Weird Time for Christians

35 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I'm sure he's read some of it and just doesn't care.  That's what just about Christians have to do with the Bible.  While I don't think Trump really is a Christian...he fits that mold along with them.

Nah, he's only cracked the cover to sign his autograph to it.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

19 hours ago, knapplc said:

My son's kids just read through the series.  They are all committed Christians.  I didn't notice any evil spirits flying around when we skyped with them this weekend much less anyone on brooms!     Back in the 1980s our kids read Frank Preretti's novel This Present Darkness.  It was all the rage back then in the evangelical community -  of course it was a Christian novel written by a Christian author showing the battle between the forces of hell and the forces of heaven.  But it had all of the 'fearful stuff' if not more than  the Harry Potter books have.  Just looking at it from a different perspective.    People overreact instead of discussing.  Fantasy is fantasy - what isn't fantasy is the negativity  we think about and especially the negative self talk we create on our own in our own mind.  That is much harder to stop and to exorcise than anything a book like Harry Potter could possibly create.   

• Plus1 2

Went to Church this weekend, this week's sermon was about immigration and the Church's stance on it.   The Pastor wanted to make sure it wasn't a political talk, and didn't want to sway anyone's opinions, but then led with this:

Leviticus 19:33-34 New International Version (NIV)

33 “‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. 34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+19%3A33-34&version=NIV

Followed by 20 minutes sermon on how we need to do a better job with our treatment of immigrants and even if we 'stand' with the government, there are ways we can help and be involved.   With so many Christians who are also supporting this administration's hard line stance, I wish I could talk to them with this quote and have them justify their beliefs.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, sho said:

Went to Church this weekend, this week's sermon was about immigration and the Church's stance on it.   The Pastor wanted to make sure it wasn't a political talk, and didn't want to sway anyone's opinions, but then led with this:

Followed by 20 minutes sermon on how we need to do a better job with our treatment of immigrants and even if we 'stand' with the government, there are ways we can help and be involved.   With so many Christians who are also supporting this administration's hard line stance, I wish I could talk to them with this quote and have them justify their beliefs.

Sounds like you belong to a good man's church.

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Oh no, it's a yes.  Taking into account that many churches involve themselves in pro life and gay marriage issues and are encouraged nationwide to go the polls to vote accordingly.  It's not a small movement...it's a major one across multiple denominations.

If Christianity stopped peddling the above and just let it go (especially considering it doesn't impact members of the religion at all)...I'd definitely agree with with you guys that politics aren't pushed in religion.

No.

There are one hell of a lot of churches where the minister/priest does not stand up and tell the congregation they must go to the polls and vote for a Republican because they are pro life or anti gay marriage.  

Now, what you see in the news is some very vocal "Christians" talking about that and that's why you think that.  

4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Oh well if one minister of one church doesn't do it...it surely just disproved everything I said above.  All sarcasm aside, I was using statistics that say 64% of America is either Catholic or Evangelical...and I know both of these encourage their membership to be pro-life and vote accordingly.

No.

I'm Catholic and I've gone to a lot of various Catholic churches around Nebraska and other cities.  I can't remember the last time a Priest talked about how I should vote.

I've been to many services where the bishop is speaking and I don't ever remember him talking about it either.  

And...even if every single one of those 64% of churches DID talk about it....your statistic would still be wrong.

17 hours ago, sho said:

BINGO - I was thinking of that verse this past weekend.  I couldn't remember where it was found.  So thanks for sharing. The way I look at it, we as Christians belong to a different kingdom with different kingdom principles with the primary being Love God, Love neighbor as self.  We don't get the opportunity to define "Neighbor" - Jesus did in the parable of the Good Samaritan - it is everyone.  If we truly belong to a different kingdom, then we shouldn't be defined by political dogma or the views of one president or another.  Let your light so shine ... shine it by helping the 'least of these' which includes the stranger and foreigner who shows up in 'our neighborhood'.