Weird Time for Christians

23 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Lol lets listen to what the child molestors have to say about this. 

The Church has no doubt had its disgusting issue with child molesting throughout the years.   That said, hopefully you have proof that those bishops speaking out on the issue are actually  child molestors before disparaging the entire group with that specific charge. I’m sure that’s against a board rule somewhere if you don’t have that proof.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Lol..let’s listen to the thoughts of non-Catholics about this. 

I was baptized catholic so technically I am a catholic so I guess my opinion counts. Sorry. 

I was an alter boy and everything. The head priest while I was there had sexual allegations against him and instead of looking into them, the church moved him to another church. 

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I was baptized catholic so technically I am a catholic so I guess my opinion counts. Sorry. 

I was an alter boy and everything. The head priest while I was there had sexual allegations against him and instead of looking into them, the church moved him to another church. 

That story has no bearing on you calling the US Bishops child molestors as a whole.  If you want to call individual priests or bishops that have been shown to conduct in that abhorrent behavior, I’ll be right with you calling it out.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

That story has no bearing on you calling the US Bishops child molestors as a whole.  If you want to call individual priests or bishops that have been shown to conduct in that abhorrent behavior, I’ll be right with you calling it out.  

The hierarchy of the US catholic church knowingly covered up child molestation happening all across the country and tried to sweep it under the rug. The catholic church is as evil and corrupt an organization can be and the whole church is guilty by association. Sorry if you feel differently. 

With that being said, I actually dont hate the Pope now. I think he is trying to make mends for what happened. Hes trying to bring the church into the 21st century and the hypocrit right wingers hate it. One minute they believe the Pope has direct access to God and he is Gods earthly disciple…until they disagree with him politically on something and then hes just a human making s#!t up. Make up your damn minds. 

• Plus1 2

On 6/18/2021 at 5:28 PM, Frott Scost said:

The hierarchy of the US catholic church knowingly covered up child molestation happening all across the country and tried to sweep it under the rug. The catholic church is as evil and corrupt an organization can be and the whole church is guilty by association. Sorry if you feel differently. 

With that being said, I actually dont hate the Pope now. I think he is trying to make mends for what happened. Hes trying to bring the church into the 21st century and the hypocrit right wingers hate it. One minute they believe the Pope has direct access to God and he is Gods earthly disciple…until they disagree with him politically on something and then hes just a human making s#!t up. Make up your damn minds. 

I'm not one to generally defend the Catholic Church, but the bolded rhetoric would get absolutely lambasted and torn apart around here if it was made in relation to any number of other group or groups of people. There are/were a lot of bad apples within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, just like there are/were a lot of good apples inside the hierarchy that have been verbally outspoken against their problems.

Operating in absolutes is rarely a commendable conversation tactic and is generally intended to get an emotional reaction out of people... not a logical one.

And you even admitted the Pope is trying to address and make amends for what happened, mixed in with some commentary about right wingers and other political issues. So, is he guilty? Is he not guilty? And where do we draw the line on what makes it OK to make an entire group of people guilty for the actions of others vs. when it's not OK? Since you said the "whole church," I assume the parishioners guilty for all of this as well even if they had nothing to do with it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not one to generally defend the Catholic Church, but the bolded rhetoric would get absolutely lambasted and torn apart around here if it was made in relation to any number of other group or groups of people. There are/were a lot of bad apples within the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, just like there are/were a lot of good apples inside the hierarchy that have been verbally outspoken against their problems.

Operating in absolutes is rarely a commendable conversation tactic and is generally intended to get an emotional reaction out of people... not a logical one.

And you even admitted the Pope is trying to address and make amends for what happened, mixed in with some commentary about right wingers and other political issues. So, is he guilty? Is he not guilty? And where do we draw the line on what makes it OK to make an entire group of people guilty for the actions of others vs. when it's not OK? Since you said the "whole church," I assume the parishioners guilty for all of this as well even if they had nothing to do with it.

I'm not sure why there's pushback against this statement and not against the myriad similar sentiments made against political parties and/or specific politicians.

This seems like a departure from how this forum has been functioning for the past, say, 15 years. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Not the people who attend. Im not sure why people would want to give their money to a organization like that instead of finding a different church, but thats their decision. My parents and aunts still go to catholic church. All my siblings left and went to other demoninations. I fell out of religion all together, although Im still pretty spiritual person. 

Its my opinion and my opinion only that the catholic church is evil and corrupt. You can look up some of the stuff they do if you want via google to show you why I think this. The church has more money in the vatican then it knows what to do with. They can literally feed entire countries, but they buy gold platted toilet seats for the pope instead. And I do like this pope, I think hea very progressive. Right wingers dont because he is advocating for gay marriage. Its hypocritical because people in the church believe the Pope has direct access to God and hes Gods chosen human on Earth. So if the Pope is saying gay people need to have the same rights as others and apologizes for the way theyve been treated, this is a message coming directly from God. If you disagree politically with the Pope, you disagree with God. Instead they just say hes human making stuff up. So hes either a human making stuff up or he is Gods Earthly disciple. Cant be both based on politics. I am in the camp of human making stuff up, but again, thats just my opinion. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm not sure why there's pushback against this statement and not against the myriad similar sentiments made against political parties and/or specific politicians.

This seems like a departure from how this forum has been functioning for the past, say, 15 years. 

There's pushback against claims and 'sentiments' made on this board all the time, every day, particularly when people make statements in the absolute. It's a normal part of conversation, which is what I'm attempting to have with Frott. I don't see what that has to do with forum functionality and there's probably a better home for that conversation than this thread.

2 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Not the people who attend. Im not sure why people would want to give their money to a organization like that instead of finding a different church, but thats their decision. My parents and aunts still go to catholic church. All my siblings left and went to other demoninations. I fell out of religion all together, although Im still pretty spiritual person. 

Its my opinion and my opinion only that the catholic church is evil and corrupt. You can look up some of the stuff they do if you want via google to show you why I think this. The church has more money in the vatican then it knows what to do with. They can literally feed entire countries, but they buy gold platted toilet seats for the pope instead. And I do like this pope, I think hea very progressive. Right wingers dont because he is advocating for gay marriage. Its hypocritical because people in the church believe the Pope has direct access to God and hes Gods chosen human on Earth. So if the Pope is saying gay people need to have the same rights as others and apologizes for the way theyve been treated, this is a message coming directly from God. If you disagree politically with the Pope, you disagree with God. Instead they just say hes human making stuff up. So hes either a human making stuff up or he is Gods Earthly disciple. Cant be both based on politics. I am in the camp of human making stuff up, but again, thats just my opinion. 

For what it's worth, I'm not criticizing your overall feelings about the Catholic Church. I was more confused or questioning of the absolutes being thrown around, particularly when it's common for us to criticize opinions that cast generalities onto other entire groups of people... be it religious or political in nature. It rarely leads to a good place.

The church is well-deserving of the criticism it receives, particularly inside the U.S. leadership structure. But there are also some good people there trying to do the right thing, whether they're leaders or parishioners. I'm neither, and I have my own issues with my experiences with the Catholic Church, but I also thinks it’s important to be aware that there are still good people there.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

There's pushback against claims and 'sentiments' made on this board all the time, every day, particularly when people make statements in the absolute. It's a normal part of conversation, which is what I'm attempting to have with Frott. I don't see what that has to do with forum functionality and there's probably a better home for that conversation than this thread.

It depends who's saying this - Enhance the member or Enhance the Mod. If the former, sure, this is normal conversation. If the latter, I'm sure you can see why that may be construed as policy-changing.

It's difficult to tell which hat you're wearing sometimes. Hence the question.

On one side, you have a large group of people that attempt to use their pious nature and religious belief to look down on those that don't have the same belief systems that they do - while behind the scenes, they are as guilty as...well...sin (no pun intended).

On the other side, you have a large group of people that are atheist/agnostic and are tired of the other group looking down upon them merely just because they don't have the same belief systems that they do.

And, In the middle, there's those that have a believe, but also believe that life is too short, hell is too hot, and we have too much drama in our own lives to worry about the spiritual well being of another 24/7, so we'll tell someone about our belief, and if they so CHOOSE to listen, then let's talk, otherwise, keep it movin, and I'll still invite you to the BBQ no matter if you have the same beliefs I do or not.

It's like the Great Chicken Sammich War of 2019 all over again...

• Plus1 1

Upton Sinclair quote below - so sadly true & prophetic.   We have corrupted politicians in alignment with corrupted 'pastors' (more like wolves in sheep clothing)

to create their version of Utopia.  Which is Hell for everyone else - ask the Jews in Germany 1930s & 40s. 

Trump loves uneducated people who can't think for themselves.  Seems like this is what Satan loves as well.

• Plus1 1