Recruiting Tangent Thread

Kind of interesting looking through the old lists and seeing Noah Fant and Jared Bubak right next to each other.  

Two in-state guys in the same class

Both played TE

Both guys the Huskers were after but went elsewhere.

One is a first-round draft pick.

The other hasn't caught a pass in a game since.

You never know what might happen.

• 6 months later...

7 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I couldn't find it in one of the other threads, I thought maybe @Mavric had a breakdown of the roster by class somewhere...but just looking ahead, do we now how big we would expect the 2021 class (next year) to be? How many seniors will we have on the roster this coming season?

Here's what I have

We had 17 seniors this year (kind of 16 since Gaylord will be back for another year).

There are 18 seniors for next year.  So I would think the class will be very similar.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I couldn't find it in one of the other threads, I thought maybe @Mavric had a breakdown of the roster by class somewhere...but just looking ahead, do we now how big we would expect the 2021 class (next year) to be? How many seniors will we have on the roster this coming season?

I believe it'll be 17 seniors, so 20 with the +3.  With attrition, probably similar to this year.

Edit: nevermind, Mav beat me and I didn't have Gaylord on there.

• Plus1 2

Just need to hang onto kids more. Set us back a bit with already coming into a bad situation for Frost. To be fair we had to scramble in December and January his first year to fill the class. 

Mo Washington 

Cam Jones 

Miles Jones 

CJ Smith

Greg Bell

Andre Hunt

Justin McGriff

Katerian Legrone

Dominick Watt

Willie Canty

Desmond Bland

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Just need to hang onto kids more. Set us back a bit with already coming into a bad situation for Frost. To be fair we had to scramble in December and January his first year to fill the class. 

Mo Washington 

Cam Jones 

Miles Jones 

CJ Smith

Greg Bell

Andre Hunt

Justin McGriff

Katerian Legrone

Dominick Watt

Willie Canty

Desmond Bland

We need to hang on to kids only if they are the right fit. Hopefully with longer to evaluate, we won't be missing as much now.

Most years if you add 10 commits in the last week, everyone is freaking out. This year almost all commits are ones they've been after for a long time, minus the JUCO's.

14 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Mo Washington 

Cam Jones 

Miles Jones 

CJ Smith

Greg Bell

Andre Hunt

Justin McGriff

Katerian Legrone

Dominick Watt

Willie Canty

Desmond Bland

Boy Frost’s first class was awful. If he had three straight classes like last years and hopefully this years we would be at 6-7 wins. 

13 minutes ago, Decked said:

Boy Frost’s first class was awful. If he had three straight classes like last years and hopefully this years we would be at 6-7 wins. 

Frost went for big targets without having time to create the relationships and understand kids' motivation in going to play college football.  I think a talent like Mo Washington was worth the risk, but it hurts to miss so badly on the '18 class.  Sam McKewon warned about giving too many scholarships to that first class, because there is so little time to build the relationships with kids in just a few weeks.  I don't think Frost expected for 2 kids to be serial rapists either.  

• 2 years later...

21 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I get it I really do but would you rather have Ives or Barnes who is ranked higher?  Ives to me plays faster. Well in order to succeed for any rb he needs a line regardless.

Right. We went 3 cycles recruiting OL based on how they looked in a door frame. I want to see how this staff can fix that problem 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This is a silly argument. Rhule has time and he's going to need it because this is a rebuild.

And freaking out about the transition recruiting class is also silly. There's going to be a lot of reaches and more than reaches because the staff only has a few weeks to compete against coaches and schools that have been recruiting kids for months or years. There's only so much our coaches can do given less than 3 weeks.

When I say he doesn't have time, I'm not referring to the fans or administration. I'm referring to the realities of the B1G, with the additions of USC/UCLA, and likely difficult schedules that result once divisions are eliminated. 

Rhule is inheriting a roster devoid of talent. He's adding a bunch of reaches to a roster currently stocked full of reaches by the previous staff:

Haarberg, Torres, Hardy, Androff, Carrie, Rollins, Hickman, Lynn, Malcolm, Snodgrass, Lynum, Johnson, Gates, Bretz and Williams - are all players that have been buried on the depth chart and/or passed by walk-ons at their various positions (inculding all 6 scholarship TEs). This does not include players like Fidone who have extensive injury histories that may never contribute or starting players like Benhart and Corcoran who might be the worst players at their positions in the country. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
19 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

When I say he doesn't have time, I'm not referring to the fans or administration. I'm referring to the realities of the B1G, with the additions of USC/UCLA, and likely difficult schedules that result once divisions are eliminated. 

Rhule is inheriting a roster devoid of talent. He's adding a bunch of reaches to a roster currently stocked full of reaches by the previous staff:

Haarberg, Torres, Hardy, Androff, Carrie, Rollins, Hickman, Lynn, Malcolm, Snodgrass, Lynum, Johnson, Gates, Bretz and Williams - are all players that have been buried on the depth chart and/or passed by walk-ons at their various positions (inculding all 6 scholarship TEs). This does not include players like Fidone who have extensive injury histories that may never contribute or starting players like Benhart and Corcoran who might be the worst players at their positions in the country. 

But just bc they were reaches for the previous staff doesn't mean that this staff can't or won't develop or bring out the best in those players that you mentioned.  You got to have a wait and see approach to it bc you and I don't know how these coaches are.  There track record does say they can develop so just got to find out that's all.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

That has literally no effect on the time Rhule has to rebuild. The realities are that it's going to take some amount of time to rebuild regardless of the conference divisions.

• Plus1 1