Weird Time for Christians

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Actually, they're not.  According to the Bible, they are following the command at Hebrews 10:25 and they are applying the logic found at Acts 5:26-32 where the apostles were told not to teach and gather in the temples.

They evidently think of themselves like the apostles here.

It's intersting how you can use the Bible to twist, warp, and justify anything you want.  And the sad part is...what they are doing is perfectly logical if you use the Bible as guide...and there is no difference between what they are applying here than anyone else who uses biblical application to justify a view or behavior.

I see your point wt the post but when there is an apparent conflict we solve it by the higher rule of love - which is the highest rule we are encouraged to be guided by in my opinion.  Is it loving to be holding services in which others can be harmed by the gathering? NO.  While the apostles  obeyed the higher command of spreading the gospel they didn't do so in a way that would harm others. They did, however,  have to count the personal cost of doing so - martyrdom.  All but John was martyred.  When the govt is civil we are admonished to do all we can to accommodate the civil authorities in ways in which we can still carry out the mission of the church.  In my opinion the individuals & churches who are still holding services in spite of the ban, have lost their witness to the community & their right to speak to the community.  I see it more as a 'pride' thing - the chief of sins. They think they are being spiritual when in fact the exact opposite is occurring. 

Now when governments become oppressive or when they allow injustices to flourish, then Christians like non-Christians have the right to protest in civil disobedience.  MLK is a prime example.  The founding of our nation is another example. Many of the leaders were Christians - many pastors spoke from the pulpits to denounce the injustices of English law & the suppression of rights of individuals. Churches that worked to free slaves from the South is another. etc, etc. Churches today that assist 'illegals' in this country might be another example.  Sometimes the higher law of love tells us to sacrifice ourselves (chance of imprisonment or worse) for the sake of others. 

There is a time and place for obeying a higher law and disobeying civil law.  But the costs must be counted as the apostles did.  This isn't the place or time. 

4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Actually, they kind of did...being a Christian then was inviting persecution and possible stoning.

again that goes back to counting the cost of become a Christian. The same is true in many lands today. Christians in many radical Muslim countries are tortured and killed today for their choice to believe.

(Check out Voice of the Martyrs for examples   https://www.persecution.com/ )

In the same way, it wasn't trump's right to gamble that this would all just disappear in 14 days, neither is it the right of any group to gather and potentially infect others (general public) when those others haven't been given the chance to choose.   I think we are in agreement there.

7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

And, nothing is too great for God right?  They probably believe that he will keep them safe via Holy Spirit when they do. 

Here we run into the issue of testing God.  It is presumption.  We pray for protection but some of that comes back to us praying for wisdom to do the right thing.  

Kind of like one of the temptations of Jesus in the desert from Matt 4

9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. 10 For it is written: “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; 11 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’ ” 12 Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

12 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Believing nothing is too great for God and willingly putting your own faith in God (like with the example of the fools we're talking about) is not testing him.  If it was, no one would have any faith at all...because that would be testing God.  I think these people believe they have faith in God and I think these people actually have more faith in him than most Christians.

I understand your point.

This reminds me of the old story of the elderly lady who lived alone.  One day it started raining.  The river started rising and overflowing the banks.  Soon, it was to her door.  First responders come with a small boat.  She says, "No God will save me".  The waters keep rising.  The next day they come with a bigger boat.  Again, she says, "No, God will save me".  By the next day, the water is so high she is sitting on her roof.  A helicopter comes by and again, "No, God will save me".  Well, the water kept rising...finally swept her away and she drowned.  When she was at the pearly gates and finally met God, she asks....why didn't you save me?  He said, I tried....I sent you two boats and a helicopter.

I know it's an old joke, but these people are being idiots.  God created the earth and he gave the experts the ability to learn how to deal with these situations and give advice on how to deal with them.  If you ignore them, you're ignoring what God provided to you to help you.

Idiots.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This reminds me of the old story of the elderly lady who lived alone.  One day it started raining.  The river started rising and overflowing the banks.  Soon, it was to her door.  First responders come with a small boat.  She says, "No God will save me".  The waters keep rising.  The next day they come with a bigger boat.  Again, she says, "No, God will save me".  By the next day, the water is so high she is sitting on her roof.  A helicopter comes by and again, "No, God will save me".  Well, the water kept rising...finally swept her away and she drowned.  When she was at the pearly gates and finally met God, she asks....why didn't you save me?  He said, I tried....I sent you two boats and a helicopter.

I know it's an old joke, but these people are being idiots.  God created the earth and he gave the experts the ability to learn how to deal with these situations and give advice on how to deal with them.  If you ignore them, you're ignoring what God provided to you to help you.

Idiots.

I love that story, I use it a lot.

I also like the saying "be the answer to someones prayer."  It means that prayers only work if "people" make them work.  "Thoughts and prayers" are only good if we allow people to get involved.  And what religion you follow doesn't matter.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Idiots.

Good story and very applicable.   Some people tend to 'spiritualize' everything.  St Paul mentions in Romans 12 all of the motivational gifts given by the Spirit of God.  These aren't reserved for Christians they are for everyone - administration, mercy, helps, encouragement etc.  We have doctors, scientists, truck drivers, nurses, govt officials, pastors, etc - all having gifts to help us through this crisis and every other situation in life.  Yet some people think they are special and want a 'divine intervention' - a chariot of fire to rescue them.  :facepalm:

They may regret this later. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/3/florida-county-declares-churches-essential-service/

A Florida county has aided a pastor who held worship in defiance of “safer-at-home” rules by declaring religious services to be “essential services” during the coronavirus pandemic.

On Thursday, facing potential legal action, a 6-4 majority of the Hillsborough County Council voted to recognize “religious services” as part of a list of “essential activies” allowable during the pandemic-related shuttering of businesses and meetings of large groups.

A Tampa pastor was arrested this week under the county’s law banning religious gatherings, including church services.

13 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Good news guys! The virus is gone forever. This is all it took!

Copeland is on Trump's advisory team.  No wonder he has said some wacky things (ok wackier than normal for him) - such as: the virus will disappear like a miracle.

For you non-Christians out there - this isn't Christianity.  The Name it Claim it cult of prosperity gospel preachers are on the nut edge fringe. 

• Plus1 1

On 4/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, TGHusker said:

For you non-Christians out there - this isn't Christianity.  The Name it Claim it cult of prosperity gospel preachers are on the nut edge fringe. 

His antics are cringey, but there's tens of millions of Americans who believe in faith healing.  I'd stop well short of saying he's promoting some fringe idea.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-divinehealing-life/a-third-of-americans-report-divine-healing-pew-idUSN2042499020080623

"A third of all Americans (34 percent) say they have experienced or witnessed a divine healing of an illness or injury," the survey said.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

His antics are cringey, but there's tens of millions of Americans who believe in faith healing.  I'd stop well short of saying he's promoting some fringe idea.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-divinehealing-life/a-third-of-americans-report-divine-healing-pew-idUSN2042499020080623

"A third of all Americans (34 percent) say they have experienced or witnessed a divine healing of an illness or injury," the survey said.

I didn't say those that believe in faith healing or faith in general aren't reflecting Christianity.  Prayers for healing transcends all denominations.  But the name it claim it, prosperity gospel, Word of Faith wing is on the fringe. 

46 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't say those that believe in faith healing or faith in general aren't reflecting Christianity.  Prayers for healing transcends all denominations.  But the name it claim it, prosperity gospel, Word of Faith wing is on the fringe. 

How does one acquire three quarters of a billion dollars on the fringe? 

I could see how one would acquire that kind of wealth preaching mainstream ideas to the mainstream.