RedSavage
  • Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So does Frost get a pass or does he get admonished like Riley did with Fant and Bryson Williams?

I see no reason to purposely condemn a coach that hasn't even coached a game at Nebraska yet.  Now, if we get down the road and Frost hasn't recruited a good QB and Duggan is lighting it up......well.....then we can look back and complain about what happened.

Until then, this post is nothing more than trolling.

• Plus1 5
28 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just said nothing can be done.

My observation is about the hypocrisy.

On 4/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, Mavric said:

I think it's a bit different for QBs.  You pretty much only take one per class so you're really going after the guy(s) you want the most.  At any other position, you can usually afford to take a guy who might be a bit more of a project and still get other guys who are a bit more of a finished project.

I don't know what the deal is with Duggan.  But I don't think it really has much bearing on the overall philosophy.

I'm not one who really put a lot of blame on previous staffs for misses anyway.  People over-play the misses and forget about the ones where passing turned out to be the correct call.

But particularly at QB - where you only get one per class - you have to get it right.  Maybe the personality doesn't quite mesh.  Maybe there are just other guys you like better.  But you absolutely have to get the best guy you like.  Doesn't matter from where.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just said nothing can be done.

My observation is about the hypocrisy.

I don't see anyone expressing hypocrisy yet.  The proof is in the results.  Those other coaches failed ultimately on the field, therefore, it is logical to look back and criticize the steps they took to get to that point...or opportunities they missed.

With the path you are deciding to take this conversation.....do we go back and condemn TO for missing on Jay Novacek?  Jay was a Nebraska kid who wanted to be a Husker and TO didn't even offer him a scholarship.  He goes to Wyoming and has a good career, gets drafted and wins multiple Super bowls as a great Tight End.

Do we condemn TO?  No, because the results on the field ultimately were what mattered.

You can continue to try to troll this conversation......but, that's exactly what it is....

• Plus1 7

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm not one who really put a lot of blame on previous staffs for misses anyway.  People over-play the misses and forget about the ones where passing turned out to be the correct call.

But particularly at QB - where you only get one per class - you have to get it right.  Maybe the personality doesn't quite mesh.  Maybe there are just other guys you like better.  But you absolutely have to get the best guy you like.  Doesn't matter from where.

Exactly. You dont take every kid in the 500 mile radius that is rated somewhat high just because they are in the 500 mile radius. The goal should be to lock up every 500 mile radius kid who fits our scheme, who fits the attitude and personality we want. If they dont fit the scheme or perhaps the culture we want. Or perhaps we have a few kids we feel good about that we would rather have. He is close in proximity so we all assume it is low hanging fruit and we should grab it. 

Frost and his staff do alot of vetting on their kids- its not just about talent. They do digging into what kind of kid they are as well. Talk to coaches, counselors, teachers etc. 

Just saying if we are not pushing hard for him- there is probably a reason.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Frost and his staff do alot of vetting on their kids- its not just about talent. They do digging into what kind of kid they are as well. Talk to coaches, counselors, teachers etc. 

Just saying if we are not pushing hard for him- there is probably a reason.

Frost offered this player at UCF.  He re-offered him at NU.  What does that say about their vetting process?

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Frost offered this player at UCF.  He re-offered him at NU.  What does that say about their vetting process?

Perhaps SF thought Duggan was as high a rated QB as they were going to attract at UCF but here he is looking higher in the tree.  We have 5 QB's right now on the roster, 3 on scholarship and another who will be after next year.  Maybe he thinks Duggan won't be better than at least two now on the roster and if we take a QB it will be a home run.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Perhaps SF thought Duggan was as high a rated QB as they were going to attract at UCF but here he is looking higher in the tree.  We have 5 QB's right now on the roster, 3 on scholarship and another who will be after next year.  Maybe he thinks Duggan won't be better than at least two now on the roster and if we take a QB it will be a home run.

Maybe Nebraska couldn't secure the commitment?  Why does everyone assume it's Nebraska that doesn't want Duggan and not the other way around?

• Plus1 2

• Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread