Weird Time for Christians

2 minutes ago, jaws said:

No I don't have any statistics, but it isn't like most evangelicals care about people in prison, prisons or prison reform. Maybe it is more anecdotal on my end. That same thing can be said about your statement about Christians that believe in the death penalty. 

Not really...

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/news/public-opinion-support-for-death-penalty-low-among-christians-particularly-younger-members

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, I can honestly not think of one staunch Republican that openly supported police reform to stop the killing of black people by police.

IMO one of the biggest issues for many Republicans goes back to their often strict views on personal responsibility. It works when and if all things are equal, but when they're unequal, it becomes difficult for them to reconcile. I was very much like that 15 years ago. I probably would've been an "all lives matter" type person if BLM had been a big thing back then like it is now. I've been fortunate enough to travel a lot, experience a lot, and meet a lot of new people since then, and many of my views have somersaulted as a result.

I know a lot of modern day evangelical Republicans who are the 'all lives matter' type folks. But I ask them, if Jesus came to them and said "blessed are the poor," would they say "no, Jesus, blessed are all people"? That wasn't the point Jesus was making, just like that's not the point black people are making now.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO one of the biggest issues for many Republicans goes back to their often strict views on personal responsibility. It works when and if all things are equal, but when they're unequal, it becomes difficult for them to reconcile. I was very much like that 15 years ago. I probably would've been an "all lives matter" type person if BLM had been a big thing back then like it is now. I've been fortunate enough to travel a lot, experience a lot, and meet a lot of new people since then, and many of my views have somersaulted as a result.

I know a lot of modern day evangelical Republicans who are the 'all lives matter' type folks. But I ask them, if Jesus came to them and said "blessed are the poor," would they say "no, Jesus, blessed are all people"? That wasn't the point Jesus was making, just like that's not the point black people are making now.

Yep.

• Haha 1

When you mix religion and politics for the sake of gaining access and power, nothing good will come of it.  People of faith like all people have a voice in the market place of governance however, people of faith should not have blind loyalty to a party or a person.  In the case of Trump, too many so called prophets sold out for Trump and became a part of a cult like following - mixing politics, Q'anon, and politics into one toxic stew.   Some of these 'prophets' are now repenting and apologizing while others are still entangled in their own lies and pride and the ropes of the cult. 

Interesting, insightful article on the subject:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/02/18/how-christian-prophets-give-credence-to-trumps-election-fantasies-469598

• Plus1 2

To very well done podcasts from NPR regarding how the evangelical faith got tied to the GOP first and specifically how they fell into the Trump camp and believed the election fraud lies

13 minutes  - about the current election fraud beliefs by so many

1 hour - this goes into the long history of Evangelical thought - the big picture - how it started in the 1800s and why it eventually got tied to the GOP starting in the late 1970s
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I'm having a hard time picturing Jesus joining in with the insurrection at the Capitol and chanting "hang Mike Pence!!"

But maybe I skipped church the day they went over that catechism.

I know right?

My interpretation of Jesus is that he would be disgusted with churches trying to play a role in government.  I picture him slapping these dopes upside the head and screaming "Who gives a s#!t who the President is!  That's not the point of any of this!"

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

What.

Missouri pastor slammed for telling wives to 'lose weight,' 'look less butch' to keep husbands

The original video was deleted from the church’s website, but a woman who was watching the sermon that day managed to post the video to Facebook, where it has caused widespread anger and gained thousands of comments.

Clark continued to ask why women “let themselves go after marriage” and reiterated that men only marry for good looks and sex.

“Men have a need for their women to look like women. Sweatpants don’t cut it all the time. Wearing flip flops and pajamas to Walmart – that ain’t going to work. Ain’t nothing attractive about that. It’ ain’t,” Clark said in his sermon. “And men want their wives to look good at home and in public, can I get an Amen!”

Clark also claimed this topic is “so important” that a friend of his has put a weight limit on his wife before he would divorce her.

“Ladies, it’s the way God made us. It’s the way we are. Men are going to look. He made us to look. You want them to be looking at you. Don’t let yourself go,” Clark said in his sermon.

Clark also used former First Lady Melania Trump as an example of what women should strive to look like, although he acknowledged that “not everybody looks like that.”

“Now look, I’m not saying every woman can be the epic, epic trophy wife of all time like Melania Trump. I’m not saying that at all. Most women can’t be trophy wives, but you know ... maybe you’re a participation trophy,” Clark said as a photo of Melania Trump appeared on the screen. “I don’t know, but all I can say is not everybody looks like that. Amen! Not everybody looks like that. But you don’t need to look like a butch either.”

The church released a statement Monday saying Clark’s sermon was “not consistent with the positions and values” of the church.

40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What.

Missouri pastor slammed for telling wives to 'lose weight,' 'look less butch' to keep husbands

The original video was deleted from the church’s website, but a woman who was watching the sermon that day managed to post the video to Facebook, where it has caused widespread anger and gained thousands of comments.

Clark continued to ask why women “let themselves go after marriage” and reiterated that men only marry for good looks and sex.

“Men have a need for their women to look like women. Sweatpants don’t cut it all the time. Wearing flip flops and pajamas to Walmart – that ain’t going to work. Ain’t nothing attractive about that. It’ ain’t,” Clark said in his sermon. “And men want their wives to look good at home and in public, can I get an Amen!”

Clark also claimed this topic is “so important” that a friend of his has put a weight limit on his wife before he would divorce her.

“Ladies, it’s the way God made us. It’s the way we are. Men are going to look. He made us to look. You want them to be looking at you. Don’t let yourself go,” Clark said in his sermon.

Clark also used former First Lady Melania Trump as an example of what women should strive to look like, although he acknowledged that “not everybody looks like that.”

“Now look, I’m not saying every woman can be the epic, epic trophy wife of all time like Melania Trump. I’m not saying that at all. Most women can’t be trophy wives, but you know ... maybe you’re a participation trophy,” Clark said as a photo of Melania Trump appeared on the screen. “I don’t know, but all I can say is not everybody looks like that. Amen! Not everybody looks like that. But you don’t need to look like a butch either.”

The church released a statement Monday saying Clark’s sermon was “not consistent with the positions and values” of the church.

One word: IDIOT.    

Guys like that shouldn't be anywhere near the pulpit but on the other side of the altar on their knees asking for forgiveness. 

Oh, let me add  $10 he has a MAGA hat on the back shelf behind his desk or displayed in his truck window.

And this guy says women need to lose weight or they will be responsible for their husbands making the rounds else where

I wonder if he has looked in the mirror recently. 

60429fc105937.image.jpg?resize=750,416

• Plus1 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a bunch of dumb mother f**kers:

Alabama upholds a ban on yoga in school citing fears of the practice spreading Hinduism

At issue is whether the practice of yoga promotes Hinduism - a claim several conservative Christian groups say is a problem.

"If this bill passes, then instructors will be able to come into classrooms as young as kindergarten and bring these children through guided imagery, which is a spiritual exercise, and it's outside their parents' view. And we just believe that this is not appropriate," Betsy Garrison of the Eagle Forum of Alabama, argued in session.

Gray's proposal still included language seeking to address that. It said that "chanting, mantras, mudras, use of mandalas, and 11 namaste greetings shall be expressly prohibited."

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Ulty said:

What a bunch of dumb mother f**kers:

Alabama upholds a ban on yoga in school citing fears of the practice spreading Hinduism

At issue is whether the practice of yoga promotes Hinduism - a claim several conservative Christian groups say is a problem.

"If this bill passes, then instructors will be able to come into classrooms as young as kindergarten and bring these children through guided imagery, which is a spiritual exercise, and it's outside their parents' view. And we just believe that this is not appropriate," Betsy Garrison of the Eagle Forum of Alabama, argued in session.

Gray's proposal still included language seeking to address that. It said that "chanting, mantras, mudras, use of mandalas, and 11 namaste greetings shall be expressly prohibited."

I'm sure they're equally appalled at "under god" in the Pledge of Allegiance.