Weird Time for Christians

Interesting article on the 'secularization' of America and the generational changes and other changes leading to a decline in religious affiliation.   

https://www.axios.com/americans-less-religious-gallup-poll-3a7fa738-a431-45a9-8185-44267c49d19d.html

New surveys show Americans' membership in communities of worship has declined sharply in recent years, with less than 50% of the country belonging to a church, synagogue or mosque.

Why it matters: The accelerating trend towards a more secular America represents a fundamental change in the national character, one that will have major ramifications for politics and even social cohesion.

By the numbers: A Gallup poll released last week found just 47% of Americans reported belonging to a house of worship, down from 50% in 2018 and 70% as recently as 1999.

• The shift away from organized religion is a 21st century phenomenon. U.S. religious membership was 73% when Gallup first measured it in 1937, and stayed above 70% for the next six decades.

Context: The decline in membership is primarily driven by a sharp rise in the "nones" — Americans who express no religious preference.

• The percentage of Americans who do not identify with any religion rose from 8% between 1998 and 2000 to 21% over the past three years, while the percentage of nones who do not belong to a house of worship has risen as well.

The big picture: The story of a more secular America is chiefly — though not entirely — one of generational change.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

How does anyone justify this with the concept of a loving god?

Not sure what you are saying. If there is a God, why they would allow this to happen? Or that there isn't a God because things like this happen?

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

How does anyone justify this with the concept of a loving god?

We don't hear much of gross Buddhists in the news.  Maybe that's the religion we should be adhering to!

edit:  Never mind.  They have sucky people too.  What god do the dolphins follow.  They seem like good folks!

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, knapplc said:

Too many people throw away their God-given intelligence and don't question things but believe
conspiracies without question- not using critical thinking skills to evaluate the truthfulness of a theory. 
I would especially find fault with religious leaders who do not take the time to teach people to think critically.
Critical thinking is not a threat to religious thought and faith - it can actually deepen it and support it.  I teach my students
to think critically(I'm a adjunct business professor on the side - the 'job" that really motivates me) and it saddens me to see
adults throwing away their minds and letting others do the thinking for them.  It is lazy, self-harming, and dangerous to themselves and others(think Jan 6th)
and most of all it is a denial of the faith they profess. The apostle Paul and early church leaders who built the faith on reason, sound doctrine, and evidences
would do a few of these :facepalm::bang if they could see how USA evangelicals are treating the Faith. 
The apostle Paul would tell the USA evangelicals what he told Timothy in 2 Timothy 23-25
23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth

On 5/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, TGHusker said:

Too many people throw away their God-given intelligence and don't question things but believe
conspiracies without question- not using critical thinking skills to evaluate the truthfulness of a theory. 
I would especially find fault with religious leaders who do not take the time to teach people to think critically.
Critical thinking is not a threat to religious thought and faith - it can actually deepen it and support it.  I teach my students
to think critically(I'm a adjunct business professor on the side - the 'job" that really motivates me) and it saddens me to see
adults throwing away their minds and letting others do the thinking for them.  It is lazy, self-harming, and dangerous to themselves and others(think Jan 6th)
and most of all it is a denial of the faith they profess. The apostle Paul and early church leaders who built the faith on reason, sound doctrine, and evidences
would do a few of these :facepalm::bang if they could see how USA evangelicals are treating the Faith. 
The apostle Paul would tell the USA evangelicals what he told Timothy in 2 Timothy 23-25
23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth

We want you to think critically. Now let me tell you about this talking snake and global flood that killed everyone but 8 people who lived to be over 150 years old. Lol. Just messing with you. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

We want you to think critically. Now let me tell you about this talking snake and global flood that killed everyone but 8 people who lived to be over 150 years old. Lol. Just messing with you. 

:thumbs  No problem.    There is a lot of allegory and story telling in the Bible to get the 'lesson' out.   Kind of a Kenny Rogers thing - "Got to know when to hold them, Got to know when to fold them"   That is your deep spiritual meditation thought of the day. :D

• 3 weeks later...