RB/WR Miles Jones [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Jones Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Vanderbilt
    • Georgia

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/2018 at 06:18 PM

3 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Against Ark St, Illinois and maybe Minn it probably will.  4.62 is fast to the average person on the street but to DB's at Ohio St, Mich, Penn St and a few other schools plus most bowl teams we will play in the future, 4.62 is average speed.  Quickness and route skills get you separation on short routes but for down the field throws and at only 5'8" those aren't the measurable that get you success vs the elite teams.  I'm not saying he can't be an effective receiver because Spielman does very well.  I saw he and Tyjon Lyndsey get covered up too many times this past year.  Some of it may have been the routes they were asked to run.  To me a 6'2" corner with 4.5 speed and good cover skills trumps a 5'8" receiver with 4.62 speed most of the time.

Manziel ran a 4.6. I think he got away from a few people. 

Look, we can pick and choose 40 times all day. Mr. Average-Guy-On-The-Street, 40 times have consistently proven to be decent indicators of athletic ability with poor (at best) correlation to on-field performance. Tape and ultimately his career determine if he's "fast enough". 

13 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Against Ark St, Illinois and maybe Minn it probably will.  4.62 is fast to the average person on the street but to DB's at Ohio St, Mich, Penn St and a few other schools plus most bowl teams we will play in the future, 4.62 is average speed.  Quickness and route skills get you separation on short routes but for down the field throws and at only 5'8" those aren't the measurable that get you success vs the elite teams.  I'm not saying he can't be an effective receiver because Spielman does very well.  I saw he and Tyjon Lyndsey get covered up too many times this past year.  Some of it may have been the routes they were asked to run.  To me a 6'2" corner with 4.5 speed and good cover skills trumps a 5'8" receiver with 4.62 speed most of the time.

From the All-American combine testing a couple weeks ago:

• Plus1 4

Cerritos College holds high school camps multiple times a year. Within every camp, there is usually one guy who is at the 4.4 range. Most skill guys run 4.6-4.8. Miles is very fast and smooth. He would run away from OSU dbs no problem. None of this is an exact science and there are so many factors that play into breakaway ability. Taylor Martinez is the example of someone who's forty time is irrelevant in certain scenarios. He probably ran a 4.3 perfectly healed. But his hips were so bad that he couldn't do much unless there was a gaping hole. I would take a fluid 4.62 over a 4.3 runner with a ton of wasted movement. 

Nate Clouse and I speak every year about who we think will make an instant impact out of all the recruits (sounds snooty I know). JUCO's aside, if Miles signs with us, it will be him. He plays an exact role/position at his high school that Frost also has in his offense. His competition is second to none and his ability is tremendous. Vandy almost snagged a really good player. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Most overrated measurement in football.

If he was running fly patterns constantly or  competing at the Devaney complex this might be helpful.

You need a burst and the ability to run routes.  Can you sell a double move?  Can you get off the line of scrimmage?  Can you read coverages?

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Cerritos College holds high school camps multiple times a year. Within every camp, there is usually one guy who is at the 4.4 range. Most skill guys run 4.6-4.8. Miles is very fast and smooth. He would run away from OSU dbs no problem. None of this is an exact science and there are so many factors that play into breakaway ability. Taylor Martinez is the example of someone who's forty time is irrelevant in certain scenarios. He probably ran a 4.3 perfectly healed. But his hips were so bad that he couldn't do much unless there was a gaping hole. I would take a fluid 4.62 over a 4.3 runner with a ton of wasted movement. 

Nate Clouse and I speak every year about who we think will make an instant impact out of all the recruits (sounds snooty I know). JUCO's aside, if Miles signs with us, it will be him. He plays an exact role/position at his high school that Frost also has in his offense. His competition is second to none and his ability is tremendous. Vandy almost snagged a really good player. 

Agreed.

PS Are we will on for Lazlo's on February 8th at Noon?

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

If he was running fly patterns constantly or  competing at the Devaney complex this might be helpful.

You need a burst and the ability to run routes.  Can you sell a double move?  Can you get off the line of scrimmage?  Can you read coverages?

Don't think it is all that overrated.  It is just very inaccurate at the HS level and the difference in 2 or 3 tenths of seconds is huge.  It is also not a great measurement for all positions (OL, DT, ILB, PPQB).  But for skill positions you need players that can run.  Won't find 4.8 wr in D1 unless they are 6'6 or taller.  

M. JONES is plenty fast enough to be an instant factor at the college level.  

Worried about getting separation from the OSU db.  Well the wr on Sunday are having trouble doing that.  Frost scheme found ways to get guys like Jones open against auburn and hopefully he can do similar things against ol urb 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Don't think it is all that overrated.  It is just very inaccurate at the HS level and the difference in 2 or 3 tenths of seconds is huge.  It is also not a great measurement for all positions (OL, DT, ILB, PPQB).  But for skill positions you need players that can run.  Won't find 4.8 wr in D1 unless they are 6'6 or taller.  

Worried about getting separation from the OSU db.  Well the wr on Sunday are having trouble doing that.  Frost scheme found ways to get guys like Jones open against auburn and hopefully he can do similar things against ol urb 

You hit on a very good point, as does Mav with his posting of the prior tweet. A lot of inaccuracies and misreporting occurs at the high school level on 40 times. The 40 time still has value but needs to be cross-referenced with tape. Miles tape against strong competition should tell ya a few things. 

19 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

You hit on a very good point, as does Mav with his posting of the prior tweet. A lot of inaccuracies and misreporting occurs at the high school level on 40 times. The 40 time still has value but needs to be cross-referenced with tape. Miles tape against strong competition should tell ya a few things. 

Yes. Didnt Roy Helu run like a 4.8 in high school? He did plenty fine at Nebraska and went on to NFL. 

2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I agree with you , but I would add that I think a persons 20 yard dash is more important than a person 40 yard dash.  

46 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Didn't Westerkamp run something like a 4.8 at his pro day which comes after months of training specifically for that drill?

16 minutes ago, FaithfulHusker said:

I agree with you , but I would add that I think a persons 20 yard dash is more important than a person 40 yard dash.  

There are really two different things to look at.  Your 10, and to an extent your 40, are what get you off the line of scrimmage.  Seperation happens because an athlete is able to sustain acceleration longer than who they are running against.  Once an athlete hit's their top speed (which if I remember correctly is 40-50 meters), they immediately begin to fall off.  Athletes like Usain Bolt would likely have a good 40 YD but what makes them elite is how long they can continue their acceleration before plateau/fall off.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to RB/WR Miles Jones [Nebraska Commit]