RB/WR Miles Jones [Nebraska- Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

38 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Jones Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Vanderbilt
    • Georgia

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/2018 at 06:18 PM

I don't put a lot of stock into 40 times.  I had an athlete who was a State Track kid (100-200) place winner, All-State RB, extremely quick and elusive...couldn't cover him.  Played college ball as split and kick returner.... When he was a senior in HS, he was clocked at a camp at 4.9.  I was shocked it was that "slow".  Still was the stud of camp.

If you have quick feet and good hips, you can get open if you are a WR or slot.  May not run by guys vertically a lot, but that is coaching to put you in the correct routes.

3 minutes ago, HANC said:

I don't put a lot of stock into 40 times.  I had an athlete who was a State Track kid (100-200) place winner, All-State RB, extremely quick and elusive...couldn't cover him.  Played college ball as split and kick returner.... When he was a senior in HS, he was clocked at a camp at 4.9.  I was shocked it was that "slow".  Still was the stud of camp.

If you have quick feet and good hips, you can get open if you are a WR or slot.  May not run by guys vertically a lot, but that is coaching to put you in the correct routes.

Yes, if the kids have not been trained on how to run a laser timed 40 they can appear much slower. If they lift their hand off the line before they push off it could cost them big time.

I have it on good authority that no player EVER came to the University of Nebraska as a freshman and improved their 40 time in 4-5 years with their state of the art strength and conditioning program.  NONE!  So if you run a 4.62 at 17-18 years old, you will suck and not be fast your entire collegiate career.  Might as well go play intramurals, brother.

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Reported 40 times are like most peoples resumes...not super accurate.

1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

As a licensed stats engineer for NASA(Its on my resume), I can say without a doubt the above is incorrect.

Are you guys saying I shouldn't be putting my 40 time on my resume?

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Against Ark St, Illinois and maybe Minn it probably will.  4.62 is fast to the average person on the street but to DB's at Ohio St, Mich, Penn St and a few other schools plus most bowl teams we will play in the future, 4.62 is average speed.  Quickness and route skills get you separation on short routes but for down the field throws and at only 5'8" those aren't the measurable that get you success vs the elite teams.  I'm not saying he can't be an effective receiver because Spielman does very well.  I saw he and Tyjon Lyndsey get covered up too many times this past year.  Some of it may have been the routes they were asked to run.  To me a 6'2" corner with 4.5 speed and good cover skills trumps a 5'8" receiver with 4.62 speed most of the time.

Is it handheld, or electronically timed? 

• Mavric changed the title to RB/WR Miles Jones [Nebraska Commit]