Mavric

RB/WR Miles Jones [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Miles Jones

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, Florida

School: American Heritage

Position: Athlete, Wide Receiver

Height: 5-8

Weight: 163

40 Time: 4.62

Offers: Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Navy, Nebraska, Oregon State, Syracuse, Toledo, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Visits

Twitter

247 Composite: #614 Overall; #49 ATH; .8708; :star:star:star

Rivals: #17 ATH; :star:star:star:star 
247: #77 ATH; :star:star:star 
ESPN: #87 ATH; :star:star:star 

Hudl

Edited by seaofred92

If the 4.62 time is accurate he won't be getting separation although he may be able to cut to a seam to get open.  One thing we had problems with this year was 2 of our three main receivers weren't especially fast or tall so Stanley M was used the most on deep routes

32 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

If the 4.62 time is accurate he won't be getting separation although he may be able to cut to a seam to get open.  One thing we had problems with this year was 2 of our three main receivers weren't especially fast or tall so Stanley M was used the most on deep routes

I'm assuming Spielman is the one you are thinking that was successful with this. Tyjon should be able to fill a role like that a bit better in an offense like this too. 

5 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

With some of the guys who fit multiple positions, how many receivers are we going to look to take? This would be a good addition.

4 at least, in my opinion.

Only have 5 scholly guys on the roster if I am remembering correctly. 

Not going to be picky about Frost's first class. He's off to a great start. I would like to see us get some size at WR in future classes. Right now, this class seems to have a lot of WR/TE tweeners that I assume will wind up at TE. Maybe McGriff sticks at TE.  Woodyard seems like the only surefire WR in the class right now, and he's a burner.

We don't have a ton of size right now, especially if Morgan leaves. It would be great to get a big possession guy or two that can be a chain mover if needed. 

That said, size in general is somewhat overrated in college. I'll take a slighter guy that can make plays over a guy with all the measurables who isn't as good of a WR. I remember Bo's first class he wound up taking the Osborne twins who had good size but never really did much. 

Jones' offer list is pretty good. If Georgia, WV & Wiscy want him he must be a pretty dang good prospect. 

Edited by dudeguyy

Is it possible some of these guys will go WR as true freshman for depth and then get bulked up to become TE's for the last couple years when we have had a chance to get the WR #'s more in tune.

I know this is a little off topic when in a thread about a small guy that will be here to use his speed!!!

Edited by GBRFAN

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like we're working hard here.  Recruiting him at both RB and WR.

Does this represent the same player type that Henry would be?

4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Despite commiting to Vandy it looks like he may be visiting this weekend

He's been committed to Vandy since March and very interested since we offered. He's been on flip watch ever since.

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

CB from Schaefer for N.  This kid plays as a fresh and would be a big-time contributer in frost scheme.

Probably all over in different spots. It's guys like this that'll make the whole team makeover quicker and slightly more painless. Frost won't have a lot of his own guys, but the ones he has brought in can play a multitude of roles.

Nebraska team overhaul is going well.

• Plus1 1

Liked the visit. Said the city was much bigger and nicer than he thought it would be. Coaches will be in home Thursday and then he will make his final decision shortly after that. 

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, SUHperman said:

Liked the visit. Said the city was much bigger and nicer than he thought it would be. Coaches will be in home Thursday and then he will make his final decision shortly after that. 

Just to add to it, Vandy will be in home too. Obviously down to us and them.

• Plus1 1

Don't want to lose the fact that he's from American Heritage... which if you want to get good relationships with any single HS in America, it's hard to do much better. 

5 four *s and a five star this year. 

• Plus1 5

On 12/14/2017 at 0:40 PM, TonyStalloni said:

4.62 won’t get open? 

Can’t we call him something other than WR?

FrostBack?

FrostedRetriever?

I feel like we need a sweet new name for the position some of these guys will play?

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

Can’t we call him something other than WR?

FrostBack?

FrostedRetriever?

I feel like we need a sweet new name for the position some of these guys will play?

Wing Back

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

4.62 won’t get open? 

Against Ark St, Illinois and maybe Minn it probably will.  4.62 is fast to the average person on the street but to DB's at Ohio St, Mich, Penn St and a few other schools plus most bowl teams we will play in the future, 4.62 is average speed.  Quickness and route skills get you separation on short routes but for down the field throws and at only 5'8" those aren't the measurable that get you success vs the elite teams.  I'm not saying he can't be an effective receiver because Spielman does very well.  I saw he and Tyjon Lyndsey get covered up too many times this past year.  Some of it may have been the routes they were asked to run.  To me a 6'2" corner with 4.5 speed and good cover skills trumps a 5'8" receiver with 4.62 speed most of the time.

3 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Against Ark St, Illinois and maybe Minn it probably will.  4.62 is fast to the average person on the street but to DB's at Ohio St, Mich, Penn St and a few other schools plus most bowl teams we will play in the future, 4.62 is average speed.  Quickness and route skills get you separation on short routes but for down the field throws and at only 5'8" those aren't the measurable that get you success vs the elite teams.  I'm not saying he can't be an effective receiver because Spielman does very well.  I saw he and Tyjon Lyndsey get covered up too many times this past year.  Some of it may have been the routes they were asked to run.  To me a 6'2" corner with 4.5 speed and good cover skills trumps a 5'8" receiver with 4.62 speed most of the time.

Manziel ran a 4.6. I think he got away from a few people. 

Look, we can pick and choose 40 times all day. Mr. Average-Guy-On-The-Street, 40 times have consistently proven to be decent indicators of athletic ability with poor (at best) correlation to on-field performance. Tape and ultimately his career determine if he's "fast enough". 

13 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

From the All-American combine testing a couple weeks ago:

• Plus1 4

Cerritos College holds high school camps multiple times a year. Within every camp, there is usually one guy who is at the 4.4 range. Most skill guys run 4.6-4.8. Miles is very fast and smooth. He would run away from OSU dbs no problem. None of this is an exact science and there are so many factors that play into breakaway ability. Taylor Martinez is the example of someone who's forty time is irrelevant in certain scenarios. He probably ran a 4.3 perfectly healed. But his hips were so bad that he couldn't do much unless there was a gaping hole. I would take a fluid 4.62 over a 4.3 runner with a ton of wasted movement. 

Nate Clouse and I speak every year about who we think will make an instant impact out of all the recruits (sounds snooty I know). JUCO's aside, if Miles signs with us, it will be him. He plays an exact role/position at his high school that Frost also has in his offense. His competition is second to none and his ability is tremendous. Vandy almost snagged a really good player. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Plus1 1

6 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Most overrated measurement in football.

If he was running fly patterns constantly or  competing at the Devaney complex this might be helpful.

You need a burst and the ability to run routes.  Can you sell a double move?  Can you get off the line of scrimmage?  Can you read coverages?

• Plus1 1