Weird Time for Christians

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The forbidden fruit story is best understood as a fable exploring the problem or the burden of consciousness and what to do about it. 

Before becoming conscious, there's no such thing as good/bad/right/wrong, and creatures only exist in harmony with the planet around them in the way they're meant to.

I forget the term for it right now...but you can't have good if you don't have bad.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What did Christianity get wrong about Jesus?  In your view.

Well, the first foundational thing is just the concept of a specific set apart religion in his name seems entirely contrary to his ministry and ethos. Then, the "modern" traditional concept of hell/the afterlife and all the infrastructure surrounding the childish idea of "good people go to the good place and bad people go to the bad place" (I'm simplifying that, I know that Christians would say "No it's not about being a good person you can't earn your salvation") are also incompatible or at least nonsensical in regards to the work of Christ as well, who was primarily focused on how to live now and not at all focused on the afterlife as the goal and destination.

• Plus1 4
  • 2 weeks later...

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

I was wondering why so many people were speaking out about how they thought the Russian form of 'Christianity' was more attractive than what we see here in the USA.

Many are pro-trump people with an ax to grind wt the media, a trumpless government and with any thing that isn't MAGA related or sponsored.  Pretty warped :blink: mind to think Putin should be the example for modern day Christians.   I seem to recall this carpenter from Israel....

From the article:

In a viral social media clip pulled from a far-right internet talk show on the eve of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, former Republican U.S. Senate candidate Lauren Witzke of Delaware praised Russia as a "Christian nationalist nation." Witzke is studying to convert to ROCOR.

"I identify more with Russian — with Putin's Christian values — than I do with Joe Biden," Witzke said in the video. She declined to speak with NPR for this story.

Sarkisian said Witzke's view typifies those of far-right converts to ROCOR, who have been receptive to Kremlin propaganda portraying Putin as a pious defender of Orthodoxy and traditional values. He said Putin also represents to them an appealing style of authoritarian leadership that challenges pluralism and liberal democracy in the United States.

"They are anti-democratic by nature," Sarkisian said. "They are a part of these larger networks on the American far right, like Nicholas Fuentes and his America Firsters. They connect into these nodes that are challenging the very fabric of American democracy."

Witzke, a MAGA supporter who ran on an anti-immigration platform in 2020, has appeared on Orthodox podcasts, where she has identified herself as aligned with the white nationalist America First movement. She also, at one time, seemed to support QAnon conspiracy theories but has since renounced QAnon. The media ecosystem she has participated in, a network of American converts to ROCOR who produce podcasts and live video chats online, presents a highly politicized interpretation of Orthodoxy to the world and one that many believe offers a distorted view of the church.

"This is how people are finding Orthodoxy now. They're finding Orthodoxy through these YouTube shows. They're finding it through these podcasts. They're finding it through these blogs," said Sarkisian. "They're being radicalized by these folks on the internet, and that's really dangerous."

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

:laughpound

When anyone believes the "story telling and tweets" coming from NPR, they pretty much admit to aligning with MSNBC for their political views.  Even though it is made up rubbish.  Because they will gladly take those views and likes to stay in existence. 

Why people believe NPR, I will never know.  But people do for sure.

Case in point.

Back in the day, NPR used to be 50/50 (pre 2000) and respectable.  The format shifted hard to the dollars coming from the left. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
58 minutes ago, admo said:

When anyone believes the "story telling and tweets" coming from NPR, they pretty much admit to aligning with MSNBC for their political views.  Even though it is made up rubbish.  Because they will gladly take those views and likes to stay in existence. 

Case in point.

Back in the day, NPR used to be 50/50 (pre 2000) and respectable.  The format shifted hard to the dollars coming from the left. 

I do think it leans left, but they do a pretty good job. But you do have a point, facts and reality have a well known liberal bias.

• Plus1 8

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I do think it leans left, but they do a pretty good job. But you do have a point, facts and reality have a well known liberal bias.

Yeah, the problem I have is that I love listening to NPR at times, most of my life.  I can be at a park shooting hoops, with my big a$$ navy blue CIA surburban (with tinted windows down) nearby with NPR cranked up...  I have tons of stories like that.  Even tuned in Live, near a warehouse parking lot, the night Trump beat Hilary Clinton,.... Although I was personally in shock, I was disappointed that NPR was pissed and upset and moaning and in disbelief...  it really sucked to hear that coming from them....   I miss the older days when it wasn't so much like that, you know?  Just report the f#&%ing news, and stay away from the political bias.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, admo said:

Case in point.

Unbiased is not synonymous with 50/50. If one side murders baby kittens just for the fun of it and the other side solves world hunger without doing anything immoral, unbiased is wholeheartedly supporting the latter. These are extremes to make a point, but I see comments all the time suggesting that the media has to equally support the Democratic party and the Republican party, regardless of how horrible or good one or the other is. That is not what bias is. Bias is deciding whether something is good or bad regardless of who is doing the good or bad thing. It's focusing on the WHAT, not the WHO.

f a Democrat does a s#!tty thing and a Republican does the same s#!tty thing, unbiased means treating them both the same. If 9 Democrats do a s#!tty thing and 1 Republican does the same s#!tty thing, unbiased means giving the Democrats 90% of the negative coverage and the Republican 10% of the negative coverage. In this situation, the Republican only getting 10% of the negative coverage doesn't mean the news organization is biased for Republicans. It means they are treating both sides equally based on the what.

• Plus1 6
6 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Christians who believe Putin is Christian are just as dumb as Christians who believe Trump is Christian. They probably hate communists too.

You mean to tell me  "TWO Corinthians " isn't a Christian?  Knock me over with a feather :o:sarcasm   By their fruits you'll know them.

Of course I hear people say "We didn't elect a National Pastor".  Character doesn't matter.  Same People 20 years before: "Clinton is an immoral leader".  Character matters. 

Character always matters in my book as well as competency.  Trump lacked both. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

You mean to tell me  "TWO Corinthians " isn't a Christian?  Knock me over with a feather :o:sarcasm   By their fruits you'll know them.

Of course I hear people say "We didn't elect a National Pastor".  Character doesn't matter.  Same People 20 years before: "Clinton is an immoral leader".  Character matters. 

Character always matters in my book as well as competency.  Trump lacked both. 

I understand this is an old reference to Trump. I'm not going to comment on people's faith and say it is real or not, but depending on your background or where you are from, Two Corinthians might be a common way of referencing 2 Corinthians. I am not going to get mad about how someone might reference scripture. However, you are right, you can tell by their fruits (even though the world might not value the fruit). 

• Plus1 1