Recruiting Tangent Thread

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I agree. But I don't think there's anybody arguing that the staff has to start over with their HS or JUCO coach relationships, which is what you appear to arguing against, but maybe somebody will chime in.

This is the other part of it.  Having relationships with the coaches definitely helps and it's great.  

But that's only a small part of it.  You don't just walk up to a four-star recruit and say "Hey, I know your coach" and they commit on the spot.  

I really have no idea why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Yes, you continue to focus on only the part of the story that fits your narrative.

Nothing in there contradicts what I've said.  Now find me the article about Barrett Ruud recruiting in Colorado while he was at UCF.  Or Troy Walters recruiting California.  And on and on.

But you'll just ignore that part so whatever.

I said there were exceptions.  I don't know what else you want.  I even told RedDenver that obviously Ruud was a different case considering he wasn't a FT coach.  And Walters recruited CA before when he was with Colorado.  So, again, I don't know what else to say about it.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is the other part of it.  Having relationships with the coaches definitely helps and it's great.  

But that's only a small part of it.  You don't just walk up to a four-star recruit and say "Hey, I know your coach" and they commit on the spot.  

I really have no idea why this is such a hard concept to grasp.

I think the relationship with the coach is a big part.  Not small.  Because they sort of hold the keys and can help steer the recruiting process.  As evidenced in the article regarding Caleb Tannor.  The HS coach called Beckton to tell him Tannor was going to decommit from Georgia.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I said there were exceptions.  I don't know what else you want.  I even told RedDenver that obviously Ruud was a different case considering he wasn't a FT coach.  And Walters recruited CA before when he was with Colorado.  So, again, I don't know what else to say about it.

Those are not the exceptions.  You keep talking about the exceptions - the guys that are still recruiting where they were before.  You're ignoring all the guys who are recruiting new areas.  And the fact that being familiar with the area/coaches is only the first step in the process.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Those are not the exceptions.  You keep talking about the exceptions - the guys that are still recruiting where they were before.  You're ignoring all the guys who are recruiting new areas.  And the fact that being familiar with the area/coaches is only the first step in the process.

Ruud is the exception because he was never a FT coach.  So obviously he will need to build relationships with HS coaches and recruits.

Greg Austin has been recruiting TX from the start.  Maybe he goes to some new area in TX.  That's an exception.  

Held has been recruiting JUCO's from the start.  Perhaps there is some new territory.  So that would be an exception.

I'm not ignoring anything.  I'm saying that 40% of the offers in 2019 are to an area that 3 coaches have been recruiting for years and this building of relationships might be a bit overblown.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I think the relationship with the coach is a big part.  Not small.  Because they sort of hold the keys and can help steer the recruiting process.  As evidenced in the article regarding Caleb Tannor.  The HS coach called Beckton to tell him Tannor was going to decommit from Georgia.

Again, you point out one instance.  Yes it helps.  We had insider info that Georgia was turning a guy loose and jumped on him.  Are you planning on doing that for every recruit in this class?

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Again, you point out one instance.  Yes it helps.  We had insider info that Georgia was turning a guy loose and jumped on him.  Are you planning on doing that for every recruit in this class?

You think that was one singular instance?  Whatever.  Believe what you want.  I honestly don't care to discuss it further with you.  

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You think that was one singular instance?  Whatever.  Believe what you want.  I honestly don't care to discuss it further with you.  

Yes, that was one instance.  Unless you have more examples.  I'd love to hear them.

It's not surprising you don't want to discuss it.  You want to believe what you want to believe.  You are missing the forest for the trees.  If that's what you want, you're welcome to it.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Yes, that was one instance.  Unless you have more examples.  I'd love to hear them.

It's not surprising you don't want to discuss it.  You want to believe what you want to believe.  You are missing the forest for the trees.  If that's what you want, you're welcome to it.

Did you expect the newspaper to describe every possible scenario in which the coach had a connection with the HS coach?

My point is that many of the Husker coaches have very well established relationships with the high schools and HS coaches with which they are visiting.  And I would be willing to go our on a limb and say that player know who the coaches are already to in those established areas.  There are, AGAIN, exceptions to that where perhaps a coach is recruiting a new territory.  

If you can understand my line of thinking, blink twice.  If not, just move on.  I can't explain it any more clearly than that.

Maybe analogies is the way to explain this. Knowing the coach is like knowing a girls parents.  You might know them and they think you are an alright guy, but ultimately the girl has to like u or it ain't happening.   They are the one u need to impress in the end.  

The fact this thread is 6 pages is amazing too.   Just the best.  

• Plus1 3
  • Mavric changed the title to Recruiting Tangent Thread