Recruiting Tangent Thread

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I literally said COMMITMENT from 2013 to CURRENT 2019 cycle.

And I just proved that over the last 6 recruiting cycles they had more upper 3 star compared to lower.

I know what you said but I don't know how '18 and '19 commits have contributed to their already great lines over the years. They will contribute to more in the future, but wisconsin has already put together great lines without those players. Your definition of a upper 3 star is different than mine. I count 4 upper 3 stars and 7 mid to lower 3 star or worse.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I know what you said but I don't know how '18 and '19 commits have contributed to their already great lines over the years. They will contribute to more in the future, but wisconsin has already put together great lines without those players. Your definition of a upper 3 star is different than mine. I count 4 upper 3 stars and 7 mid to lower 3 star or worse.

Upper:  86 and above

Lower:  85 and below

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Lol.  "backup" offer.  

You can't be a prisoner of the moment in recruiting. It is a 2-3 year process (sometimes longer). To get worked up about everyone offer (or lack of offer) will make you act like...ohhh...nevermind. It's like the Max Duggan situation. You can light a fire about it (e.g., "Duggan doesn't want to go to Nebraska" or "Nebraska will not do better if they miss on him"). However, as it is playing out, the staff seemed to cool on Duggan (as did other schools), and now, they are in a good position with a higher rated QB prospect (something some said would be impossible...:thumbs).

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Upper:  86 and above

Lower:  85 and below

Cool. My point remains the same. I don't care if we are offering a dancer from Brazil to come play tackle. This staff has shown they can develop players and they are going off some form of evaluation to extend an offer. We need a different approach along the Oline. We've had talent for years, we have it on the roster now, but that hasn't translated to a single memorable line over the past 15 years. We need to develop the guys we bring in.

9 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

You can't be a prisoner of the moment in recruiting. It is a 2-3 year process (sometimes longer). To get worked up about everyone offer (or lack of offer) will make you act like...ohhh...nevermind. It's like the Max Duggan situation. You can light a fire about it (e.g., "Duggan doesn't want to go to Nebraska" or "Nebraska will not do better if they miss on him"). However, as it is playing out, the staff seemed to cool on Duggan (as did other schools), and now, they are in a good position with a higher rated QB prospect (something some said would be impossible...:thumbs).

No one said it was going to be impossible for them to be in a better position with a higher rated QB if Duggan went elsewhere.  C'mon

Just now, Mavric said:

Is that too hard of a question to answer?  Or you don't want to pin yourself down?

It barely deserves a response.  But I will oblige.  The thing I asked specifics of is when people say things about a player and say stuff like, "He's our third option at this position." Or "We like him at DT instead of DE."  And then I ask how they know this intimate detail.

But, again, you're awfully silent when a poster says things like, "He starts day one" or "He is so underrated."

31 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

No one said it was going to be impossible for them to be in a better position with a higher rated QB if Duggan went elsewhere.  C'mon

Really?! Own your opinions, man. I am not getting paid to research and dig up all of your old posts to prove a point.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I know I didn't say it was impossible. Nice try, though

Whatever, bro. I don't care enough to get into it.

I will definitely agree with you about this offer not being a top prospect (as we both pointed out it is offer #47 not #1). This is not a "Day 1 guy" and will need to be developed; whether that means he is underrated or not, it does not really matter. He might have the frame (I am assuming based on his height) but will need to get into the weight room and on a meal plan before seeing playing time (maybe in his RS So year). That is up to the vision of the coaching staff about how they project guys, something many who want more linemen from Nebraska to be recruited have been saying has been lacking from past staff (e.g., Bryson Williams).

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

But, again, you're awfully silent when a poster says things like, "He starts day one" or "He is so underrated."

Because I'm not the thought police.  People can have their own opinions and I don't feel the need to always shoot them down even if I disagree with them.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Wisconsin is not lining up a bunch of walk ons on their OL.  This is such a fallacy.  From 2013 to the 2019 current cycle, Wisconsin has received commitments from:

(1)5 star 

(2) 4 star rated 94

(4) 3 star rated 88-89

(3) 3 star rated 86-87

(2) 3 star rated below 86

(2) 2 star

That's 14 OT's over the last 6+ cycles.  

Thought it would be interesting to look at OL recruitment under Chip Kelly for perspective (as that may be a better comparison to what Frost will emulate). From 2007 to the 2012 recruiting cycle, Oregon received commitments from:

(0)5 star 

(6) 4 star rated 90-94

(1) 3 star rated 88-89

(3) 3 star rated 86-87

(5) 3 star rated below 86

(1) 2 star

(3) Unrated

That's 19 OL's over 6 cycles.

Just for another reference point, Nebraska from 2013 to 2019 received commitments from:

(0)5 star 

(3) 4 star rated 90-94

(4) 3 star rated 88-89

(5) 3 star rated 86-87

(9) 3 star rated below 86

(0) 2 star

(0) Unrated

That's 21 in 6+ cycles.

• Plus1 3
  • Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread